A question for the entire TGG.com Nation

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Folks, I'm not a Tebow fan nor am I a Sanchez Homer but something about this entire situation isn't adding up. We trade for Tebow, then use him in Pop Warner formations with an occasional pass. We're told he was brought in to help but it appears as though the help was only intended for Ticket and Swag sales. Hmmmmm..

Now, if practice determines how much playing time is given to any particular player, you have to ask this question:

If Mark Sanchez is stinking up the Joint, the team has lost 5 of its last 6 games by lopsided margins and your offense is simply not working, Why aren't other options being utilized?

Specifically, what is the CS seeing in practice during the week that keeps Tebow running Pop Warner plays on Sunday? Why are Rex Ryan and Tony Sparano TERRIFIED of starting Tebow or even benching Sanchez?

Either there really are no other options at Qb on the roster, or this CS is totally and unequivocally devoted to Mark Sanchez as the starter come what may. Can Tebow be so horribly bad during the week that they just don't even consider playing him at QB during a losing streak as bad as this?

Here's one last thing to consider: The Jets play on Thanksgiving. With the team playing this badly, what are the odds that Woody intervenes on Tebow's behalf just to make sure there are plenty butts in the seats? Can you imagne the embarrassment to the organization if MetLife Stadium is half empty and pardon the pun, lifeless?

This one WILL get bloody before it gets better and heads will roll. Just a matter of whose head and when.

2. Backup QB

Backup QB Active Member

Good question, and I believe you answered it.

3. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Look, is anybody surprised at this team ?

We had MAJOR HOLES that needed fixing. We backslid from 2 AFC CG's to not even making the playoffs last year and our FO does NOTHING via trades, the draft, or FA. The biggest noise is signing a backup QB who sucks all the oxygen out of the room.

I am more convinced than ever that Woody Johnson ordered the trade for Tebow over the objections of Rex/MT. But even if they didn't, blame Rex for hiring Sparano. The last thing Sanchez needed was an OL coach as OC.

4. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Schein brought up that last point yesterday on Jets post game. It's a good point and should be very interesting.

5. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

It is pretty obvious by now that Tebow was a marketing ploy by the owner. If Tebow or even McElroy had even half a clue at the QB position, they would have easily beaten out Mark for the starting job.

I've been supporting Mark up until this season, and after yesterday he lost me. But he isn't the only problem on the team and the CS knows this. The OLine is Jeckyll n' Hyde, we have no running back, no vet receivers, Keller missing from 3-5 games, but he was def not himself yesterday.

The fire Rex thread is ridiculous and reactionary. He's a good coach. He's a great defensive coach and his offensive abilities are coming along. But its pretty obvious that he knows he can't do shit with the team he has. They need some higher draft picks and a couple diamonds in the rough to come through.

It isn't happening this year. So we are going to be the punching bag of the league for the time being. The defense was playing like mad-men yesterday but they couldn't hold out after the continued 3-n-outs the O was putting up with.

We will all have to deal with the season whatever it may bring but at least we know we don't have to worry about playoffs.

6. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

Tebow move could write possibly go down as one if the worst moves in franchise history. Why not go after a start caliber WR or RB to help Sanchez? Instead we go after a QB who can't play QB and hang the player who is supposed to be our guy out to dry. The first two years went great developing him because he had the players around him. Who do we have new that scares anybody? Kerley?

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

What the coaching staff is likely seeing in practice is that Tim Tebow is a badly flawed passer who has never performed well in practice anyway. Sanchez is bad but Tebow looks like a tuba player in among the flutes.

For whatever reason Tim Tebow has not made the adjustments necessary to be seen as an acceptable NFL caliber QB. All of the arguments for him are motivational and existential, none of them are professional or technical.

To get him on the field you need a true believer running things and one who is willing to go all-in on faith that Tebow will produce. It is unreasonable to expect somebody who does not come from a spread-option background to be willing to make that move.

If Woody Johnson wants Tim Tebow on the field he needs to go get Chip Kelly to make it happen. Even then the odds are pretty good that Kelly will go find a mechanically sound spread-option QB to run his gig.

If Tim Tebow wants to get a serious shot at an NFL QB job he needs to make the adjustments that come along with that. He's not going to be handed anything until he does that. This must be obvious to him by now.

8. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I've said it before, I like the kid and am a (casual) UF fan (many friends who are rabid fans, alum, former players, etc) but was NOT a fan of Tebow coming here.... I really don't think he's a good QB at the NFL level, but at this point what's the difference. Sanchez is playing AWFUL (yes, so are many of the pieces around him. protection, receivers (sans Kerley) etc).
    My only guess is that Tebow really does look that bad in practice, because he sure looked like shit playing against preseason scrubs, when someone w/ experience should shine.
    If Mark craps the bed vs NE on national TV, I bet that's when Woody steps in, and calls for a Tebow Time homecoming game in JAX. At least they may have homefield advantage then :wink:

9. rico college

rico college Well-Known Member

Huh?

He is only a backup quarterback. I know we are all mad but let not start talking crazy.

10. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Interesting thought: They brought Tebow in here, and most of us were against the move but reasoned that we needed a back-up anyway, Sanchez is the starter - no controversy there, and we'd use Tebow in various situations with new wrinkles in a wildcat formation in order to bolster our ground game.

Now we have this, and you have to wonder that if it were any other reasonable back-up QB (I said reasonable, not a guy like Brunell) would most teams be benching their starter due to poor play?

So, I'd argue that contrary to what most non-Jets fans thought when we got Tebow, the fact that we have Tebow as our back-up actually makes it LESS likely Sanchez sits, and not more, because "the move to Tebow" has greater significance than it would otherwise.

11. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

The backup QB is everyone's favorite player.

12. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Even if they want to bench Mark, they do not want Tebow on the field. They can't go to McElroy and bypass Tebow either. This is a fucked up situation brought to you by our ignroant owner.

13. NotSatoshiNakamoto

"We are in the media business." - Woody Johnson

14. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I was always convinced, and still am, that Tebow was brought in here to put asses in seats, but if you are a regular attendee of games you'd notice a ton of empty seats.
    You have to believe its only going to get worse do to the fact that we're out of playoff contention( I mean, let's get real), especially a Thanksgiving game where people have to leave family and friends on a holiday to come watch the Pats, more then likely, hand us a total ass whipping.
    My confusion is, why wouldn't Woody go to Rex and tell him he has to start Tebow for the remainder of the season?
    I mean, that's the only way I see this team generating any media excitement, which we all know Woody craves.

I'm very curious to see what happens here.

15. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

I officially had it with Sanchez. It's that interception in the red zone yesterday. I get poor protection, poor run support, trying to make something out of nothing while down 2 TDs and fumbling... I get it, really. But that staring and Keller... he might have as well put a neon sign over his head "I will pass to Keller". 1st year rookie... even 2nd year -- no problem, I'm willing to overlook. The learning curve and all that.

It's 4th year for crying out loud! I'm sorry, but if by now you didn't learn that telegraphing passes is not acceptable, you're a fucking retard & you’ll never learn. That way a 14-pt swing play – that was the game right there. You cannot make this mistake; it’s simply not acceptable & not excusable. The only way Marky can remedy is go on a SB run starting from this 3-6 shipwreck (a la Giants of 5 yrs ago). Fat chance…

What gets me is the absence of a grand plan. What are they doing here? How about this: put Tebow in, showcase his and send to JAC for MJD. Then put Sanchez back in show everyone how he magically transformed into 2nd coming of Montana. Like “HA-HA, we just faked incompetence. Marky is great and now we got MJD too… SB here we come!!” Is that the grand plan?

What bothers me the most is that now the easier part of the schedule comes so whoever is our QB will show some sign of success. And before you know it it’s gonna be again … we’re winning, we were right to follow the strategy all along, no changes are needed. Perpetual carrot in front of us fans – always going for it, never reaching.

[​IMG]

16. Backup QB

Backup QB Active Member

I think it's less about how Tebow looks at practice, as opposed to how they would be perceived if they started him. Also, if he succeeds, people will backtrack and say they were fools for not starting him at the beginning of the season. Not only that, it would make them look weak for listening to the fans or media by starting Tebow.

Sticking with Sanchez is more about cover-your-ass than about winning games.

Then there is the Sanchez contract...

17. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

the real problem is that someone made the bad decision that mark sanchez was a starting caliber qb in this league. how they did that after the first few years is beyond me, but they did.

they really really thought this kid was going to be a good to great qb and they were terribly terribly wrong. it makes me wonder how i saw all of the issues that he had and they didnt. they are supposed to be professionals and they are supposed to know what they are doing. i can understand if you make a bad draft pick, but to make a bad pick and THEN stick with him even though he is blatantly not even an average qb is just a goddamn shame. i blame them all for it, from the dick bag owner down through the qb coach. every one of them is useless to me if only because they are so goddamn blind to the fact that the qb sucks and has sucked for just about ALL of his career.

18. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

Well if you look at it from the standpoint of someone who thought Sanchez was our future, then I think it is quite possible. I mean, if you're going to make a move, why not do it for someone who can help the team? Not saying Tebow can't, but the coaching staff has not utilized him to our advantage making him virtually useless. Now all we hear about is when Tebow may start, or how the coaching staff is not using him. That cannot be good for Mark's confidence and all it does is create a huge distraction plus his use has resulted in many miscommunications and wasted timeouts and penalties. His presence is doing much more harm to the franchise than good.

19. Backup QB

Backup QB Active Member

I believe that Sanchez is our future
    Teach him well and let him lead the way
    Show him all the beauty he possesses inside.

- Rex Ryan

20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Sanchez didn't collapse until after the midpoint last season. He was headed for a progression season even with all the talent dropouts around him until about the Washington game. maybe even the 4 TD pass Buffalo game. Then something happened and the flood gates opened and he collapsed.

After the first Buffalo game last year, at mid-season, Sanchez had a 58.3 completion percentage with 13 TD passes and 7 Int's. He was doing this averaging 35 drop backs a game. No babying there. Despite having no Mangold for a couple of games and a total rookie JAG at center for those games Sanchez was progressing.

Then the bottom just fell out. What caused the dropoff? No idea but by the end of the season I'd gone from thinking Sanchez was the franchise QB to thinking he was probably going to fail. I'll probably never figure out what exactly changed my perceptions that dramatically over a short period of time but my gloom last spring was real and unfortunately has translated over to reality this season.