Applaud our GM for an incredible base to build on!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Apr 29, 2018.

1. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

As I look at our roster at the moment, I can't help but be really enthusiastic for the future of this franchise. Never before have we had such a strong nucleus of young talent that not only have capability on the field, but also have incredible leadership skills and intangibles. For once, we're not hanging our hats on 2 year window vets that have shady pasts, but we have foundational players that give us at least a 5 year window, if not more. The free agent signings have been younger guys with a longer timeline and also have a history of being team guys.

The group that really excites me at this point are these guys in no particular order:

-Jamal Adams
    -Marcus Maye
    -Leonard Williams
    -Quincy Enunwa
    -Brandon Shell
    -Brian Winters
    -Sam Darnold (might take a year but he will turn out to be great)
    -Trumaine Johnson
    -Robby Anderson (if he can clean up off field)
    -Darron Lee (has improved every year)
    -Jordan Jenkins
    -Avery Williamson

These are guys that are here to stay, will be productive for us and will pay a role in helping us win more games.

2. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

You forgot Lorenzo Mauldin and Parry Nickerson. I'm expecting a big year from Lorenzo. Nickerson is gonna be a stud in the Jets secondary.

FrontOfficeFanatic likes this.
  3. LV Coach

LV Coach Well-Known Member

I agree. It looks like our roster has been upgraded. Start with a QB, who may be ready by mid season to come in and play. The only thing I'm missing is a starting center with smarts and drive. We've been spoiled with Mawae. The move to younger players will also work out. They want to succeed and grow their salaries. The team potentially looks better then the past few years. But potential needs strong coaching to grow them up.

FrontOfficeFanatic likes this.
  4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

What keeps you so high on mauldin?

Jets69 and James Hasty like this.
  5. FrontOfficeFanatic

I will say I expected a lot from Lorenzo as well, but I have been a bit disappointed with his progression. It seems like he has had trouble rushing the passer as well. I hope your right though and he has a big year, that would be a game changer.

I expect Parry to come in and be a lot like Mickens was for us...he reminds me a lot of him and Think he will be a solid corner for us.

6. FrontOfficeFanatic

Agreed! We hit the jackpot twice with center...this was my only downside to trading away our second rounders this year. We could have gotten a guy like James Daniels that would have fit the bill for us. Spencer Long should be solid, but we need to add a guard and center. Next offseason will be important.

7. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I wish I shared your enthusiasm but I don't. I feel we have hit on our first round draft picks but have wasted many others under Mac. I feel our Def line was better 3 years ago then it is now , I hate our linebackers and our secondary is strong. On OFFENSE I think our line has rarely if ever been addressed and is at best average under Mac and we are still searching for Tight ends although we possible might have something but we still don't know. Our RBs are ok at best and although we have many WRs on the roster no one scares a defense and again they are average at best----the QB hopefully is a home run,,,,,,,but to applaud Mac is a stretch in my eyes ps I don't know if this coach can develop the kids especially on offense. My expectations for this year are once again low in the win loss column

#7 CBG, Apr 29, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  8. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

Let's not forget Nick Mangold.

AJW and Aewhistory like this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

You took the words right out of...my keyboard.

alleycat9, NYJetsO12 and tomdeb like this.
  10. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Our defense has gotten better. I do feel they have improved the LB position in free agency so we disagree there. The offensive line will be the death of the2018 jets and Mac overall. I think Shell is the highest draft pick under Mac. He must of known fergie and nick were at the end and waited

M00ndawg likes this.
  11. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

The biggest hole on this team (after filling the FQB hole) other than edge pass rusher is an explosive offensive playmaker. An OBJ or Antonio Brown or Hunt or Gurley or Bell or Gronk or Graham etc.

Robbie is a nice fast deep threat but he’s not in that class and he’s likely to get suspended for a while.

We haven’t had a guy like that in a while. Guys that defenses need to game plan for.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  12. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

He's gonna be healthy this season.

13. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

. I think the hope is Terrell Pryor plays like he did 2 years ago. I mean we did invest 2 high picks in last years draft in wr so I guess between the young players and Pryor someone steps up and becomeS the man. These guys don’t grow on trees

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  14. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

Mac has definitely picked up some nice players, but there's much more work to be done. About the offensive line, it's definitely a concern based on last year's performance. It definitely needed some help, but it's not the worst position group. That's because the offensive line has been upgraded at it's weakest point, Center. Here is what the 2017 Jets started:

RT: Shell/Ijalana
    RG: Winters/Qvale
    C: Johnson
    LG: Carpenter
    LT Beachum/Ijalana

No one's arguing that the 2017 offensive line was slightly above the Wayne "Turnstyle" Hunter days. The dive that Wesley Johnson took was absolutely incredible from serviceable in 2016 to unwatchable in 2017. I wouldn't start any young QB behind that line, much less Darnold, who we need to produce for a decade plus. Good thing the Jets made a couple changes. Here's what the 2018 Jets will be starting:

RT: Shell
    RG: Winters/Long/Qvale
    C: Swanson/Long/Harrison
    LG: Carpenter//Dozier
    LT: Beachum/Ijalana

Unless Long and Swanson both get hurt or regress into Johnson/Hunter, the 2018 line should be improved. (Long also plays LG so, conceivably, the Jets could start him at LG and shift Carpenter over to the RG?) Additionally, Shell should be better with another year under his belt. It seems like the FO is gambling that Winters, Shell, Carp, and Beachum all have adequate physical talent, and that these players will be fine with a Center, or Center/QB tandem, that has the smarts to make the correct protection calls to put them into places to succeed.

Would it have been better if Mac got more help in FA? Absolutely. Does this position group appear weak right now? Yes. Is it the weakest Jets position group? Arguable - I'd say that Mac needs more talent at LB. TL;DR: there's nice pieces on the team (especially Darnold), but it doesn't overshadow expectations that the Jets would be further along by now.

15. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

I believe the O line will take a greater priority for 2019 when Sam is handed the keys. Perhaps some FA studs will be on the market? We'll have the cash.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  16. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

You certainly have become more optimistic lately.

17. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

The Jets might actually be good soon. And not the fake 2015 good that was propped up by rentals. Like, actually good.

18. CotcheryFan

We need playmakers on offense, at least 2 high end OL, and an edge rusher or two. While I applaud Macc for being bold and trading up for a FQB, he still hasn't addressed the OL or edge rusher early in the draft.

19. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Franchise QB, 2x high quality OL AND blue-chip edge rusher could all be addressed in one draft, eh? That's a news to me.

20. CotcheryFan

No, but OL and edge rusher could've been addressed in his previous 3 drafts.