Alio's Kick Ass Program

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by AlioTheFool, Jun 8, 2007.

1. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Everyone squats with shitty form.

But squats are far less dangerous than leg presses, because of the nature of the exercise.

You can only load as much on the bar as the rest of your stabilizer muscles can control. And that's generally weaker than your knees.

In the :Leg Press, your lowerback is in a bad setting and you can overload the weight on top of the piss poor positioning.

Bottom line...Unless your goal is to leg press more weight, you'll get better physiological results from sprinting.

Squatting is inherently safer if hypertrophy is your goal...but for asthetics, Sprinting is far more effecacious...

2. 74

74 Well-Known Member

A max effort would be defined as the most weight that can be lifted with proper form for one rep. If an injury results from poor form due to too much weigh then the culprit is not the squat, it is the ego. To say that people should not perform one of, if not the, most beneficial full body movement because they do it wrong is ridiculous - they should learn to do it correctly. If you are arguing that it is better to do no squats than to do them with incorrect form then you have a point but the same can be said for any exercise so it's quite a silly thing to argue in my opinion.

I never said all bodybuilders only do leg presses. I said leg presses are a main reason why they end up needing joint replacements. Your counter that it is mostly due to being 300 pounds is flawed because bodybuilders weighing in under 200 have the same issues and strength athletes consistently subject themselves to loads over 500 pounds without issue.

#942 74, Dec 3, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
  3. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

You're missing the point though.
    He said basically, bodybuilders have bad knees because they do leg presses. That was his argument.

I called out that statement.
    There are a lot of variables in there. (I.e. their high body weight in general.) So, that was my point.

Personally, I do not do leg presses. I don't have a horse in that race. I just disagree with the notion that "bodybuilders have bad knees because of the leg press" because there are too many holes in that argument.

I'm not saying that leg presses are a better exercise than squats. Ok? That's not what the argument is about.

I did not say that people should not squat... I don't know where you got that from.

What I said is that there's risk. You're saying "it's risk-free if you do it perfectly every time!" (I disagree with that - it's low-risk but never zero-risk) and I'm saying that that is a standard that very few people live up to in the real world at a 100% clip.

I don't believe "No it's mostly or only from weighing a lot" - my point was that there are a multitude of other factors that are in play and I don't think it all or mainly comes down to leg press. I'd want to see data to back that up before I'd just nod in agreement.

I don't care about the leg press, I don't do the leg press. I'm just a skeptic about your theory, that's all.

I don't see any data on injury rates for bodybuilders, versus olympic style lifters. There are a lot of powerlifters with knee injuries.

I mean, if there's data on the injury rates for powerlifters versus bodybuilders (I have never looked for any) - and then also data on the typical regimens of the two groups, and then the sub-groups of the ones who get hurt... then we're talking. But if it's based on just anecdotal observations, meh.

4. Hobbes3259

He didn't state it in absolutes

also, he didn'r say anything someone with common sense, much less a physiology degree would tell you.

5. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

Go back and re-read it. He was speaking in absolutes with regards to the cause of the knee problems. Maybe he didn't mean it to be as absolute as what he wrote.

It's a bit ridiculous that you feel a need to sling your petty insults at me over this.

6. 74

74 Well-Known Member

No I wasn't. I said leg press is bad for your joints.

7. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

Yes you were.

If that's not speaking in absolutes, I don't know what is.

8. 74

74 Well-Known Member

well I didn't mean that it is the only reason. steroid use, utilization of other joint damaging exercises (like leg extension machine for example), and extreme volume and intensity of workouts (usually possible to achieve only with steroids) would be other common contributors to joint degeneration of bbers. I just thought that stuff went without saying, my bad. Maybe abnormal body weight plays a role like you mentioned, I just don't think it's nearly as big a factor as you do.

#948 74, Dec 6, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
  9. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

Gotcha. Yeah I don't really think it's mostly due to their high body weight (although my previous posts probably sounded like that's what I believe), it's a bunch of factors and I'm sure the ones who do lots of leg presses have higher risks of bad knees.

10. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Did 5 reps of 315 squatting tonite. Going to try and get up to 405 before I shred down again.

11. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

For sure about the knee part, I recall back years ago I would do leg presses on the machines and my knees would be in raw pain that night, wasn't able to sleep at all.

12. Hobbes3259

I dead that for ten reps...5 sets... after upperbody (my grip fails heavier).... I'm 51.

trying to get back to pulling 405,,

13. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Yeah I dont deadlift, never has been part of my routine. But thats awesome for your age.

14. 74

74 Well-Known Member

15. BIG COUNTRY

BIG COUNTRY Well-Known Member

I gotta work deadlifts into my routine ive always had bad form and ive felt it in my back i just gotta fix that cuz deadlifts r great for u if done properly

74 likes this.
  16. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Threw-up dismornining after squats lmaoo

17. Hobbes3259

Pulled 405...Finally back....!