Ah nothing quite like...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Feb 7, 2017.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

having a bottom 5 team in 2016 and the 2nd least cap room. Time to trim the fat for sure.

1. Cleveland Browns: $97.39m
    2. San Francisco 49ers: $80.89m
    3. Tennessee Titans: $66.66m
    4. New England Patriots: $65.22m
    5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: $64.94m
    6. Jacksonville Jaguars: $64.35m
    7. Washington Redskins: $59.75m
    8. Chicago Bears: $54.68m
    9. Indianapolis Colts: $50.33m
    10. Carolina Panthers: $49.70m
    11. Oakland Raiders: $46.26m
    12. Cincinnati Bengals: $44.29m
    13. L.A. Rams: $40.20m
    14. Detroit Lions: $35.98m
    15. Pittsburgh Steelers: $35.43m
    16. Denver Broncos: $33.04m
    17. Arizona Cardinals: $32.73m
    18. Green Bay Packers: $30.99m
    19. Miami Dolphins: $29.91m
    20. New Orleans Saints: $29.63m
    21. Seattle Seahawks: $27.79m
    22. Houston Texans: $25.79m
    23. Atlanta Falcons: $24.03m
    24. New York Giants: $23.68m
    25. Buffalo Bills: $22.10m
    26. San Diego Chargers: $20.23m
    27. Minnesota Vikings: $20.06m
    28. Baltimore Ravens: $15.38m
    29. Philadelphia Eagles: $7.18m
    30. Kansas City Chiefs: $3.49m
    31. New York Jets: (-) $7.42m
    32. Dallas Cowboys: (-) $11.31m

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

We'll make cap room easily, it's the "evaluating players" part we need to be concerned about.

3. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

We have some bloated deals that are easy to get out of and we don't have a ton of players to re-sign. The number is a bit misleading tbh.

Royal Tee likes this.
  4. Snoopdogg

Snoopdogg Active Member

I honestly don't know what's worse - being a Browns fan and paying high prices to watch the team suck and the billionaire owner put $100 million in unspent salary into his pocket? Or beyond a Jets fan and paying higher prices and watching an overpriced, expensive team go down the tubes?

Probably I'd rather be the Jets fan I guess. People in Cleveland should run that owner put of town for stealing their money.

NYJFOREVER and GasedAndConfused like this.
  5. GasedAndConfused

true.
    cut Marshall, harris, and clady
    trade richardson
    that is 32 million saved without much loss. putting us at 24.5 mil in cap room. save 4.5 for rookie deals so 20mil to spend in free agency. but even with 24.5 it ranks us 23rd in the NFL with cap room
    that is just a sham. how can your team be that bad, have that much cap room and still never sign players. not to mention they let their top WR in 2015 leave in free agency (benjamin) and let gabriel walk who did great in ATL this year. with gabriel, benjamin, pryor, and gordon (if he would have stayed playing) would have been a really good WR group. instead all they have is pryor and seems like they are gonna let him walk too

6. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

Yeah, and likewise a lot of the teams higher up have more roster spots to fill than we do. It's not like all the other teams have a full 53-man roster under contract. It evens out.

Again, you guys are over thinking it.

#6 Kris 15, Feb 8, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

With Maccagnan's track record among free agents and the prices he's paid, maybe its a good thing we don't have any cap room. We sit this FA period out and don't get any worse.That is somehow progress

Brook! likes this.
  8. GasedAndConfused

IDK if we can afford to. we need instant help at CB and O-line. there are some decent CBs out there too

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  9. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

Add Revis and Mangold to that list and its another 16mm which gets them to 40mm under. It's really not that bad, they just need to make the right moves that we all know need to be made. Harris and Clady they can probably get back for a reduced price although the way they delayed the Clady decision until later in TC means he is likely gone unless they are unable to find a replacement.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  10. GasedAndConfused

revis is a tricky one. As bad as he played if we cut him he still counts 8 mil against the cap. and we are already very weak at the position. the 7 mil we save would be hard to find a suitable replacement. We might be better off asking him to take a cut and hoping he bounces back. Or trying to move him to safety. Ghilcrest may not be ready for the season anyway and could be a cap casualty as well. Revis could do well at FS with his smarts and ball skills. the only thing that has declined is his speed and conditioning. at FS his speed wouldn't be a liability. we seen lots of good CBs move to safety and dominate.

With mangold it's also tricky. the cap savings are much better then revis though, and his replacement last year played well. but with mangold his play hasn't declined much and he's the leader and smart enough to call out protections and help out a young QB. If we want to rebuild the o-line with youth, a guy like mangold goes a long way in easing the transition. It's also a position we are very thin at.

because of that, i can see us keeping both but hoping they both take a paycut. revis really should with all the holdouts and shit he pulled. mangold really shouldn't he deserves every penny and then some. he's been a perfect teammate, and anchor of our line for over a decade.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

The dead money is Woody's, not mine. He wanted him back so let him pay it and dump Mevis. They need to start acting like a smart team and dump players a year early rather than 2-3 years too late. I hate Belicheat but look at what he does and how much space they have and they still win with the next man up. Draft right, sign the right FA's at the right price at the right age for the right # years and dump the dead wood. That's the blueprint for revitalizing this sad franchise.

12. GasedAndConfused

i don't care about woody paying out, but dead money counts against the cap. meaning we will be paying revis 8 million to go play on another team. 8 mil is quality starting CB money. to spend 8 mil and get nothing in return is rough on the cap. not to mention the 5 mil for fitz. if we cut ghilcrest too thats a total of 17 mil in dead cap room or roughly 10% of our cap being taken up by players not on the team. that is very high to deal with when trying to field a competitive team

13. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Dead money is a sunk cost, we're paying that whether Revis is on the roster or not. What matters is whether Revis is worth the 9M we could save by cutting him.

nicg4360 and Newyawka like this.
  14. Snoopdogg

Snoopdogg Active Member

More precisely, the question is whether we can sign a corner for less than $9M who could give us more than Revis. If yes, then it is a net upgrade and the Jets should do it.

At this point I think it's fairly obvious that we could get a corner for $5M who would be a definite upgrade from Darrelle.

alleycat9 likes this.
  15. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

The only trick I want to see is for both of these guys to disappear, especially Revis.

16. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

We have one of the highest abilities in the NFL to create cap via cuts. I expect us to have 40-50 million in cap by the time free agency rolls around.

nicg4360 likes this.
  17. Jets_Grinch

Jets_Grinch Well-Known Member

Any day now i expect the below to become reality. This team will have plenty of cap room to work with. As well, i hope to hear of some renegotiated contracts with a couple of vets that have leadership capabilites. I am looking at guys like Harris, Decker and Mangold who can pass down knowledge of "how to be a pro" to what i hope is a very young squad next year. This only if they come back with more team friendly price tags.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  18. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

this sucks man...

but in a way I feel like it's good. we have almost no choice but to do this the right way. if we had cap room right now I'd be worried that we'd blow it on vets.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  19. GasedAndConfused

Revis i can understand, but why mangold? he's been a top player at his position for us, a lifelong jet, and the anchor of our o-line for a decade. All while being a great leader and mentor for younger players and having a great attitude. He's still playing at a high level as well and this season was the 1st time he had injury issues.

20. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i enjoy people who hate revis and call him silly names. possibly the best player in franchise history but you fellas were just waiting to jump on him as soon as he wasn't the best. all because he felt he should be paid more and ended up getting what he wanted. 3 times. and a superbowl ring.

its really quite funny.