All signs point to.....the Perfect Season

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by The 4th Ring, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

Poor guy never came back. :(

Did we ever do the LolTolhurst routine to find out if he's ok?

2. Dirty6Sanchez

Dirty6Sanchez Well-Known Member

still awesome, even a few years later

3. GreenMachine

No way the Jets win. No way.

4. How dare the Jets even SHOW UP for the game this saturday!

We all know football games are decided long before the opening whistle!

5. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

They're presenting the Pats with the Lombardi Trophy before the game. I heard Jay Z is going to be there. :up:

6. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

I still think about that superbowl from time to time. Honestly, it would eat me alive every day to have a perfect season and then lose in the superbowl as such. I'd be tempted to say if it was the Jets I'd rather have them not even make the playoffs that year, it would eat me alive that much. It sucks that it had to be the fucking giants to do it, but thank god they did. I never give the Giants any credit because they are like watching paint dry, they bore the living shit out of me, but I have to say they won the most impressive superbowl I've been able to witness in my 20 years of watching football.

7. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Think of it this way - NY beat Boston.

Anytime that wannabe city gets their ass kicked by us, I'm happy.

8. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

Oh Ill definitely take it, beats the alternative.

Im getting crazy feelings about this upcoming game, in a way it may parallel that Superbowl collapse. Nobodys picking the Jets, and I just have this ridiculously optimistic feeling about this game. You have a very young defense with little playoff experience waiting an entire week to play a team that they recently beat 45-3.
    I think Rex is right. So long as Sanchez doesn't turn the ball over, this will come down to coaching.

9. GoPats

GoPats Well-Known Member

As a 38-year-old lifelong Pats fan, that game hurt more than just about anything in my sports-watching experience. More than Bucky Dent, Bill Buckner, and Aaron Boone combined. I don't think I turned on ESPN or read a newspaper or football blog for three months.

What made it worse was losing Brady in the first quarter of the following season. As a fan you're kind of hoping for redemption in that situation, and the Patriots' schedule in 2008 was very soft.

It took a lot of time, but eventually, I started to come around a little. You have to credit the Giants for the job they did in that game. And having watched the Patriots do something similar to the Rams six years earlier, I kind of realized it was just fate/destiny/whatever you want to call it.

So it sounds homer-ish of me, but over time, I've learned to appreciate the whole "16-0" regular season for what it was. Obviously a better ending would have been preferred, but I don't look at the whole thing as a complete and total negative. Brady still had an historic run that year, and set a record that probably won't be broken (especially since it looks like an 18-game schedule is inevitable). I understand that "18-1" is a big joke for opposing fans, and I'm not denying the utter "fail factor" here, but as time passes, it becomes a little easier to look back and appreciate the good parts.

Just one man's opinion though. :up:

10. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

The only thing that would have made the Great Patriots Collapse much more enjoyable is if it wasn't the Giants who beat them.

11. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Maybe I'm just speaking for myself but I could tolerate the Giants then much more than I can now.

12. patswinagain

patswinagain New Member

Well imagine the Pats, TWO Super Bowls won 1978 and 2007 and both lost over one MAJOR bad call. Noone missed Seymour being choked yet it wasn't called so Manning is able to escape and make the biggest past. Robbed of two super bowls. 2007 it was obvious NFL was going to help Indy win. Glad to see they didn't screw you guys over last weekend. I wanted you to win.

13. patswinagain

patswinagain New Member

And the illegal choke hold on Seymour on that play that allowed Manning to break free and make the toss was what football was all about?

14. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

BWAHAHAHAA. The benefactor of the biggest bullshit call in sports history complaining about officiating. Priceless.

15. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

The Pats had a 21-3 lead against the Colts in the title game that year.

16. patswinagain

patswinagain New Member

yeah almost 60 percent of the team had the flu also and just could not go that long. That's part of the game. I don't mind losing, just be fair on the calls. The calls weren't fair for the Pats and many other teams. Thomas was down on the 7 yd line which would have been good for 3 to 7 more points for Pats but we lost the ball on a real bad call due to a late whistle and so many holding plays not called. That's fine if both teams are called equal but the NFL saw to it Peyton Manning got his ring. Losing is fine, just don't rob us like you did in 78 and again against the broncos.

There are some teams that get totally robbed each year costing the playoffs and the NFL has to step it up for the last 4 or 5 years are worse than before they had instant replay but 07 was give it to Manning. Peyton Manning is amazing but I have much more respect for Eli.NFL made sure Peyton Manning had at least one ring Now.

Eli/Giants had the SB given to him on that one play that the refs knew there was a penalty, Seymour was starting to pull Eli down on that play. Outside of that one call that cost us the SB all by itself, the game was called fairly and Eli who i never respected showed so much poise and changed my thinking of him as a wanna be to a competitor.

The Giants defense was amazing in the SB which you need to even have a chance of winning this coming weekend(you did have 2 or 3 sacks last game but it cost you alot of points too). Tom was missing open receivers he was so rattled against the Giants in the SB and how many total gimmies and drops did "on the take" Jabar Gaffney have.Gaffney looked like he purposely dropped a few balls.

So Giants played amazing and I felt the last 3 games of the season the perfect season was stressing out the pats in 07 but call the game fair and Pats win on the miracle catch which came from the choke hold. In 2008 the super bowl pre game show showed the full choke hold but it's rarely brought up outside of Seymour himself. NFL has a way of serving themselves.

Some bring up the snow bowl but that was the correct call. So the rest is BS.

I just want to see the games called evenly. Win or lose is fine. Glad Jets weren't robbed last weekend for I figure you would be
    I like the passion of you Jet fans, you've gone so many years with poor coaching outside of Parcells and the last two years have been good. All the blame put on Mark is crazy, it's his second year in New York, a high stress region which is EXACTLY why Rex is giving all the BS and trying to bring attention to Rex and BB versus Rex's team and Mark but it's a real bad move for as hard as BB and Tom have worked over 10 years this has made it real personal behind closed doors.

#116 patswinagain, Jan 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  17. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

Tuck rule.

18. patswinagain

patswinagain New Member

Exactly. And having been a Pats fan and ticket holder from 1981 and wearing bags on our heads I understand how important this year is for the Jets, a passionate group for their team. Passion is good. But what a mistake in trying to save Mark the stress in calling out Brady and BB by Rex. It's gonna have an impact so that even if you get up that extra effort that was there in the important games will be there. If the Jets lose this weekend Rex has made the team who accomplished tons the past two years look like fools and that's not fear to any of the jet players. The game has always been played on the field.

#118 patswinagain, Jan 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  19. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Are Patriot trolls eligible for the Rich Kotite award? because I think we have a winner here.

20. patswinagain

patswinagain New Member

I forgot you guys had to deal with Rich Kotite too. What a past. worse than the old Pats when we wore bags