And you want to know why Sam is struggling. ....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Nov 11, 2018.

1. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I am hammering Macc for the lack of production, but I am not hammering Macc for his disregard for the OL.

I can't blame him for not picking an OL when there wasn't much to be had to begin with.

So what am I hammering him for? I am hammering him for his dismal drafts. When he did spend his draft picks, he missed hard - that doesn't do justice. He missed HARD. Other than the few 1st round picks that fell in his lap, his drafting is absolutely dismal, to put it as nicely as possible. Especially the WR picks. If Jets had a 25% hit ratio with the WRs - can you say Chris Godwin? - that could shield a lot of the OL problems. Instead he wasted the picks away with the likes of ArDarius Stewarts and Chad Hansens. All were jettisoned later. [The fuck?] And his TE picks are absolutely brutal. Chris Herndon is about the only decent pick I can think of by now. His RB picks are brutal as well, but that's a related problem coming from the poor OLs.

And obviously the #1 culprit in all these shit storm is Todd Bowles, but the second in line for this shit show is Jeremy Bates.

Really, I have no fucking idea just what the FUCK he is doing. His play calling does not establish a FUCKING THING. Short passing attack? Sustained ground attack, with big plays from play action? No. These two are specifically the kind of things you will see missing from the Jets offense. There are more than a handful ways to utilize the short passing attack, for crying out loud. Where is high-low concept? Where is drive concept, backed by drag routes? How about slant plays, with zig outs sprinkled over to fool the DBs? Or quick hooks? NO. NONE OF THESE ARE THERE. [Coach-22 films say they don't exist in Jets games, if anything.] Since there is no established short passing attack that the opposing D must respect, that affects establishing the mid-range passing attacks, i.e. smash concepts, digs, seams, et al. Just what the fuck is he doing? So the defense literally KNOWS how to prepare for this offense. They load up the box, and stick a DB to a WR, and float one or two LBs in a zone. Really. That's all the opposing Ds have been doing the past few weeks, and it worked wonders. Of course these tubs of shit called OL suck at run blocking, but they shouldn't be THIS bad at run blocking.

To give you a little [breakdown] of WCO plays, there are basically two kinds of plays in WCO, in Bill Walsh's terms. They are the "bread-and-butter" plays and the "knock-out punches."

Bread-and-butter plays will churn out the yards for you. You deliver the kill with the knock-outs. In Jeremy Bates' offense, where is this bread and butter plays? Where is this consistent 6-7 yard gains that make WCO so efficient at delivering the killing blows? No. These don't exist in Bates' games.

And yeah. Rick Dennison. Shitcan him too while you are at it - HE is the OL coach AND the RUN GAME COORDINATOR. And we all know what kind of a massive clusterfuck he has been this season.

In all, going with Jeremy Bates/Rick Dennison regime was a death knell for this offense. And of course, this is the work of *Gulp!* Todd Bowles. I can't wait to see him shitcanned. Damn, he sucks. HARD.

SOJAZ, twown and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

"I believe the Oline is able to be built through FAs and late round picks"

... a GM with a potential franchise QB ,who is injured, that is hopefully getting fired soon

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Watson didn't and doesn't have the arm strength to succeed in the Meadowlands in the winter. Mahomes is the QB Mac should have drafted.

4. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I can't agree with that. He didn't disregard the oline, his fixes just didn't work out. Last year the Jets got the best available tackle on the market, and this year they brought in Long hoping to fix the center position. Unfortunately Beachum has been underwhelming and Long as been hurt.

5. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Scary good post, Zach.

The first part is just spot on to the letter.

The second part... I've been kind of a defender of Bates because the talent is so shitty I felt there was no way to really evaluate him, but you make some great points there too.

6. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

So he made poor attempts twice. No foresight for losing Brick and Mangold. I guess he thought they’d play forever?

7. NY2k1

NY2k1 New Member

Mahomes and Watson would look like busts here as well, most likely.

Fact is, we don't know if Darnold can be at the level of those two without a complete overhaul of the coaching staff and even GM.

8. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Just read this quoted tweet (from a twat) on another Jets board
    Sounds like some of the anti-sam sentiment that was expressed in a lot of the respective "Rosen / Mayfield / Darnold" QB threads leading up to last year's draft. The point is, if someone STILL "wasn't sure about Sam" and STILL needed yesterday's shit show to put 2 and 2 together and figure out that maybe--just maybe--Darnold has the goods to play the position, then what's there to say other than:

"Attention Fanboys: Who's Your Favorite 2019 Draft QB?"

yeah i'm being a dick but i'm sick of reading clueless-ass shit STILL being written about this kid let alone a full 10 weeks into the season...

9. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

With apologies to Mike Battle, I am changing my avatar until such time as the Jets organization has someone in ownership or management who has the fire and drive to eat glass and hurdle the competition.

10. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Yesterday we had an old man QB take his first snap in nearly a year. Add to that nearly every key position on offense was playing injured and/or out. This was the least talented offensive group we have fielded this season. Yet we were still probably a little more talented than Arizona is every single week. You think our offensive line is bad you should see theirs.

Rosen goes out and gets creamed nearly every drive. He has few open receivers and a running game that disappears. Yet when he goes out he still overcomes it all to make plays. That is a QB with “all the tools” and a “feel for the game”. But even more important he is a leader. He acts like they will score every time and his team mates believe it. Maybe Sam was too young to be in this position but at this point even Rosen is light years better than Sam has shown. He led the NCAA in turnovers last year and he is leading the NFL in turnovers this year. It’s been sadly predictable.

Done get me wrong. I’m not saying Sam is a bust. But it’s been hard to recognize him doing anything we can build around. Forget having all the tools. The first thing he needs to do is step up and become a leader the team buys into.

11. NY2k1

NY2k1 New Member

Lol, what? If anything, Darnold has looked better than Rosen this season. Both quarterbacks are in absolute crap situations, though. No way you can really properly evaluate either QB.