Anyone have mlb.tv?

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by Yisman, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

let me know.

2. NYCKNP

NYCKNP Member

I don't subscribe to MLB.TV, but did use it during a free trial I got last July. It's really good. You can watch any game (excluding the team in your local area, as well as FOX and ESPN games) live, use DVR controls, watch either the home or away feed, and switch audio from the TV announcers to Radio announcers (sometimes no commentary if you have the home feed on a certain game).

As for the games in your local area, you can watch the game on-demand after the game is over.

3. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

I had it for years, just canceled it this year. It was getting pricey and I don't use it much, plus I have XM on my phone and computer so the handful of Dodger games that happen while I'm at work I can get that way.

MLB.TV had upgraded the quality and choice of broadcasts over the past few years, but only kept it this long because it self-renews and would do so before I remembered to cancel it. Originally I signed up for it as GameDay Audio back around 2000 and evolved with it to the TV part as connections and quality got better. The local blackout is an issue if yo're a fan of a local team, I'm not so it didn't affect me.

4. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

^ but doesn't that mean you can't watch the Dodgers now? Or are you watching streams?

5. Italian Seafood

Yes, I can't watch them from work anymore. Maybe it's my computer at the office but the video wasn't even coming in by the end of last season, just the highlights, and it was slowing down all my other programs.

I have the DirecTV package at home and they only play a handful of games while I'm at work all year, which is the only place I was using it. Plus, as a west coast team the day games start at 3 or 4 pm, so I was paying a lot of money for a handful of innings all year. Up until the past couple of years there were a lot of games not on the DirecTV package but that almost never happens anymore, so I was no longer using it at home.

It seems like you're a fan of watching more games in general than just your team, so it probably has more value to you.

6. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I have it. Me and 2 of my buddies split it up and use the same account. Have had no problems using it at the same time in different locations.

7. Italian Seafood

Yeah, I had a couple of friends I'd let use mine at different times and it never was a problem getting on. I don't think it's a bad deal, it just doesn't fit my needs anymore since I have DirecTV and XM, and being a Dodger fan.

8. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

You can still see anything on FirstRow (eu) and most are good quality so why bother?

9. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Living nowhere near NYC I have to go out of my way to get Yankee games.... My PS3 streams MLB.tv in HD it's pretty fuckin solid. $40 (120/3) for every MLB game not in primetime, I'm fine with that deal.

I'm surprised they haven't put restrictions on how many people can view an account at a time, but I'm glad.

And only a matter of time before they shut down FirstRow.eu. They already got the other FirstRow site.

10. deathstar

deathstar Well-Known Member

^All of the US based domains were shutdown...

With an .eu and non US servers, they are outside the reach of the Feds...

11. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

Not true. Every day several games do not have streams.

12. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I'm sure whoever the fuck is in charge of the .eu domain names will act in due time.

13. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

Less about who's in charge, more about extraterritorial jurisdiction.

14. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

Yes, the .eu and various other domains are not under US control.

The US government also seized some sports betting sites, but the ones that had a non-.com suffix didn't have a problem.

15. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Well that's wonderful. Looks like I'll get to watch every single Floyd Mayweather fight without paying the asshole a dime :beer: