Anyone Besides Darnold/Rosen at 3...We Failed

Discussion in 'Draft' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Mar 21, 2018.

1. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

Based on Mac's very mathematical and economically based philosophy.....I don't understand how anyone besides these two prospects would be worth the draft currency we spent to move up to 3. Utilizing a number 3 overall selection + the three second round selections to obtain that pick has to be for a player that has a exceptionally high floor as a prospect. Rosen, Darnold, Chubb, Nelson and Barkley all fit that criteria in terms of a high floor. However.....Chubb, Nelson and Barkley wouldn't justify giving up the 3 seconds....not to mention could have been had at 6. Let's look at the other QB prospects; Allen (accuracy issues against pitiful competition is an enormous red flag), Mayfield is a risk because of the system adjustment, as well as off the field stuff....this makes it hard to justify risking that much draft currency for.

This is a very black and white way of looking at this. Not trying to be sarcastic or pessimistic, but rather framing this in the way that our current GM claims to see things (hence the other thread about if he actually practices what he preaches). Some of you already are questioning why spending all that draft capital to obtain the number 3, where we are NOT guaranteed anything. Instead, we leave ourselves open to being jumped like a vulnerable pawn in a chess game. As a matter of fact, this is not too different than what happened with Cousins...showing our cards wayyy too early and giving opponents time to utilize our stupidity for their advantage. Now the Giants are sitting pretty with plan A and B on the table....draft the best QB and snub us or trade out and have our rivals get the better QB.

We made this trade as a Hail Mary attempt.....better hope it works!

boozer32 and RochesterJet like this.
  2. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

3. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

I don’t disagree but you don’t risk the trade to #3 if you only have interest in two QBs (who will probably go #1 & #2). The FO thinks there’s at least one other player worth the trade.

4. FrontOfficeFanatic

This is precisely where my frustration is.....the idea that there is another player that has a high enough floor to be worth such draft capital is asinine. There's no escaping the facts. Allen would be a Hack type of gamble...this high in the draft is not where you take it! The Carson Wentz comparisons are like comparing Stephen Hill to AJ Green because they were tall, muscular and fast.....

RochesterJet likes this.
  5. Seth

Seth Active Member

Lol, no.

GordonGecko and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  6. FrontOfficeFanatic

Ok, Darnold, Rosen are gone......who do you feel is worth it at number 3 overall?

7. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Amazing that someone can make a statement like this a month before we even select a player, let alone before said player even is on the field for an NFL snap.

8. FrontOfficeFanatic

I respect your opinion, but aren't we basing the selection off college game tape and statistics from college....I'm not saying that Allen can't become a HOF QB, but we need to assess risk with what we do know and not projections. What changes in a month from now?

9. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

My suspicion is that the Jets are either comfortable with, or perhaps even targeting Josh Allen as a top 3 player.

I also think Chubb warrants a top 3 selection..... although when you factor that we traded all those picks to move up the few spots it does seem like there is no way that could have been "the plan"

10. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Maybe Macc has inside info that The Browns will draft Allen and the Giants will draft Barkley. Then they have the choice of both.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

You may not like it or understand it, but be very aware that Mac has a 3rd QB in mind -- and this is where the argument comes in - Allen or Mayfield -------

Ginger or Maryann

12. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I don't understand how you can say that, @FrontOfficeFanatic. As I said before: Nothing matters except for the play of the #3 overall pick on the field. So there is no failure UNTIL the pick fails. Even if you draft Darnold or Rosen: They have to play well. So not a single person can truly grade the trade with the Colts until at least 2021. Either the pick is a franchise QB or he isn't.

13. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

If that's the case, I'd be thrilled with either Rosen or Darnold.

14. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

How many thread can be created about the 3rd pick, and how we will screw it up, I believe we now have 6 on the first page.

15. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

People like to think their opinion is special and more relevant than anyone else so they make new threads. That's why there's like 4 Barkley threads alone.

16. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I guess the only thing I can say is a guy on a Jets fan message board might not have all the answers. No offense either, I’m including myself.

JetBlue likes this.
  17. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

You don’t trade to number three if you only think two players are worth the trade value.

18. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I too am ambivalent about the value we will get for this huge investment and all we can do is hope for the best. Many mocks had Rosen coming to us at 6. No-one here knows any better.

A run on QB's would have most likely gotten us a DE stud in B.Chubb with a 37 and 49 pick later.

RochesterJet and Section 336 like this.
  19. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Downvote.

TonyFtLaud and Sam Hammer like this.
  20. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

It really is amazing to me the divide between the NFL media and fans in regards to Josh Allen. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a prospect like this that is so loved by the experts and so I hated by Jets fans( not sure about other fanbases).

Harpua and TonyFtLaud like this.