Anyone have info on Above Ground Pool Heaters ?

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by CBG, May 31, 2017.

1. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

My Laars heater crapped out last year looking for a 250,000 BTU or better,,,I have been reading reviews but they are all over the place . I know Jandy is supposedly good and Hayward , Pentair ,,,but can anyone add any insight ? I have looked at Amazon and on all these sites as well,,,,,let me know thanks

2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

What's wrong with your heater? They are pretty basic and can be repaired with a few parts

3. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Hey FJF ,,,its pretty shot,,it actually went 2 years ago and sat all last year. Heat chamber shot , replaced 1 or 2 things here and there but it had a very good run its pretty rusted and done internally at this point . As I said I had a LAARS 250 ,000 BTU ,,,,but my understanding is Jandy bought them out or now owns them . Its time , I'm looking to go new any info appreciated , as I am reading online reviews and they are all over the place .Been checking out Jandy, Pentair ,and I thought Hayward was good but the reviews are really mixed .

4. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

BTW we really need the ability to chat on this site

FJF likes this.
  5. FJF

well, i have installed and repaired a few in my lifetime and for what its worth, sta rite was always my preferred brand. cost and quality, i always felt like it was the best value.
    [​IMG]

CBG likes this.
  6. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Wholly smokes FJay ,,u threw me a curve ,,I will check it out thanks

FJF likes this.
  7. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

FJAY,,,,,Im still looking at all these but keep in mind after I purchase this thing I expect you to leave a cell or office # so that when it needs service or if I have a question about the warranty you are at my beck n call .

FJF likes this.
  8. FJF

I got your back C,Keep in mind,sta rite is owned by pentair and essentially is the same heater in a different package. Never had problems with pentair warranties.
    It's funny, I got a text from a buddy yesterday morning saying his laars is done and he grabbed a used Hayward he wants me to install.

CBG likes this.
  9. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Let me ask you a question all powerful heater/weather knowledge guy-----I put the gas line in with the old heater as I said it was 250,000 BTU,,,,if I want to go bigger this time 333,000 or 4 can my line handle that or is this a can of worms and would need to upgrade the line ? If I find a decent deal I would go bigger if I can

10. FJF

The line should be fine, may have to adjust the pressure, measured in water column inches" for the new heater.i always recommend the gas supply company so that, its their regulator.

CBG likes this.
  11. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

FJAY,,,,,,fresh water not salt and heater will only be used when we have a party or people coming over that said do I go with "Cupro Nickel" or does that really even matter ? Says less corrosive and for heavy use but honestly not sure what the heck it is ? I can tell you it co$t a little more ,,,thoughts ?

12. FJF

Copper nickel, used in the heat exchanger to prolong the life of the exchanger. If you were happy with the life of the old heater I wouldn't pay the extra on this one.

CBG likes this.
  13. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I think this could be my last question FJay so a drum roll..........Do you have any suggestions where to purchase it ? Im starting to sound like BROOK oh god help me---->lol
    I can get it off amazon but lots of reviews say they come damaged,,,,,,,could go to my local pool place that I deal with but the plumber they use I had a falling out with so cant go to them,,,,,looked at a few sites such as leslie and the price of the heater is like $500 more than others,,,, I can have whoever I buy it from do hookups OR everything is out there I can do electric hookup myself and can get my friend the plumber here to do the gas hookup unless you are not busy Fjay IN THAT CASE u can do it,,,,,,lol
    so again ---> suggestion where to purchase it ?

14. FJF

It's a pretty simple swap, I would order online. As much as I like to help the local guy, your going to get a better price online. Don't forget to register your warranty when you get it

CBG likes this.
  15. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Please carry your water heater bromance to private. Jeezus. :mad::mad::mad:

CBG likes this.
  16. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

NOW , NOW Brook,,,,,when you had all those ARIENS / Snow blower questions did anyone tell you to get a room ? just sayin

Brook! likes this.
  17. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I hear you Fjay thanks for all the input,,,,,,,

18. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Man, I am busted :) I am glad FJF could help. :)

CBG likes this.
  19. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

FJAY,,Im like Columbo,,,just one more question ,,,,this heater need to sit on a pad or can it sit on the earth ? old heater sat on the ground

20. FJF

should be on a pad, coupe of cinder blocks works

what did you decide on?