AJ Mcarron to the Bills.

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by AlexJETS, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

2. NYCBillsFan

NYCBillsFan Well-Known Member

I'm liking this off-season so far. Just don't blow it come draft day........

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  3. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

But I thought they were about to trade above us to select a QB in the draft ? :rolleyes:

4. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

No doubt they are still all in on drafting a QB in round one. A two year deal is as much a stopgap as we gave mccown and bridgewater.

5. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

:rolleyes:

Signing a career back up to a two year deal does not prevent them from doing that. Just as us signing two QBs does not prevent us from drafting another.

6. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

You think Mcarron isn't a number one, the major reason he is leaving the Bengals, no way he is going there to be back up.

Whereas we have resigned a 39yo who will no doubt be taking his first steps as a QB coach and a 25yo who showed enough promise before an injury to maybe just maybe still be good enough to be a serviceable number 1 QB, we can still draft one at 6, do you think the Bills are going to throw away 5 future draft picks to climb into the top 5 this year ?

I don't think the Bills are trading up for a QB.

Edit Also a career back up is funny way to view a player that has only been in the league 3 years, the same length of time as Petty isn't it.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

They are most definitely trading up for a quarterback. They signed Mccarron because presently Nathan Peterman was the only QB on the roster and he sucks tremendously. Mccarron could be their week 1 starter depending on if their new guy isn't ready yet but they are drafting a quarterback early in the draft for sure

8. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Bills are 100% trying to trade up for a QB, key word being trying cause there is no guarantee they can. Signing McCarron in no way changes there desire to move up. All he does is give them insurance if they either can’t or the QB they do move up for is not ready to start.

Not like AJ had many choices, not like many were beating down the door to give him the keys to the franchise.

9. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Good pickup

10. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

The 25 year old better play before the 40 year old

K'OB likes this.
  11. BrowningNagle

It was a good move. They swapped Tyrod Taylor for AJ Mccarron, a 3rd round pick and $10 million in cap space.

12. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Foles and Bradford didn't think they were going to be backups and the Eagles went out and got Carson Wentz anyway. The Bills are still going to try and trade up. If they don't get it done then they have a QB who may be able to start in the league, if they Manage to get a top AB prospect they have a bridge QB with some limited upside. This does not affect thier draft plans at all, its simply a fall back plan.

13. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

You guys made the play offs with Tyrod but you didn't like him at all. He was a QB who protected the ball. Why did you guys move on from him. I have no idea. Can you shed some light on this?

14. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Tyrod was safe but also not much of a playmaker. He rarely would push the ball down the feild with throws or take any type of chance. His yards per attempt were dismal the last couple of years after peaking at 8.0 in 2015.

Of the top ten QB's last year only russle wilson was near 7 at 7.2. most were in the upper 7's and some into the 8 range. Taylor was in the upper 6 rage the last couple of years. It just a stat sure, but a stat telling he gets less out of each drop back than top QB's in the nfl.

15. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Thanks Harpua.

Weren't his issues teachable? They sat him down for a game and their rookie was terrible so they had to back to him. I admit. I don't watch Bills at all but I found it interesting that they wanted to move on from him so quick.

16. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I dont watch much Bills myself. This is just from the few games I saw and talking to Bills fans in my area. It was a mentality issue that didnt change over a few seasons. It could also be an inability to read the feild and not finding open guys deep. Tyrod is a bottom third starter in the league stats wise. Capable but nothing great.

Brook! likes this.
  17. BrowningNagle

The new staff didn't like him from day 1 for some reason. I think they want to play a different style than what Taylor is equipped for. He's good with his legs and throws a good deep ball but not much of an intermediate passer. I think they want an short/intermediate passing game

Brook! likes this.
  18. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Your draft got blown yesterday.

19. NYCBillsFan

NYCBillsFan Well-Known Member

Tyrod couldn't throw a guy open. His anticipation lacked. He was great with his feet and would extend drives, but he also had a lot of 3 and outs. That put pressure on the D. Personally, I think they could have, pardon the pun, tailored the offense to his skill set, but that would have been at the expense of McDermott's vision for the team. Taylor was a hand-me-down from Rex, so McDermott had no allegiance to him. I have to admit, I think Tyrod's hard work and professional attitude and leadership kept him as a starter longer than McDermott wanted. He waited until Tyrod had a few stinkers put together and saw his opportunity to roll the bones with Peterman. When that came up snake eyes, he had no choice but to go back to Tyrod. Luckily, he never lost the locker room because of that benching.

Brook! likes this.