A Little Rain on the Parade

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Wahoo, Sep 12, 2018.

1. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Right from the opening credits with that amazing music - I mean it's so unlike the music you usually got with war films. It's a really great movie.

2. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

seriously dude?

I could easily change the headline to:

Sam Darnold was great in his Jets debut, arrow pointing up

And then write the article accordingly.

This is a writer going counter to the stream to get clicks.

NCJetsfan and LF911SC like this.
  3. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

So we needed an article to tell us that one game doesnt make a career?

And a poster saw this and needed to run and share the doomsday reminder with fans?

Thanks, I never even thought that one game doesnt prove anything. Or that because of some bum who happened to pull a good game out of his ass I should ignore OTAs, cmap, preseason games and week one. Thanks for the heads up

4. LF911SC

This has to be the dumbest QB evaluation ever. But a writer for a Washington outlet is still pimping RGIII and comparing Darnold to a gimmick QB whos gimmick died out pretty quickly? Why does this assclown even care?

5. LF911SC

Or the whole world is praising his debut so I'll take a cautious view and if Darnold doesnt become what Romo says he'll be will back slap myself silly for being the only smart person in the room

6. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

What a useless article. One good game doesn’t guarantee a great career? No shit.

LF911SC likes this.
  7. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

My take. If Sam Darnold puts together 12 years of games exactly like that one he will be a first ballot HOF QB. That article was absurdly stupid. 2 for 3 when pressured. It's not as good as 3 for 3...

K'OB and FJF like this.
  8. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

I watch it every couple of months. Awesome film. Trivia - in the scene where the tank goes by a group of nuns walking on the road, the nuns are all men in drag, including a young John Landis

9. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

The author completely missed the boat on why ppl are praising Sam. It's not because he threw for 400 yards and 5 TDs in his maiden voyage. It's because he responded so well to huge adversity on his first ever pass attempt. Take away that devastating first pass, on the road, and his numbers were pedestrian. But you can't take that away. It was Sam's response to adversity that made him so special opening day.

I remember Sanchez going into the tank after making a big mistakes. His whole demeanor would change and he would press the rest of the game. But Sam's ability to take it in stride, laugh about it actually on the sidelines, then go back out and play good ball and keep his team looking forwards and focused is what makes Sam Sam.

Our team is not great and will be struck with adversity all year, weather it be our RB fumbling on the goal line, the other team returning a punt for a TD, whatever. It will be Sam's ability to keep his head on straight and the team focused in the face of these calamities that will make the difference.

Mogriffjr and Ptflea2 like this.
  10. LF911SC

Yup. And also the way he ignored the hype and pressure to play well and just went out and played well, leading his team to a win. That he had a QB rating of 116, competed over 75% of his passes was icing on the cake. He won, he didnt fold he passed his first test with flying colors

Footballgod214 likes this.
  11. Axel574

Axel574 Active Member

To you a hero is some kinda crazy sandwich.

12. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Some people are over reacting, sure. The article is silly because as Jets fans, we very well know that games like this are often followed up by disappointment. We know that one game is not an indicator of the season or of a rookie's career. We just have to take it one game at a time.

I have flashbacks of that 48-28 season opening Bills victory in 2012 and the team ended up with just 6 wins. Stephen Hill with 2 TDs, Kerley with a PR TD, Cro with a pick 6, Sanchez with 3 TDs, leading the league in a few QB categories, 2 other defensive turnovers. Things looked promising. Then reality came crashing down.

I'm cautiously optimistic right now, but I haven't ruled out that this is a fluke. I really hope not, but we've seen this show before.

#32 Sam Hammer, Sep 13, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    HomeoftheJets likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Not sure I see the connection between Kelly's Heroes and Full Metal Jacket, but maybe I've forgotten the plot of the latter. I just remember it being a very bloody, Vietnam pic, and not having a lot of humor like Kelly's heroes, but then I saw it right after it was released, and don't think I've seen it since, whereas I've seen Kelly's Heroes at least 5-6 times.

westiedog1 likes this.
  14. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I've seen Full Metal Jacket more than six times. It's one of my favorite war movies. The only similarity I can tell between Kelly's Heroes and Full Metal Jacket is that they are both set in wars, beyond that, no similarity that I can see.

15. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

That’s the life of the Jets fan. EXTREMELY cautious optimism, and with good reason. As for the article, here’s the stat that matters: 48-17, with 34 of those points put up buy the offense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

It’s not about cautious optimism, it’s that there is no evidence that this team, from past seasons, are capable of playing at this level over an entire season.

When the Patriots or Eagles win a game, the fan base has previous success that indicates that the game indicates continued success from year’s past.

When a 5-11 team wins their first game, you don’t have previous success to tie it to and believe it’s just more success.

Wahoo and Cman68 like this.
  17. joe

joe Well-Known Member

#37 joe, Sep 14, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    LF911SC likes this.
  18. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Any article or essay containing "fans should pump the breaks" should not and cannot be taken seriously.

19. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

And 7 of the other teams points as well!

20. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Exactly. If we want to go batshit crazy over one game, it doesn't hurt anybody but ourselves. We're not part of the damn team. We don't need to keep our feet on the ground if we don't want to.

It's just such a tired angle. Bloody hack journalists.

ColoradoContrails likes this.