Any chance Browns or Giants go Non-QB in 1st round?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Mar 18, 2018.

1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Darnold and Rosen are considered the top 2 QB's. Then there is the enigma of Barkley. For some it is Chubb and for some it is Nelson. So any chance for one of these 2 teams go non-QB at the top of the draft allowing one of Rosen/Darnold drop to Jets?

The Dark Knight likes this.
  2. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I think there is a very good chance the Giants will draft Barkley. I could see them follow the Pitt model with Ben=Eli, Brown=OBJ, Bell=Barkley

The only way that doesn’t happen is if someone blows their Sox off and gives them a kings ransom for the pick. The only team I think who could do this is Buffalo. They would need to give them #12 + #22 + 1st 2019 + 2nd 2018 + 2nd 2019

Walt White and ColoradoContrails like this.
  3. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I agree about Barkley and the Giants. I can't see them going QB, but they MIGHT trade down because the value they'll get on draft day will be insane and make what the Jets gave up look like nothing.

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Yes, there are very legitimate scenarios where the Browns and Giants do not take a QB before the Jets pick.

It's probably something like 50% that two QB's go on those picks, 45% chance that one QB goes on those picks and 5% that no QB's are picked before the Jets.

The Browns are definitely taking a QB on 1 or 4 but if they do not think that one of the guys is clearly better than the others they can wait until 4 and get at worst their 3rd choice plus the best player in the draft.

Given where the Giants are right now the question of whether or not they take a QB on that pick may come down to whether the best QB on their list, whoever that is, drops to them. They probably will not take the 2nd QB on their list over their #1 player overall.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  5. AlexJETS

AlexJETS Well-Known Member

Wow that's alot and it might be more steep on draft day.

6. AlexJETS

AlexJETS Well-Known Member

Like I said before in another thread the Giants GM. Is looking to upgrade the OL he feels Eli has a few years left on him He could easily draft Nelson to improve the Line but from my point of view a combo of Barkley and Beckham is lethal It will be very difficult to pass on that opportunity.

7. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

The Jets essentially ensured the #1 pick will be a QB any trading up.

If you’re the Browns.. there are only 2 picks between your first and second picks. One of them is guaranteed to be a QB and the other is likely to be as well (whether by the NYG or someone else). Not only can you get your favorite QB and one of your 2 favorite position players at 4, but if you PASS on a QB you’re forced to settle for the third QB on the board at 4.

NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The real argument for the Giants taking somebody other than a QB is that their window for a Super Bowl is not completely closed yet. It's not in good shape, however the QB is not the reason that is the case.

The OL needs upgrading and the RB's have all been RBBC material for awhile now. Adding either Saquon Barkley or Quenton Nelson to the offense might well be the key piece that lets it function at a good level again, which would pop the window back open for a year or two.

Any QB picked on the #2 is 50/50 to be part of a future Super Bowl window. If I'm the Giants and I like Davis Webb I am either trading that pick for a mint or I am taking Barkley.

westiedog1 likes this.
  9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I could see Gettleman doing that, but I think it would be a HUGE mistake. Eli is 38 and not playing all that well now. At best, he probably ploays only 1-2 more years. I can understand the desire to go in and give it one last shot, but imo, the smartest move is getting a FQB prospect now while they have a chance and don't have to trade up. If Gettleman's FA moves and other draft picks pay off, then the Giants could likely be drafting in teens and 20s and they'd have no chance of trading up for a FQB without giving up 3-4 years worth of #1 and #2 picks.

The only ways I can see taking Barkley as the best move is if they really like Webb and think he will be their future FQB, or if they don't like any of the top 4 QBs in this draft.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  10. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

I can't see it only because next years QB class is baby shit and they do not know if they will be back in this position in the draft before Eli retires. Gotta take him now, can't take any chances with QB.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

People keep saying this, but there are 4 QB's and 1 Barkley. If you are comfortable with 3 of them like the Jets apparently are, then Barkley is the slam dunk #1 overall pick. Can't take your QB #1, Giants draft Barkley, and then you have to go some other position or trade out at #4 overall. If they truly want Barkley, that is.

As for the Giants: If they really are trying to get 1 more ring with Eli, then Barkley or Nelson are the clear picks for them. Trading down really would not help too much either, as they are still in win now mode.

Common sense would say the draft starts like this:
    1. Sam Darnold-Browns
    2. Josh Rosen- Giants/Trade Partner
    3. Baker Mayfield/Josh Allen- Jets

However, there has not been too much common sense between these 3 franchises the past few seasons............

NCJetsfan and Brook! like this.
  12. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

if cleveland takes josh allen and giants saquon im jumping in my room of joy even before the jets pick

13. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

Fixed this for you.

Aero and Catfish Billy like this.
  14. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I think it’s more likely that 1 QB goes in top 2 than it is 2 QBs going in top 2. I would think the Browns take the QB while the Giants do not.

FJF and ColoradoContrails like this.
  15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

The problem with taking Barkley #1 is that they'd wind up paying him more than their starting QB, and that's not good. It would screw up their team salary structure. QB is more important than RB. Even though the Browns might be happy with three of the QBs, there's bound to be one that they like better, feel more comfortable with after meeting with him, think is a better fit for what they want to do, has the type of mindset/attitude they're looking for, has better leadership, better football IQ of something that they value more than other aspects.

Taking Barkley is falling in love with a player. If I'm Dorsey, I'm taking a QB #1. At #4, I'm taking Chubb, Nelson or Fitzpatrick based on who I think is the better player, would fit our schemes the best, and also considering what are our greatest needs aside from QB. I could then very likely grab one of Michel, Guise, Johnson, at the top of the 2nd round and have not only the QB I wanted, a very good/great RB, but also a stud edge rusher, OL or DB. IMO that's better than just any QB and Barkley.

16. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

I think the Giants go Barkley. They are in win now mode. Getting a RB capable of insane things catapults them back into the playoff talks.

They have about a 2-3 year window before they have to blow everything up. They need an impact player like Barkley right this minute.

westiedog1, FJF and ColoradoContrails like this.
  17. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

If that’s the case then I think they will take Allen or Rosen.

18. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I spoke to a few Giants fans today at work and they are rooting against taking a QB and want Barkley or Nelson. The Giants might trade down because of the king's ransom they'll get, but it's hard to pass up on the next LaDainian Tomlinson for a QB that might not even work out.

I know most mocks have them going QB, but I really don't see it. And yeah, Allen + Barkley as 1 and 2 picks and I will be super hyped. I usually don't watch drafts live, but I will be on the edge of my seat for this one.

Hopefully if anybody trades up to #2, it is the Browns.

#18 Sam Hammer, Mar 20, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

I wouldn't completely discount Chubb to the Giants. They need to get younger and cheaper at DE.

If Gettleman is to believed, he's focused on picking someone he believes will become a HOFer at #2, not a specific position.

20. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

NOT A SNOWBALLS CHANCE IN HELL

Let's hope the Browns have fallen for Allen..is my wishful thinking