An ideal 1st day in my eyes would be...

Discussion in 'Draft' started by TheCoolerGlennFoley, Jan 11, 2007.

1. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

1) Lamar Woodley or Anthony Spencer. Both are similar players as DE/OLB 'tweeners with excellent athletic ability. Spencer is gifted with more speed and pure athletic talent but Woodley was more of a team leader and is known as an intangibles guy. Either one I feel would provide a great pass rush oppossite Thomas.

2a) Adam Carriker. May not last this long and I wouldn't mind taking him with the first pick and hoping Woodley or Spencer lasts until this spot but his size and skill set don't match up with every team's style of defense so I think this is feasible. Great moter, great strength, and also someone known with great intangibles he'd instantly make our defensive line at the least very deep.

2b) Personally I'd like to see this pick flipped for Michael Turner but since it's not up to me I'd take a long look at Brian Leanard. I'm admittedly not his biggest supporter and feel the team really needs more of a Lorenzo Neal lead blocker at fullback but Leonard has an intersting skill set and I think Schottenheimber would be able to take advantage of that.

3) Josh Beekman, OG, Boston College. A guy that might go higher, very good runblocker, comes from a school that has produced a good amount of offensive lineman (Pete Kendall). Might be a good replacemant for Moore. Another guy to keep an eye on his Ryan Spears of Tenessee. Reminds me a little bit of Shawn Andrews.

2. jhsensation10

jhsensation10 Member

i would be very happy with the first 2 picks, as OLB, and DE must be addressed this offseason. it all depends on what we do in free agency before we know what we need to draft. if we decide to go after a. thomas, then we won't need spencer or woodley. i think we should draft carriker regardless since he is the exact fit we need at DE. 6'6 300 lbs would definitely provide more power at the line of scrimmage and keep vilma clean. we must address the Dline first, then the Oline, and i think i suggested aaron sears before to give us someone on the right side on the OL. justin blalock is the shawn andrews clone, not sears. if marshawn falls to us which i do not think he will considering houston should take AP and then green bay or the giants should take lynch, we must go defense specifically dline first. then see if woodley or spencer is available at 37. if both aren't then pick up micheal bush, and then draft OL, (sears) at 57.

3. -MC-

-MC- Active Member

I agree with every pick, i think woodley has a better chance to be at 26.

4. BonScott

BonScott Active Member

I can't complain on that day 1, good stuff. Here's my ideal day 1.
    1 Woodley or Okoye
    2 Bush or Irons
    2b Carriker or Crowder
    3 Ramirez or Sears or Duckworth

5. Brooks Brady

Brooks Brady New Member

If we take Leonard on Day 1, I will punch a hole through my TV.

6. UncleTomNYJ

UncleTomNYJ Active Member

Why he is a good blocking fullback w/very good hands out of the backfield and could run pretty well. Why would that be so bad?? Definately better than askew.

7. Brooks Brady

Brooks Brady New Member

Because FB is NOT a position that is of primary need to any team, much less a team with major holes on the offensive and defensive lines, running back, and secondary. I wouldn't mind taking Leonard with, say, a 5th rounder, but certainly no higher.

8. -MC-

-MC- Active Member

if your not educated on the subject, dont talk about it. 5th? o quiet

9. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

He's a hybrid player and at the very least might be a good short yardage back to replace Barlow who also is a very good receiver. Local guy who's been compared to Alstott, which while pre-mature, isn't the worst thing in the world.

10. UncleTomNYJ

UncleTomNYJ Active Member

A fullback of leonards potential could only help the running game. This guy could be a big time threat. Giving the Jets great versatility in the ground game. Plus a a big lead blocker to spring holes for whom ever is our rb next year. And for you to think he is going to be a 5th round selection in this draft is a shame. Do a little research on this guy before you say he is not good for the jets.

Check this review:http://condraft.com/database/big-east/rutgers/brian-leonard/index.html

#10 UncleTomNYJ, Jan 11, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2007
  11. Mavericknyc1980

Mavericknyc1980 Active Member

Chris Henry for the 4th rd. What is he stats.

12. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

The people that bitch about Brian Leonard have no idea what they are talking about.

Your normal FB gets drafted in 5th-7th rounds.

BUT, Brian Leonard isn't an ordinary player.

He can line up at FB, RB, Hback, WR and TE. He has supreme physical abilities and is exactly the kind of player Mangini loves.

I am not saying I want Leonard, but BJ askew will be gone. I do not think the Jets would take him round 2 though so dont get your panties in a bunch.

13. deviljets7

deviljets7 Well-Known Member

The people who support Leonard (I am one) with a first day pick, do not look at him as merely a fullback. They look at him as a guy who because of his unique skills would be getting 8-10 touches a game as a power back/receiving threat.

I agree that a "normal" FB is not worth a 2nd round pick. Brian Leonard is not a normal FB.

14. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Would Beekman still be there in the 3rd round?

15. Coach K

Coach K New Member

lol this isnt directed at you but....

im so sick of these brian leonard posts......listen BRIAN LEONARD IS GREAT. HES A GREAT ATHLETIC PLAYER! WE GET IT!

Has anyone ever stopped and think that he doesnt fit in our offense? with the constant motion, all the FB's do in our offense is block. hit holes, or drop back in pass pro.

this is a remix of the SD offense. hmmm how often do you see lorenzo neal carry the ball?

Brian Leonard will be a FB/H-Back guy in this league. hes gonna be a Dallas Clark/Chris Cooley/Justin Griffith type guy. which is also like I said, hed have serious success in places like INDY, WAS, ATL.

i know alot of jets fans are rutgers fans, but its just not meant to be.

16. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Overview An amazing high school athlete who has proven year-after-year that he has all the skills and tools to be a solid pro.

Strengths Catches the ball like a receiver and runs like a big halfback. Is a deadly dual-threat offensive stud. Can turn short gainers into back breakers. Leaps over defenders. Keeps his legs churning. Is a prototypical NFL H-back type. Very smart, productive. Driven. Loves the game of football. A leader. Never quits. Elusive and fairly quick for his dimensions. Has worked very hard to improve as a blocker, and really showcased that improvement in 2006.

Weaknesses Still not a great blocker. Can not be locked into a slot. May not be considered an elite player at either fullback, halfback or tightend. Takes too many hits.

Projection 3rd round.

I know people hate the term "Mangini" guy, but that's pretty much it right there. That's exactly what they were going after in last years draft.

17. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

The more I think about it, the more I am convinced we should take Carriker in the first, even if it's a bit of a jump. I see a 3-4 DE as easilly the biggest hole on the entire team. After Carriker, I dont see another 3-4 DE that could step in and start in the entire draft.

I also like Tony Hunt. I think he could play some FB as well as RB, and he might be the most NFL-ready of all the RB's in the draft because he is such a good pass blocker who can pick up the blitz.... and LIKES blocking.

I like Leonard as much as anyone, I just am not sure he's worth a first day pick.

I've seen a lot of mocks that have us going for a 'tweener DE/OLB, but I'm not sure Tangini goes that way. There are bigger holes to fill, especially on the right side of the O line, DE, and RB. Why RB? We have to have 3. Either Houston or Barlow is gone, along with Blaylock.

18. Bomber

Bomber New Member

Is there any chance Jamaal Anderson falls to us in the first round, or is that being way too hopeful?

19. Brooks Brady

Brooks Brady New Member

Listen everyone, I'm NOT saying I wouldn't like Leonard as a weapon on a team. He can be a good contributor to any team that drafts him. BUT, you can simply just NOT tell me that we should take him in the second round (like the original poster did) when we have gaping holes at other, far more critical positions.

20. ANJI

ANJI New Member

This Leonard looks like he could be a very good plan B. We all know next year could be the year to sell out and get a great runningback with guys like Slaton, Rice, McFadden probably coming out. So why not take this guy this year??? I would take him with a third round pick. This guy could be Alsott mixed with Clark and be a big time part of the offense.

Carriker
    Woodley or Spencer
    BPA
    Leonard

Very good day one.