According to the NFL We Are Last in Red Zone Offense

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by championjets69, Oct 17, 2018.

1. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

champ's long lost son. :mad: I don't disagree, though. I was thankful for the drops, and it really can't be disputed that it helped us tremendously. I'll still take it anyway I can get it, and I don't care how many times we win on the backs of someone else's gaffes and mistakes. That's just how it works sometimes.

2. JetsFanDoc

JetsFanDoc Well-Known Member

I feel like the only way this changes is if Herndon starts to really takes a step forward and becomes a force. Otherwise we simply don't have the manpower to score really in a compressed field. It's unfortunate, and it's likely the death of them this year (that and ironically their D inbetween the 20s).

3. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

If we score 40+ pts per game I don't care what our red zone offense is ranked.

CotcheryFan, Biggs and FJF like this.
  4. JdotGriff

JdotGriff Well-Known Member

Our TD % in the red zone is absolutely horrible. Something like 30%

This has a lot to do with play calling we almost never pass the ball within the 20 and NEVER pass the ball within the 10.
    Darnold has only 20 attempts inside the 20 and only 5 attempts inside the 10.

The coaching staff is babying Darnold and there is a good reason why. Darnold has struggled very much this year when put under immediate pressure
    and needs to be able to trust his pre-snap reads for him not to start dancing in the pocket.

I understand most people are just looking at his eyes watching him make reads but everytime Sam starts having a bad game watch his feet. The kid gets nervous
    and starts hopping around like a jumping bean and ends with off timed and over thrown balls.

This is not a knock on Darnold but an understanding that he's a young QB with little pro experience and a problematic Oline he still hasn't learned to trust.
    Long as they keep him on a short leash in the red zone and take the points they can get the trust will build and they will slowly let him off it.

sozopol and FJF like this.
  5. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I understand the concern. But quite frankly, if we continue to score at this pace, with a rookie QB, I wouldn't give too shits about this stat. That problem will be solved as he matures.

CotcheryFan, Sam Hammer, FJF and 2 others like this.
  6. JdotGriff

I was definitely not saying it like it's a bad thing it actually a very smart thing. Darnold will be a very good QB possibly great and we do not want to break this kid this early on.

7. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Interesting the Arizona Cardinals rank 11th in red zone TD's percentage and average 13.7 points a game. The Rams rank 12th in Red Zone Td's and average 32.7 points per game. Seattle is No. 2 in red zone and averages 23.8 points per game. Were scoring 4 more points per game than Seattle. This red zone thing is a really telling stat.

sozopol, Attackett and FJF like this.
  8. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Agree Jdot. And the issue in the red zone is more than Sam. Until our OL imposes their will, the big targets hold on to the ball, and TB trusts Sam enough to open the play book we will expect this stat to be low.
    I have to tell you, watching Aaron this Monday I had the eerie feeing than Sam has many of those traits. I'm not comparing him by any means, but there is a demeanor there that gives me nothing but confidence. I couldn't be more enthused about this pick. It is time now to rap some real offensive talent around him. Aside from Enunwa, hard to find out who his security blanket really is. You know, like the Wayne Chrebet of old.

NYJetsO12 and JdotGriff like this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

That's a good analysis, I still think they need to take more shots and not baby him, but your explanation makes sense, even if I don't like it.

JdotGriff likes this.
  10. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

As a side issue, IMHO this is the first time in ions that when a QB for the Jets, rookie or not, goes back to pass, my first knee jerk reaction is not, "oh shit please don't throw and interception". That, in and of itself, makes my Sundays happier than hell.
    My only fear is we waste his talent by not surrounding him with talent asap.

FJF and JdotGriff like this.
  11. JdotGriff

If I wasn't clear I was definitely laying blame on the Oline. Not just his lack of trust in them which is very much a legit thing.

Not to many guys like Wayne left anymore who will just lay their body on the line every week to make a play. This is one of the reasons I still hold high hope for stewart cause he is very much a receiver that has no issues playing the battering ram cross the middle. Having someone like him across from enunwa when we go spread would be a great thing to watch.

12. JdotGriff

lol i cant not argue with this lol I do honestly think this years draft will be heavy on the offensive side of the ball. If you look at the contracts/youth we have on defense currently and the way Bowles has made something out of nothing
    with our pass rush. Free agency will prob be a mix of2nd hand players for both sides of the ball and draft will be offensive play makers.

13. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Interesting that you bring up Rodgers. Green Bay is in the bottom half of the league in Red Zone TD's. They do score a lot of TD's outside of the Red Zone because of his ability to create space for his receivers.

LAJet likes this.
  14. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

champ's gonna champ, Jets gonna Jet, but for real, the Jets have always pretty much flat out sucked in the Red Zone. That is, of course, if memory serves, and it's not like I'm making it up. I wish I was.

That aside . . .
    Russell Wilson choked in the Red Zone against them dang Boston Patriots in the Super Bowl! What an idiot!

Signed,
    -Mrs. championjets69 :mad:

15. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

21 points from your kicker and not your offense against a team with a losing record hardly sounds promising

People are making a big deal over our point production over the last 2 games but of course that's entirely skewed because our level of competition has been terrible

Lets see us score the same over the next 10 games and ill fall off my chair

That said, without Sam our average would 6 points pg

The play calling and CS are suspect..the Kid we have never is

Peebag and ColoradoContrails like this.
  16. JdotGriff

This makes perfect sense. They lets Fitz air the ball out but put the leash on the kid..... ::insert eye roll::

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  17. JdotGriff

Last 3 years
    2015 3rd in the league
    2016 Dead last and very similar stats to this year
    2017 top 15 less than 5% off form top 5

18. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Yep, it means pretty much nothing. The only reason the Jets are so low is because they have gotten to the red zone very frequently recently, and have scored several times from outside of the red zone. Defensive turnovers contribute as well as having a recent 7 FG game.

If you guys want to actually look at stats that matter, look at total drives and total scores (or strictly TD% if you prefer). Isolating the red zone is silly. By that logic any possession that results in a punt is better than any possession you get a FG.

#38 Sam Hammer, Oct 17, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  19. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

we need to let darnold throw more down there, he was excellent in preseason passing in the red zone but it seems bates doens't want to let him do it now. funny as other OCs are getting their QB picked off throwing it on 1st and goal from the 1

20. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Champ has been searching in vain for a "Curley" Edwards jersey since Monday. Must be sold out! :mad::mad::mad:

FJF likes this.