Another Case for Quinnen Williams at #3

Discussion in 'Draft' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Feb 24, 2019.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

49ers are just like us. They drafted a crap-ton of defensive lineman too all in the first round. Buckner, Soloman Thomas and Armstead.

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Until proven otherwise, I can't see Q. Williams and L. Williams generating the pass rush we need desperately. I'm not saying it can't happen, but I don't see how it can. Then again, I'm no expert. I would much prefer the Jets trade down if Allen or Bosa are't there, rather than take another "BPA" DL.

tomdeb likes this.
  3. 101GangGreen101

I don't want Q Williams at 3 BTW, I think the Leonard Williams situation is much different then this situation.

4. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

You first paragraph sets it out very clearly and succinctly! If McIdiot drafts ANOTHER DL for a 3-4 defense in round 1 (like he did with Leonard Williams) , he should be fired on the spot!

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

When you say "I'm no expert," don't short yourself. You and a few others on this board have a better handle on things than MIke (Never Draft an Offensive Lineman) MacCagnan, IMO.

6. ColoradoContrails

If we traded Leo, I would be okay taking Quinnen at 3, but having two guys that do essentially the same thing when we have so many other holes is dumb.

And again - to echo Kurt's refrain - when will we have enough defense???? I get that there isn't really any studs on offense worth the #3 pick this year, so I'm grudgingly on board with taking Allen or Bosa if we absolutely can't trade down, but JEEZUS, when will this team start making the offense a priority since it's been about 10 years since the NFL has gone on that direction? If they're really thinking they want Q. Williams, I hope to hell they're lining up a trade for Leo.

7. 101GangGreen101

No reason to trade Leo, Q is a very similar player. If we get a pass-rusher @ 3 in this draft, I would hope that would probably be the last 1st round pick we spend on defense for a little bit. Trading a key player only opens up another hole in which you have to spend another draft pick on.

When they drafted Darnold, I think they believe the offense is a priority.

FJF likes this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

Thanks, but I really am no expert. I have no way of knowing all the details and background of players, nor do understand enough about coaching football to know if you could reasonably expect to use two guys like Q and L Williams to generate a consistent pass rush...maybe Greg Williams can, but until I see him do it, I'm skeptical.

But we need a damn pass rush! This is the biggest reason the secondary has been exposed game after game, season after season, no matter who's back there. And to your point that Macc is clueless, consider that the two most important positions on a football team are QB and pass rusher, and that the Jets have been without elite players in those roles for years, and it took Macc up until last year to even draft one of them! And yes, I'll beat the dead horse some more and mention AGAIN that had he taken Mahomes (or Watson) in 2017, he could've then taken Chubb last year, possibly eve without having to trade up (and then not having to use three picks to do so).

It's disheartening that we still have Macc buying the groceries.

tomdeb and NCJetsfan like this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

No, only trade Leo IF they want to draft Q.

Until Macc actually proves it, I won't believe he's prioritizing the "O".

tomdeb likes this.
  10. 101GangGreen101

we will have this discussion again after FA / Draft and we will see where it goes.

Funny though, seemed like last year everyone loved Mac

11. ColoradoContrails

Not me...on the Fire Macc bandwagon after his crap picks after Sam.

tomdeb likes this.
  12. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

i would generally agree as an overall, but to say aaron donald isn't a game changer would be very wrong and d-lineman have a bigger effect on other players chances to make plays as well. one thing that hasn't changed much in modern day NFL is "games are won in the trenches" having a top o-line and top d-line will always lead to a good team. any position can be a game changer if the player is talented enough.

with that said, i don't want williams in this draft. it's gotta be an edge rusher or OT depending on free agency or our options with the top pick

13. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I liked that he moved up to land Darnold and seems to have found a gem in Herndon in the 4th round. So far disappointed that he took a small school 25 year old DL in round 3. Felt like he could've gone OL or pass rush there. The other picks panning out would be gravy.

14. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I have never been a Mac fan since he took over in 2015 and announced at his initial press conference that he did not believe in using decent draft picks on the OL. What a stupid philosophy and why the hell TELL the rest of the league THAT as they now know who McIdiot won't touch in the early rounds? True to his word he has drafted TWO OL in 4 years and both in round 5. The Patriots, by way of comparison, have drafted EIGHT OL the last four years and not all in the low rounds. That is a major reason why MacNuts annually has the jets in basement of the AFC East.

15. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Yeah... Assuming you have a QB offensive line is basically the most important part of a football team. Its the foundation on which your entire offense is built.

You don't win anything if you can't score any points. And you can't score any points if your QB has the pass rush arriving in his grill the second the snap hits his fingers. You literally worry about EVERYTHING else only after that issue has been brought firmly under control imho.

Now if you have some magic recipe to put together a good OL without using premium draft picks to do so then god bless you. That's great. But we've had enough of a track record now to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that he does NOT have any such magic recipe. Watching some of these game tapes is absolutely appalling.

I'm so happy about Mac's trade for Osemele. It looks to me like he might be a big time help and maybe even prove to be the best offseason pickup (hopefully outside of our first round pick).

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Yeah that Herndon guy ended up being horrible!

FJF and stinkyB like this.
  17. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Unless Bosa and Allen go 1-2, there is no reason he should even be in the discussion.

1- Bosa
    2- Allen
    3- No Idea what we do if they are both gone. BPA in this scenario would be Q. Williams, but I really am against us picking him. I would rather reach for Greedy Williams at 3 than take Q Williams.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

How has that turned out for them? Top 10 defense? Winning record? Playoff appearances? Playoff wins?

Outcome? 2 of 3 won’t be on the roster in 4 years. Reality? WASTED PICKS.

19. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

to be fair they suffered the same issues as us which was lack of a QB

20. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

To be fair, they have absolutely ZERO weapons on the offensive side of the ball because they went apeshit on DLs with premium picks.

GasedAndConfused likes this.