Accuracy

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Feb 21, 2018.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

That's why I say accuracy isn't as important as arm strength and FIQ. Yes, it IS important, but if an accurate passer who can't thread the needle against pro defenses, or in windy/poor conditions, or who doesn't have a feel for when to make a play or to throw it away or when to scramble, than that guy probably won't be successful in the NFL.

westiedog1 and CotcheryFan like this.
  2. Dsmiles13

Dsmiles13 Member

I'd just like to throw out there though that over 8% of Jackson's throws this season were dropped. I'm sure some of that was him just not quite being able to get the proper amount of touch,velocity whatever. But also WR got to help out their QB's and Jackson's did him no favors this year at all.

3. tomjet529

tomjet529 Member

so, if weak armed Chad Pennington didnt break his hand, he still would not have been a success in the nfl?

4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Go back and re-read what I posted for comprehension. Where did I say that a strong arm was the ONLY thing that determined if a QB would be successful? In fact, I took pains to say while I thought it was the #1 criteria I would use to judge, if that was the ONLY things QB had he wouldn't succeed. But if you're just looking for an argument there's lots of guys here who will oblige you.

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I also think he's the most accurate, and is the best leader, and it isn't even close.

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I think that arm strength is actually a notch below accuracy and Football Intelligence, and those two are equally important, but also think it can depend upon the system.

For instance, for a downfield passing attack, arm strength is more important, but for a WCO, the QB doesn't have to have all that strong an arm. A QB who plays most of his games in a dome or where it's warmer and less windy doesn't have to have as strong and arm as a QB who plays outside in the Northeast.

There have been QBs who have succeeded in the NFL with great accuracy and football intelligence, but not very strong arms. (Bart Starr, Joe Montana, and our own Chad Pennington are prime examples.)

There have been guys who had very strong arms but perhaps less football intelligence and accuracy. (Vinny Testaverde, Brett Favre, Joe Flacco?)

There have been guys who had very strong arms, and definitely less football intelligence and accuracy (Browning Nagle, Cutler)

7. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Arm strength is the most overrated attribute for a QB as long as the QB has enough arm strength.

Gimme an accurate QB that has enough arm strength, like Mayfield over a QB with a cannon that can’t hit the broad side of a barn like Allen.

8. StrongSide

StrongSide New Member

I think accuracy in college is something that typically translates to the NFL.

ColoradoContrails likes this.