And the Jets next OC is...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by playtowinthegame, Jan 4, 2017.

?

Who will become the Jets next Offensive Coordinator?

Poll closed Jan 6, 2017.
  1. Karl Dorrell

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  2. John DeFilippo

12 vote(s)
    20.7%
  3. Anthony Lynn

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  4. Norv Turner

14 vote(s)
    24.1%
  5. Mike McCoy

15 vote(s)
    25.9%
  6. Chip Kelly Green

4 vote(s)
    6.9%
  7. Other

11 vote(s)
    19.0%
  1. onefanjet

onefanjet Well-Known Member

Tom Cable anyone? Proven HC experience, current OL coordinator of Seattle, bring a certain toughness/no nonsense/discipline to the team, could transition right into Todd's job... I'm just reachin' and tryin boys, reaching and tryin...

rohirrim665 likes this.
  2. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

He'd probably decline. He's been getting HC interviews.

We're gonna get some plug like the guy the Texans just fired. Nobody wants this job for understandable reasons.

ajax and NYJetsO12 like this.
  3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Only if you repeat it 3 consecutive times...

4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

he's like the candyman, look in the mirror and say his name 3 times and the whole offense dies

Cman68 likes this.
  5. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Likely. The worst outcome will be to get some plug that changes the entire play book and screws up Petty and Hack even more.

If they get a guy in that runs the Gailey playbook but friggin runs the ball more in the red zone than its an improvement.

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

How many OC's in NFL history kept their job though two major injuries to the starting QB (2002 and 2004) and seeing three positions on the OL turnover in a 3 year span (Kerry Jenkins and Ryan Young out after 2001, Randy Thomas out after 2002)?

The year after he left the Jets lost Kareem McKenzie at RT and Jason Fabini aged out at 31 and Kevin Mawae got hurt, all of which made his successor Heimerdinger a one year and out guy.

Paul Hackett called a very conservative offense but he was dealing with a QB who had a limited arm before the injuries and one that was hanging by a thread in the playoffs in 2004. The offensive line didn't have the chemistry that most good lines have because the Jets kept losing people and plugging in one and two year veteran solutions.

He basically had 3 things going for him over the span he was with the Jets: a good QB who could not stay healthy, a great center who could pull and trap better than anybody in recent years and a Hall of Fame runningback whose very presence screamed "be conservative and get the ball in his hands as much as you can."

Sometimes you have to get far away from a situation before you can call it right. The Jets offensive struggles in the early 2000's were because the QB was hurt a lot and the offensive line kept turning over. None of that is on the OC, who was just calling the soundest game he could with what he was given to work with.

3rd and 15 Draw is what you do when your QB doesn't have the arm strength to put the ball in tight windows against a Cover Two.

7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I'd buy that excuse if he wasn't overly conservative everywhere he coached. Surely, it wasn't just a personnel thing as he had the same style in KC, at USC and Pitt.

Hackett's downfall was that he was a horrendous 3rd down playcaller/designer. This followed him everywhere. It's not a bad thing to run the ball a lot when you have a future HOF runner in Curtis Martin but if you run every time on first and second down you better pick up that 3rd down otherwise you aren't on the field much. Hackett's offenses in KC and in NY were always usually among the lowest in the league in terms of plays ran because they couldn't ever pick up a third down.

He didn't just run draws on 3rd and 15, he ran em on 3rd and 8, 3rd and 5, etc. etc. They had Curtis Martin that he ran every 1st and 2nd down anyway they weren't even getting into too many 3rd and 15s.

8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

btw, speaking of Hackett - his boy Nathaniel, former Jags and Bills OC could be available for our opening. Any takers? :p

Cman68 likes this.
  9. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

Larry David will do it. And it'll be pretty good, pretty, pretty good.

#149 donkey, Jan 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  10. Jets1035

Jets1035 Active Member

I can see us just promoting within, then filling the low level jobs with some rookies. Going to have to build some credibility within the organization, if possible. I think we are going to have to loose a while to build up a good team within the draft, if it works out.

11. Joey Jett

Joey Jett Member

This is true. Which is a shame, because the guy was very good at both teaching QB's and play design. When the plays were working, his O was a thing of beauty. His main problem was adjustments, both in game and with personel. He had Vinny running the same pass plays Chad ran, which made no sense since they are two completely different QB's. He would make an excellent QB coach and offensive assistant drawing up plays.

blackssmagic likes this.
  12. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

From what I hear there are some sleeper Coaching candidates from the PAL

Also the NYPD and FDNY football teams have a bunch of brawlers whose CS love offense

Bowles is hearing from a few Tavern owners in Bklyn and Queens that are ready to help out with the xs and o s

Cman68 likes this.
  13. RichardCaster

RichardCaster Active Member

Was thinking it was going to be Dorrell. But no reason to wait so long. So has to be someone still in playoffs.
    Clements or Van Pelt from Packers. But we need permission from GB.

legler82 likes this.
  14. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

Could they maybe deciding which direction to take, wether to draft a Watson college QB and find an OC that plays to his strengths or to find one that suits both petty and hack? It's just a hunch. Not sure why they are letting the opportunity to get a qualified one slip through there hands. Hope it's Norv in the end...Fingers crossed.

15. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Norv T would come so he could boss around Bowles....had no luck doing that with Zimmer

TB a prominent mention on the pussy wire

16. JetUp325

JetUp325 Member

Matt LaFleur could be another guy that may be on the radar. He's the Falcons QB coach, but then again, he could be in place to replace Shanahan in Atlanta or follow him to SF. All I know is, I really thought we would have hired someone by now. I understand that this is not a top job by any means, but to even hear nothing in the terms of interviews is interesting to say the least (granted, under Mac, Jets have been known to be a tight lipped facility).

17. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

Brian Schottenheimer!!!

18. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

It's concerning no one has been hired yet. Kinda ridiculous.

19. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

Brian Schottenheimer!!!

kevda5n9ne likes this.
  20. Cody Hummel

Cody Hummel Active Member

I'm pulling for Matt Nagy to be the next OC. I don't think it's likely but I've seen his name tossed around. IF that would happen what are the odds Foles would follow to compete with Petty? (Not saying I want Foles) but there's a connection