A decade of first round picks

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsUK, Oct 28, 2018.

1. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

Just to add to the mood as we approach Halloween I was looking the other day at our performance in Rd 1 and over the last decade it really is not pretty:

2008 6 Vernon Gholston
    30 Dustin Keller
    2009 5 Mark Sanchez
    2010 29 Kyle Wilson
    2011 30 Muhammad Wilkerson
    2012 16 Quinton Coples
    2013 9 Dee Milliner
    13 Sheldon Richardson
    2014 18 Calvin Pryor
    2015 6 Leonard Williams
    2016 20 Darron Lee
    2017 6 Jamal Adams
    2018 3 Sam Darnold

So that is 13 first round picks since 2008 and how many would you say were good picks with hindsight?

I know that about 50% of first round picks fail to justify the pick but our performance must be about the worst in the NFL over this period. The difference in quality between our picks from 98 to 08 and from 08 to now is just staggering.

Also staggering is the balance - 10 picks on defense vs 3 on offense

2. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Just watching the Rams game and i cant help but notice how much energy there coach has..The guy was showing so much emotion ....Bowles never does that ever

Longsuffering88 likes this.
  3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Jury's still out on Williams, Lee, Adams, and Darnold. Though none of them have looked great (not being fair to Darnold, but the Jets aren't being fair to him either). None of other ones are still on the team, so that's pretty bad. Though Wilkerson and Richardson made the Pro Bowl, which is more than any of the current guys have done. So since it's Halloween season:

[​IMG]

FJF likes this.
  4. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Eh doesn't it show it's going in the right direction?

From 2008 til 2014, I believe only 2 guys remain in the NFL. That's brutal, and part of the reason why this team lacks talent. The draft has gotten a tad better but there's tons of work to do.

wewantsapp likes this.
  5. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Also impossible to imagine a Jets player doing what Gurley just did, intentionally going down at the 5 and thus ending the game instead of scoring the TD and going up 8. Great awareness.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  6. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Imagine if that was Crowell? :eek:

7. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I agree - the recent drafts have not been as bad as those in the first half of this sample - but that is damning with faint praise

8. jetstopgun

jetstopgun Well-Known Member

Agreed think about it ...the last offensive player before last year was Mark Sanchez now you know that’s a damn shame, we can’t put that all on our GM..... But he has to be on noticed with our cap space he has to fix these problems ..... if not he’s done here!!! And take Bowles with you!!!! Because of Sam This job has become desirable

mrjet80 and CotcheryFan like this.
  9. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

It's just frustrating to see other teams have at least one playmaker on offense who strikes fear in opposing defenses while we have none.

10. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

We haven't done too poorly in the first round in recent years. Lee, Adams and Williams aren't superstars but they're all legitimate starters and provide a good foundation at each level of the defense. Darnold needs more NFL caliber players to work with before determining anything. The real failing has been in rounds 2-4. Maye, Jenkins and hopefully Herndon are the only guys worth mentioning in that range, the rest are invisible or off the roster entirely. When you have 3rd and 4th round WRs who can't even make it to their second season with the team it's no wonder you have Darnold throwing to guys like Roberts and Burnett today. We just don't draft well enough.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  11. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

We need Leveon Bell ....Mac needs to make that the top priority this off season.We do that and sign some real WRs and add to the O line we will be legit contenders next year

Watkin and boozer32 like this.
  12. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

7 out of the 13 didn't (aren't) playing a down in the league this year. That is telling.

wewantsapp likes this.
  13. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I could go along with that but no more than a three year deal and I’m not very confident Bell would go for that.

More than likely the Jets will need to uncover a nice gem in the third or fourth round to pair with McQuire and Cannon. Crowell is a FA as well and I’m not sure what he will be asking but he is more of a tough yardage guy than an every down guy for me ....

14. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Si'

Or a reasonable facsimile. Gotta get a stud back there.

15. Stevied

Stevied Well-Known Member

The best quote I ever saw on this board was,” Pryor is well on his way toward being a Milliner level bust.” Glad someone made this thread as I was thinking about that quote yesterday.

I really don’t know what it is here as we’ve had different people entirely making the pics and doing the research up to it.

Mac’s guys are so far better, but not great- I ain’t no Lee fan and I get really pissed off every time I read anything about Leo. Too bad they didn’t play today, otherwise we could have won!

Oh wait, they did play, sorry I don’t know how I possibly missed that. Those 2 clowns are serviceable, but given their draft status, underachievers. We didn’t need to take them in rd1 to get this production. I hope they are paid for what they are-ok- this offseason. Adams doesn’t make enough plays in the passing game, but everything else I like and can live with.

PS I’n watching the Vikings game and our favorite,”Son of Anarchy” ain’t doing nothing.. Remember when that line was supposed to be unstoppable and Richardson claimed he deserved “Watt $”? What a joke

16. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

The failure of first round picks is not entirely on the GM. These guys never had coaches who knew how to develop rookies and use their players properly.

boozer32 likes this.
  17. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I know he has issues but I would love to see us bring Sheldon back next year.

18. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Offense wins Championships

And these picks prove it

19. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Shell is Macs best late round pick.

20. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Does Belichick?

Emotion = wins now?