A Jets Draft day Carol or the ghost of draft day pasts

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Biggs, Mar 21, 2018.

1. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

When I heard that the Jets traded down for the 3rd overall pick, I was totally stoked. This is a great QB draft class with 3 to possible 6 can’t miss franchise QB’s in it. It’s 1983 all over again when 3 teams in our division picked HOF QB’s one of them arguably the greatest QB in NFL history after we picked Ken Obrien. Thankfully, one of them, Elway thought what’s the point of being rich and famous if it’s in Indianapolis.

Of course after thinking about that my next thought was what could go wrong? SOJ to the core.

Even though we picked Kenny over Marino, Kenny didn't suck. It wasn't like we picked Blair Thomas over Emmitt Smith. Or we traded up to take Mark Sanchez when we should have traded all the way up for Stafford.

1978 one of my favorite players, Earl Campbell was the 1st overall pick. Little remembered is HOF WR James Lofton was picked at 6. We took Chris, holding penalty Ward at 4. 2003 the Jets traded up to No. 4 from No. 13 and took, drum roll please, Dwayne the Swiss army knife Robertson. There are 4 other notable early first round picks. CB Dee Millner, DE Vernon Gholston and my all-time favorite Johnny Lam Jones. Lam Jones is my all-time favorite because I so fully bought in. I remember in pre-season he took a little hitch over the middle and outran the entire D for a long TD. In fairness to Jones, he went second that year wedged between Billie Simms at 1 and Anthony Munoz 3. How could you argue against that pick?

This year we find ourselves in the delightful position of drafting No. 3. The last year the Giants picked second and we picked third the Jets got one of the great players in Jets history. UCLA’s own Freeman McNeal. I loved McNeal, he was a pleasure to watch and put together two of the greatest playoff game performances in our Jets history. The Giants happened to get Lawrence Taylor, the greatest offensive wrecking machine in modern football history.

The point of this thread not to rehash what could go wrong. Were all Jets fans we already know what could go wrong. The point of this thread is no matter how SOJ entrenched we are, this could be the year we actually get it right. This could be the year when we nail it. Emmit Smith, James Lofton, Munoz and Lawrence Taylor all wrapped up in one package. This is the year we draft a QB with the Dan Marino arm, Joe Montana cool, Rodger Staubach will, Fran Tarkenton guile and Tom Brady’s wife.

In parting I just want to say there’s a part of me that thinks we might be sorely tempted to draft Barkley if the Giants either take a QB or trade out. I don’t want him and it’s not because we need a QB, it’s because Blair Thomas went to Penn State…

NoodleArm, jaywayne12, CBG and 14 others like this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Great post!

The Cubs got it right. So did the Red Sox, the Astros and the Eagles. There's always a chance we get it right. Hope springs eternal.

With the exception of Tom Brady's wife, it sounds like your description of our dream QB is Baker Mayfield.

harts24, Brook! and NYJetsO12 like this.
  3. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Hahahah great Post!

I also believe this is an historic QB class too..I hope your optimism spreads among the Debbie Downers

4. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

If we take him, I'm hopeful he can outrun NY cities finest. Did he run at the combine?

101GangGreen101 and stinkyB like this.
  5. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Biggs

Great post. So nice to see your posts again. It is a pleasure to read your posts.

6. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Thank you! It's a great time to be a Jets fan. The team may get it right and if they do there is nothing like watching a great young QB develop into a legendary great player.

7. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

That’s what we all hope. I hope they get this right and end our misery.

8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

LOL Hopefully, I don't think he'll need to be outrunning NYC's finest, just opposing pass rushers.

I'm not sure if he ran at the Combine or not, but he probably did. I'll check it out. His Combine 40 time is 4.84 seconds. His 20-yard shuttle time was 4.28 seconds which was the best for QBs. His 3 cone drill time was 7.00 seconds. He had a 29 inch vertical jump and a 111.0 inch broad jump.

Josh Rosen's 40 time was 4.92 seconds and his 20-yard shuttle time was also 4.28 seconds, again best for QBs. He had a 7.09 time in the 3 cone drill. He had a 31.0 inch vertical jump and a 111.0 broad jump.

Josh Allen's 40 time was 4.75 seconds, the best for QBs. His vertical jump (33.5 inch), broad jump (119.0 inch), and 3 cone drill (6.90 seconds) were Combine bests for QBs. His 20-yard shuttle time was 4.40 seconds.

Sam Darnold's 40 time was 4.85 seconds and his 20-yard shuttle time was 4.40 seconds. Darnold had the best time in the 3 cone drill 6.96 seconds. He had a 26.5 inch vertical jump and 105.0 inch Broad Jump.

9. LV Coach

LV Coach Well-Known Member

I don't did a da.. about the cone time, vertical leap and most other stats. I want to know how smart he is and how quick can he pick up moving linebackers and blitzing safety's . How does he throw the side line route. Does he lead the receivers so they can keep going forward. Those are just some of the things I want in our next quarterback. Will the long ones be flat enough (and therefore short in in air time) for the deep routes.

10. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Baker Mayfield does all those things :)

11. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Another reason to be optimistic: we’re almost at the end of March and no-one has posted the Jets draft disasters YouTube video yet. It’s definitely our year.

stinkyB likes this.
  12. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

If he can stay more than 40 yards from a donut shop I'm in.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Chris "Holding Penalty" Ward. Haha, spit out my coffee.

14. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

And sometimes the hand of fate interferes like when Cincinnati drafts the LB, James Francis, that Jimmy Johnson desperately wants and the Cowboys end up settling for Emmitt Smith...

15. jetophile

Kyle Brady for the win!

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  16. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Nothing will get better until Bowles is gone.

NYJetsO12 and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  17. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Exactly, the Dolphins had to settle for Marino after we picked OBrien.

boozer32 likes this.
  18. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

Still so punchable ....

[​IMG]

19. jetophile

Like a fine wine, it gets better with age (no pun intended). Wasn't that kid's user name SowellTrain or something like that? Turns out Gary Vaynerchuk wasn't wrong. He's that kid's cousin or something. I remember jturd's thread, 'There he is again' or 'There he is', 'Oh, no it's HIM', something along those lines. We all destroyed him, he stopped showing up, and never posted anymore videos (not jturds, SowellTrain). Gary Vaynerchuk is grating and damn annoying, but he's an American success story and a die-hard who used to threaten to buy the Jets. That idea is not looking too bad right about now.

20. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I remember the commentary about the kid. Was this a reaction to the Sanchez pick?