Any chance Browns or Giants go Non-QB in 1st round?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Mar 18, 2018.

1. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Think the Browns go QB and trade up to #2.

Rockinz likes this.
  2. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

I think Browns take a QB, and Giants either take a QB themselves or else trade down and whoever comes up to #2 takes a QB. I think Jets will be stuck with Allen or Mayfield. I think they make the wrong move and take Allen. I really really hope I'm wrong.

3. SettlerDawg

SettlerDawg Well-Known Member

Pretty much 99% sure the first 2 picks will be QB's. You simply can't pass on Darnold and Allen, and to some extent Rosen. I think Cleveland takes Darnold, Giants take Allen, and we take Rosen. Mayfield will bust unless he goes to a team with a top o-line and good weapons who can take screen passes to the house. Like no joke, 80% of Mayfield's passes are either screen passes or short passes off of play-action. If you don't believe me, watch the tape. Whenever he throws deep, his wide receivers are wide open. I see a mobile version of post-shoulder surgery Chad Pennington. Mayfield won't get away with his play-style in the NFL. I think he might drop to Buffalo at this rate.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

What in the world makes you think Mayfield will bust? Sorry, but that's just laughable. Darnold and he are the two safest, most bust-prone QBs, and even Darnold can bust due to the hitch in his throwing motion and his TOs. I've seen Mayfield play a good bit, and you are wrong about 80% of his passes. Mayfield has the second strongest arm of the top 4. He's just a little behind Allen. One scouting report said that he was also losing some velocity because he didn't always use his hips correctly. Comparing his arm to Chad's is laughable and shows that you have no clue what you're talking about. His work ethic and determination are definitely better than any of the other top 4. He has to work harder, because he's probably less naturally talented than the other 3, but you don't walk on at two major universities, win over the CSs and wind up starting your first year, if you have no talent, have a bad character, and can't make all the throws.

It's amazing the crap I read on here by guys trying to make Mayfield look bad!

westiedog1 likes this.
  5. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Why would you force an over valued position pick on a potential bust instead of going with the best overall talent and highest ranked prospect in the draft? Unless you are a QB needy team, it makes no sense. The Giants still have 1-2 years left with Eli. They don't need a QB yet, so it makes sense for them to go with the sure thing that will help them compete over those next 2 years. They have enough talent on that team to make another run.

6. NCJetsfan

I totally disagree. Eli isn't playing that well even right now. In a year or two, it could be a lot worse. Unless they really like Webb and think he's Eli's successor, they probably won't be drafting anywhere near the top 5 again, so won't have a chance in a year or two to draft Eli's successor. It makes total sense, and if they're smart, they'll get a QB now. Allen could sit for that year or two and have a chance to learn and fix his fundamentals/accuracy issues. He has the highest upside of any of the QBs. The Meadowlands needs a QB with a strong arm. They could also take Rosen or Mayfield if they don't like Allen and are afraid of his bust potential. They can grab a great RB prospect somewhere in the 2nd - 4th rounds. They don't have to take Barkley.

7. Sam Hammer

I see what you're saying about Eli, but I personally think his struggles are reflective of the deteriorating oline, lack of running game and numerous injuries to his targets. He's never been a "carry the team" type of QB, he needs talent around him.

If the Giants do indeed build the oline back up and get Barkley, they could literally turn it around THIS year and be back in playoff contention. That's the reasoning why I think it happens. They are in the position where they don't necessarily have to tear the whole thing down and rebuild yet.

You could very well be right, but I lean to the Giants taking a QB in round 2.

westiedog1 likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

I can see your argument as well. If they could "fix" the OL and get Barkley, they could certainly be back in playoff contention. I don't follow the Giants, so don't know, but don't they have issues on D as well? I think I've seen posters here talk about that. I'd be surprised if they needed a total rebuild like the Jets, but they could.

I wonder what their new HC and Gettleman think about Eli, Davis and the team's needs. If they don't see Webb Davis as the answer at QB, and do decide to go with Barkley, they are taking a big risk imo. While they could conceivably be a playoff team for a year or two, would they be good enough to get to and win a SB? If not, what's the point? If they're even close to being a playoff team, that would have them drafting in the 20s. They'd have no chance of trading up and getting a FQB, and if Davis isn't the answer, then they could be in for a long rough stretch and experience what the Jets have had to experience having no QB. To me, that's the biggest risk of all. That's why if I'm Gettleman, I'm taking a QB at #2 and taking a RB somewhere in the 2nd-4th rounds, and taking OL with the other two picks, even if I have to trade up or down and trade future picks. That would seem to me to be the best of both worlds. They'd still be competitive and could still quite possibly make the playoffs with Michel, Guice, Penny or Chubb, AND they'd have their potential replacement for Eli in house.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  9. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Everything Gettleman has said and done suggests they are trying to win next year and beyond. It’s gonna be awfully hard to pass up on an elite talent that helps them immediately.

The only way they don’t take Barkley imo is if the Broncos blow them away with an offer that keeps them in top 5. I see that as extremely unlikely as I think the Broncos are in the same boat of trying to win immediately.

westiedog1 and Walt White like this.
  10. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

I saw Willie Colon on SNY say something along those lines. The thinking would be to try and strike now while you have Eli and Odell by adding Barkley for the three headed big O. The Solder signing fits that's too. He thinks Barkley is very possible for the Giants

11. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Some rumors have that.
    If so they may take Barkley figuring he will be there at 4.

12. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

There's always a chance but I think QB's will potentially be the first 3, maybe 4 picks.

13. joe

joe Well-Known Member

1. Browns - Darnold
    [​IMG]

2. Giants (or trading partner) - Rosen
    [​IMG]

3. Jets - Allen/Mayfield
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Browns - Barkley
    [​IMG]

Browns win the draft.

#33 joe, Mar 21, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
  14. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

At first I was sure the thing to do for the Giants was go QB.
    But I'm starting to think that your line of thinking is more and more possible. It's makes a lot of sense. A bird in hand is worth two in the bush. You have to take a shot when you can. Solder seems like a short term thing for Eli also. They have a TE in place. They may like Webb as well.
    The one thing that bothers me is John Mara not wanting Rosen to slide down to us and it could influence his motives. But adding Solder and Barkely, the development of the TE to go with Eli and Beckham and that's hard to give up on and let the opportunity pass

15. Sam Hammer

I agree, plus they have Marshall coming back and Shepard, who was also banged up last year. Who was their leading rusher, Darkwa? Barkley would be a huge upgrade for them. They are very much still in win now mode with Eli and Marshall at the tail end of their careers. They have a few holes on defense, but that can be fixed.

#35 Sam Hammer, Mar 21, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
    Walt White likes this.
  16. SettlerDawg

SettlerDawg Well-Known Member

Mayfield is the least safe out of the top 4 QB's. Here's Mayfield vs OK State:

Everything out of the shotgun
    Play action on the majority of his plays
    Majority of throws are one read and pass
    Many short passes under 10 yards. - incredible amounts of YAC and free touchdowns from these.
    Few intermediate passes - and on each of these, his receivers are always wide open. I'm talking 5 to 10 yards open
    One deep pass - wide receiver is 5 yards open
    Barely faces any pressure. I don't think he was even hit once during the game.

This doesn't translate to the NFL. I saw maybe 4 passes all game that I was impressed with. And it's not just this game, it's every game he's played in. Simple reads, short passes, lots of play action, receivers are always open. Darnold, Allen, and Rosen are far superior prospects and most analysts have Mayfield ranked below these 3. I'll stick with what I see on tape and the consensus amongst professionals that are paid for their analysis.

Rockinz likes this.
  17. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Ya this is definitely a possibility. That’s quite a splash

18. NCJetsfan

So everything was out of the shotgun. Big deal. What did you expect? That's the system he played in.

That's a plus, not a minus. That's a major component of Bates' version of the WCO.

Again, that's the system, but I saw plenty of passes where he moved safeties with his eyes, and went through progressions.

Guess what? The WCO uses many short passes under 10 yards. That he is used to making those throws, has great ball placement, and is very accurate is a plus, not a minus.

You say this like it's his fault. He can't help the plays that were called, or that his receivers were open. I've seen him throw the ball into tight windows, and with his great accuracy and ball placement, that is not a concern. The important thing is that he hit them in stride with great ball placement. He has great accuracy, touch, anticipation and makes all the throws. He has great accuracy on the run and on play action. Those are two big components of Bates' version of the WCO.

Again, it's not his fault that he faced no pressure in that game. There were other games in which he did get pressure. That and recognizing blitzes is something he needs to work on.

Personally, I don't care who you like or who you believe, but for you to say that his talent doesn't translate to the NFL is laughable. Nor are you right when you say it's "every game." I know that a lot of the "experts" rank the other 3 above him, but most of those "experts" are wrong more than they're right. Many are summarily dismissing him because of his being only 6'0" and having played in a spread offense. Darnold, Rosen and Allen are not "far superior" prospects. That's laughable as well.

19. Rockinz

The eye test is not as appealing as the other 3 no doubt. What Baker Mayfield has going for him is that he’s a gamer and is accurate. But I don’t think he will be our pick either.

It’s going to be Allen or Rosen. Can’t wait to see Allen’s pro day Friday.

20. Rockinz

The man has a good point NC... I think the hype is trying to sell him a bit too much now. Mayfield might slide..