All the makings of a big SOJ moment / but

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

What was wrong with the pass rush? We get in Tannehills face all day. Stupid coverage mistakes were far worse than the pass rush imo.

FJF and PJ4Ever like this.
  2. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

No

The difference was coaching

Clear as day

The bootleg for Tannehill on Play 1 was brilliant and showed me in a nanosecond that their coaching was superior and well
    Thought out.

Bowles is literally dog shit

3. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

They literally just dominated on national tv

stinkyB likes this.
  4. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Stop using your brain. You’re a Jets fan you’re supposed to be irrationally up or down after every win or loss.

stinkyB and zace like this.
  5. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

No one is on the edge

As long as Sam is not hurt we are all decent

Can you analyze the game or provide input besides sniping posters?

Add some value or go away

6. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

The negative nellies are back in full force.....did anyone have a clue here, as I mentioned on these boards over and over that one of the weaknesses of this team was the OL, and hope and pray that Darnold never gets put on a stretcher?

We're only at game 2 and already he's feeling it.

Not saying I told you so but Darnold is learning the hard way - and it's not all on him but this team will be up and down all season long.

7. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

and that's says it all about the Jets doesn't it.. You never know which team is gonna show up on gameday. Whose fault is that again??

ColoradoContrails and CBG like this.
  8. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

This year to me is about a stepping stone until next year. I never expected much. We have played much better in both games than I expected. Against the Lions we received a lot of good breaks. Against the Dolphins a lot of bad breaks. We were not that bad against the Phins. To their credit they converted big plays taking advantage of our mistakes.

We are likely where we should be at 1 and 1. Darnold is far ahead of where I dreamed he could be. This season is about his development not about wins and losses. I am very happy about what I have seen and I am happy for the future. Although, I do think we have a chance of being competitive every week. Beating the Browns would be very nice especially with the long wait until week 4. This board may go suicidal if we lose.

FJF, AJW, Number 10 and 2 others like this.
  9. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Noam I don't think anyone is bashing Darnold , a few might but most people are very happy with what we have seen out of the kid. I think many people are upset that the team came out flat under Bowels again after a big win the previous week. This was the home opener and there was talk of "the changing culture " when what we saw was nothing new. Bowels and Bates Game plan sucked and did not put Darnold or the other guys in the best position to succeed and the use of clock management and timeouts and understanding down and distance was beyond lacking as it appears they have no clue. The play to end the half was a heartbreaker and the play at the end of the game was beyond stupid, 3rd and almost 20 and you allow the Dolphins to convert ? You leave single coverage on the back out of the backfield and you give the Dolphins the entire middle of the field ? Why not play zone there thats on Bowels , as watching Frank Gore get the first down was just a microcosm of our 4th year head coach. PS These were the Dolphins , not a powerhouse and lacking talent and some have said although I don't know if they are that bad that they are in tank mode this year,,,,this HC of ours aint out coaching anyone in a big spot

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  10. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Tannehill coming off a year spent in rehab for torn ACL. Not sure what kind of coaching brilliance that shows.

11. jetsknicks1

jetsknicks1 Member

The OL is gonna get that kid killed.

stinkyB, ColoradoContrails and Cman68 like this.
  12. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I don't think we came out flat. Nor do I blame play calls. 90 percent of the game we were the better team. We made a few very costly mistakes which the Dolphins took advantage of. That is the type of team they are with some explosive players on offense that can make big plays and a defense that with a strong pass rush that can cause mistakes.

In regards to the 3rd and 19 I think everyone after the fact will say it was an awful call. But if we were not aggressive and let Tannehill sit in the pocket and make a big play then we would be upset were not aggressive enough. The bottom line is the Dolphins to their credit took advantage of our mistakes and made some big plays. We failed to capitalize on our opportunities. This was not be being flat or unmotivated it was bad execution, bad field position bad luck along with some good opportunist play by the Phins.

This was not a bad game by the Jets. Not a lack of effort game. For the most part we played very well. But we had some very key bad plays that turned the game against us. Call it what you want bad luck, poor execution or good play by the other side. But, if we play as hard as we did and as well as we did during most of the game the rest of the year we will win games like yesterday more often than not.

#32 Noam, Sep 17, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
    FJF and westiedog1 like this.
  13. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

They're trying their best to keep Sam from becoming the next Petty. They need to try a lot harder before its too late. @leftsideOline

ColoradoContrails and CBG like this.
  14. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

You mentioned many " BAD " things except " Bad " coaching. This was not a good team that the Jets played yesterday this was the Dolphins and Im not sure who the " explosive players " that they have on offense that you refer to ? Frank Gore ? If you think they did not come out flat all I can say is it was 20 to love at halftime. Turnovers hurt the Jets but if you think the ridiculous play and penalties by Skrine and Claibourne were just bad breaks or that the play before the half where we had zero timeouts left and the Herndon play or the Gore 3rd and 19 first down ,then I just I disagree. I did not say that they had to be aggressive on 3rd and 19 all they had to do was be and coach smart so that we would still have a chance ,that is not bad luck that is on Bowels and company. I will just say that I agree to disagree with a lot of what you posted.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

By explosive the Phins have a lot of team speed on offensive with 3 big play threats at receiver, a very good rb in Drake and a strong OL. Even Tannehill is fast and athletic. For the most part we contained them but in character they made a few big plays utilizing team speed.

In regards to the 3rd and 19 I can understand and agree with the criticism but I think it's generally a bit hypocritical as people here praise any playcalling that works and deride any that does not. The problem against the Dolphins was not playcalls or coaching it was execution. We had plenty of opportunities to score that we failed on because of poor execution. We did not play terrible. We actually played good and dominated 80 percent of the game. The Dolphins had only a few chances to score which they took advantage of. That is why they won. We can say a rookie qb will have problems getting TDs but it was a team break down on execution not one player. This was a winnable game against a good team that we lost more out of bad luck than bad play. Everything went right for the Dolphins and everything bad for us. The opposite of the Lions game.

westiedog1 likes this.
  16. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I find it interesting that some here, like you Noam, can "see the glass half full", while some of us see the "glass half empty". Which is it? Who's right? I can definitely see your POV, and even find myself almost agreeing with it...almost. But I've just seen too many games like this over the years, and during Bowles' tenure that I believe that coaching has something to do with it. After all, in the past 3 years+ we've had lots of new players, and even new coaches, but there is one constant.

And here's the kicker for me. Yesterday was a prime day for the Jets to come out and show they were really different. They had shocked everyone on Monday night, but a lot of people said, "Wait until Sunday and you'll see them come back to earth because they're the Jets". So it was a really critical game for them to prove they weren't the SOJ. The crowd was full and pumped, and despite everything BELIEVED. I wanted to see some real urgency on the part of Bowles & Co. to win that game, to do what it took, including sitting players who screwed up, using a no huddle, trying whatever they could think of to win. I didn't see that. I saw a CS sticking with their game plan even when they were down 20-0. I saw players like Herndon and Skrine allowed to go back out, without even missing a down. I saw a T.O. burned that could've been used at the end of the half that might've changed the outcome. In short, I saw Bowles standing on the sideline - again - seeming to have no answers. I'm sorry, but that's not a good coach.

Cman68 and Noam like this.
  17. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Big difference is that Sam has the ability to read the field and become a good QB ;)

18. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I am not sure I believe. The glass is half full as I think we are a very young team long way from being consistent.

When I look at yesterday I see Miami had 3 scoring chances all game and got 20 points. We had 7 maybe more chances to score and got 12 points. They won because they were much more efficient and opportunistic. We played well enough we just did not execute on a handful of plays. The problem was not coaching as for the most part we played well it was we made mistakes that prevented us from scoring. Good teams convert opportunities into points and stop their opponents. Which team are we? The team that converts those opportunities into points or the team that had problems executing in crunch time Sunday.

With a larger sample size we will see where we are. My guess is we were very lucky against the Lions and somewhat unlucky against the Dolphins. We are a long ways away from being a team that will be efficient in the red zone. But, I am glad to see we are able to create those opportunities. That said it is hard not to be disappointed in yesterday's loss.

19. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

we are gonna have many games this year like yesterday thats why the W-L record doesn't matter.

i expect johnson to have a short leash next year cause there will be some fine coaching/gm talent licking their chops to take over this team in 2020 with a young QB and uber cap space.

ColoradoContrails and Cman68 like this.
  20. AJW

AJW Well-Known Member

Did all of you seriously think we were going to win 8 or 9 games this year? We have a rookie QB that is bound to make mistakes. Our OL is awful. We don't have a legitimate pass rusher and we don't have a #1 WR. Until they fix those issues it won't get better.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk