Abraham Trade Priorities

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetFighter, Feb 28, 2006.

1. JetFighter

JetFighter Active Member

I see the following scenarios in order as the priorities for getting something back for Abraham:

Priority # 1: A first round draft pick. If we get somewhere in the 16-25 range, then perhaps trade down a little later in the first round with that pick, we'll optimize the return value for Abraham.

Priority # 2: Trade up. Use Abraham to move up to the top spot (but we should also get a 3rd or 4th in the deal) with Houston. This allows us to pick the quarterback we want.

Priority # 3: Trade him straight up for a player and a lower round draft pick. May be able to fill a hole with a proven vet and get another pick.

Last Option: Keep him for 2006. He'll come back for the money at some point. But this creates big cap issues.

Agree with this prioritized wish list?

2. Houston Jet

Houston Jet New Member

Trade him to the Texans. Move up to #1. Then Trade a couple of places down and get Ctler and accumulate extra picks.

3. JetFighter

JetFighter Active Member

Cutler ain't gonna make it past the 3rd pick is my guess

4. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

I like option 1 or 3 the best....This way we get ride of his cap ## and dont replace it with another potential high number. The benifit is 2 fold this way

5. JetFanInTampa

JetFanInTampa Banned

if the Jets trade Abe for a first rounder they should use the 4th pick to draft Mario Williams. People dont seem to realize that by trading Abe that gives us another hole. And I dont think many of us are comfortable with Bryan Thomas starting.

6. JetFighter

JetFighter Active Member

True, the trade creates a hole, but it potentially fills 2 or more other holes. Net net, we still gain. Mario Williams would be a fine pick, or we may find a good edge guy later in round 1/early round 2 using the extra picks we gain.

7. DonnieBaseball23

DonnieBaseball23 Active Member

I don't see us getting any of those. Abe is holding the cards. Because he's a franchise player, he can determine what team he goes to, which means the other teams will have leverage in negotiations.

If someone came with a second, I'd sign off on that in a heart beat.

8. 1028

1028 Active Member

Not necessarily, because all indications are wed be switching to the 3-4, so in that scenario Abe wouldnt be needed at DE. Could he play rush backer? Thats possible, but that hole can be filled outside of the 1st round

9. theUandtheJETS

theUandtheJETS New Member

stop comeon that is one of the craziest thing iver ever heard. were not playing a video game here, first of abraham wouldnt get you the number 1 pick or even near it, second you dont trade for the number one pick and then trade it away.

10. McCluneNYJ

McCluneNYJ Active Member

It doesn't really create a hole at all, as Abe would probably have moved to OLB if we make the switch to the 3-4. He doesn't have the size to lock down the DE in a 3-4.

As has been stated before, Reed and Ellis are the best fits for DE's in the 3-4 on our roster right now. If not, a move of Dewayne to DE might be another option, with a FA or Pouha taking up the middle, but no way was Abe our 3-4 DE.

11. Johnny4

Johnny4 New Member

I'd trade him for Denver's pick.Then I would take Mario Williams with the #4 or trade down.

12. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I would be shocked if Tennessee took Cutler. Vince Young is the much better fit for that team in my opinion.

Take Cutler at #4
    Trade Abe for a late first early second rounder (With this pick try and grab a defensive player that can start day one.)
    With our early second rounder draft a OT.

That is a good way to start the draft...

13. JetFighter

JetFighter Active Member

Why would you be shocked? I think there is a good chance both New Orleans and Tennessee would take Cutler before Young.

14. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

we need 2 earlier picks for him.....a 1st and a 4th. or 2nd and 3rd