A crazy and way to early draft scenerio

Discussion in 'Draft' started by GasedAndConfused, Mar 6, 2018.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I'll do a proper mock after free agency however I thought this could be an interesting take on the draft

1) browns - (barkley) The browns know they can get a QB with the 4 pick, but you know who won't be there at 4? the best offensive player in the draft, and what better way to help a young QB then with a solid run game. as we seen last year the browns took the BPA 1st overall over a QB and I say they do it again and select Barkely

2) giants - (Nelson) The giants don't need a QB right now, eli is their guy for 2018 and maybe even 2019. They also have a new head coach and I could see them making a run at Teddy B since him and schurmer have history and teddy is still young. The giants new head coach will be looking for a quick 1 year turnaround and the bets way to do it is to improve for now, not the future. the giants will have other years to draft a QB. with barkely off the board the giants will elect to help eli by drafting the best lineman in the draft. They know they can get a RB in round 2 for the run game (nick chubb) it's a deep class. They also get marshall and ODB back off injury. with those 2 back, an improved o-line and a real RB in chubb, the giants offense will be much improved

3) Broncos - (rosen) - The colts have the 3 pick, but with no need of a QB and knowing that denver and cleveland both need a QB they can easily slide back to 5, gain an extra pick, and not lose out on anyone they want. The broncos go aggressive to get their guy and I think elway will love rosen.

4) Browns - (mayfield) - with rosen off the board, the brows still get their choice of mayfield, allen, and darnold. many will think darnold is the pick but cleveland has a history of making poor QB draft choices. Theyw ill fall in love with mayfield during the combine and take him over the rest despite his lack of talent

5) Colts - (Bradley Chubb) - with the first 4 picks being offense, the colts land in prime position to take the best pass rusher in the draft at 5. They need to improve that defense and chubb is a great start

6) Bills - (darnold) - The jets pick at 6 and only 2 of the top 5 QBs are gone, everyone on draft day is expecting the jets to take their new QB, however the jets don't. the bills aren't in love with taylor and want to make a splash to get a new QB. they trade the jets their 2 1st rounders (21 and 22 overall) and a 6th round pick to move up to 6th and take danold. jet fans boo because it wouldn't' be a draft without jet fans booing.

No other QB is taken until 15 where the cardinals select Josh Allen

Jets are on the clock with the 21 and 22 picks back to back now. at 21 the jets select the best LT in the draft Mike McGlinchy at 22 the jets finally select their QB Lamaar Jackson

with 2 2nd rounders the jets get Isiah Wynn (Center) and St Brown (WR)

so in the top 2 rounds the jets add
    QB jackson
    LT McGlincy
    C Wynn
    WR St. Brown

An offense heavy draft that gives us our FQB, improves the 2 most important positions on the o-line (think back to the mangold/brick draft) and a young big WR for depth with starter potential. we could grab possibly CB hughes instead of St brown for a little defense as we need depth at CB badly as well

westiedog1 likes this.
  2. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

Yeaaaaaaa Jets aren't trading their picks to anyone in the division. Thats out.

Burnz, boozer32, AlexJETS and 5 others like this.
  3. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

This would be the worst Jets draft in history. Not only passing on an elite QB talent in Darnold, they just hand him to our division rival and watch him dominant the division for the 10 years after Brady retires.. No Bueno.. Thankfully I don’t have too much concern of something like this becoming reality.

Also Baker has a ton of talent, you don’t become a top 10 pick without talent.

4. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I respect the outside the box thinking, but I don't agree with it. If Darnold is there at 6 and Rosen and Mayfield have been taken, it should take no more than 5 seconds for the Jets to select Darnold. However, I would sign McCown or another cheap vet to make Darnold earn the starting QB job. He still has some flaws that will prevent him from starting on day 1. Not having to trade up would also help us save the 2 2nd round picks to improve the OL and offensive skill position such as RB.

5. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

First & foremost, the Giants won't take Nelson at #2. Chubb or Barkley maybe, else they take a QB or trade down. If this is to playout as you want it to, the Broncos swap with the Giants & land their QB, Giants take Nelson at 5.

Finally, the Jets won't gift a division rival a potential franchise QB. If you want to speculate that they trade with Arizona, sure. No chance they deal with the Bills, and it's unlikely, unless we signed Cousins that we pass on Darnold or Rosen. Hell, even if we sign Cousins, I wouldn't blink if we drafted Darnold/Rosen if they slip to #6. You can always fetch a haul for a franchise QB.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  6. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

Don't be so sure of the Giants not taking Nelson at #2. If they think Eli is still their guy for another 2-3 years, getting Nelson who is a sure thing and will be a Pro Bowler for years to come, helps tremendously. That line is horrendous. You draft Barkley at #2 and where is he going to run? Nowhere with that line.

Red Menace and GasedAndConfused like this.
  7. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Also, can't see any team selecting a G at 2. I don't care how good he is, the position is probably the least impactful of any on a team. If there was an OT with the same kudos as Nelson gets, I could see that possibility. I think if you're a team with a high draft pick, you have to get a player who's going to have a major impact on your team, either O or D.

Nevertheless, that is a clever scenario you worked out. There are some questions about Jackson's ability to start at QB day 1, but if the Jets do draft him, he's going to be a blast to watch. Undoubtedly, will be the most entertaining QB of all of them.

8. GasedAndConfused

tell that to vernon gholston or blair thomas or jamarcus russel, i'm sure you don't want the full list. he also hasn't become a top 10 pick yet
    never say never
    don't fall in love with the player, play the draft game. having that extra pick to land a franchise LT is huge

in this case barkely is gone so not an option. they won't take chubb, they have JPP and vernon on big contracts. Eli is their guy for 2017 with not many years left, the best way to keep eli happy and improve the offense is to sure up the o-line. the giants o-line was terrible, passing up the best lineman in the draft who should be a top 5 or 6 pick would be bad unless they decide to take a QB. gettleman their new GM is known for reaching too. remember when he drafted funchess in the 2nd when many had him as a 5th or 6th rounder? taking mccaffrey 7th overall? don't put it past gettleman to take whoever he wants whenever he wants

9. GasedAndConfused

he doens't need to start day 1, there is mccown, there is teddy b, there is keenum, there is cousins. no problem in taking a QB and letting him sit a year if need be. mahomes did, trubisky pretty much did.

as far as nelson at 2, look at the giants new GMs draft history

westiedog1 likes this.
  10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If Darnold drops to 6 and the Jets don't want him I could see the Chargers overpaying to move up for him. They have Rivers for another year or two and Darnold could adapt to the NFL with no pressure. The Chargers are really going to want a local hero to compete with Goff and the Rams over the long-term.

The Jets might get the #17, #48 and next year's 1st in that scenario. It's not just a franchise QB on the #6 it's a FQB from USC, born and raised in Southern Cal and who has the surfer thing going for him.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  11. GasedAndConfused

could be an option as well for sure

12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I always like "outside the box" thinking, so kudos for that. And I agree that the Browns will take Barkley at 1. And I agree the giants will look to take Nelson, but I think they can trade back a few spots and still get him while adding draft capital. You lost me at the Jets trading with the Bills, not only giving up their own chance at a FQB, but letting the Bills have him. The fan outrage might cause Macc to fired on the spot - and he should be if he does this.

I know you love Jackson, and he has a shot to be something special...with the right CS and system, neither of which the Jets currently have. I would only be on board with the Jets trading back if it's not with a division rival, and they've already signed a FA QB. In that case, assuming the FA was not Cousins and they still need a FQB, say Bridgewater is signed, then trading back and taking Jackson would make sense.

13. GasedAndConfused

I get your point for sure, and i mostly agree and i say mostly because the whole jets can't develop a QB thing doens't make much sense to me it's too "SOJ" for my liking. If that's how you really felt, then we shouldn't draft any QB ever and just sign cousins. All the prospects have things they need to fix to be good in the NFL. As far as trading with the bills, if the jets feel jackson is the best prospect why not trade back and get him still and the bills are the only team with 2 1st rounders this year for faster improvement. While it's rare, no GM would "cut off his nose to spite his face" especially over a draft pick.

14. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Something to consider. If Barkley goes one overall. I can see both Giants and Colts trading their picks to QB needy teams.

Then the Browns at 4 would get a QB they might not even want.

Take the QB first, pick whichever QB you like best. Cleveland has been trash for decades. They need a QB.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Love the effort! Really like the bold prediction as well!

However, there is 0 chance of that happening. Bills won’t trade with us and Lamar Jackson doesn’t fit a Shanahan style offence that we expect Bates to run.

16. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

After due consideration, maybe a similar scenario isn’t as crazy. Let’s posit that the draft goes like this:

1. Browns pick Darnold (USC)
    2. Giants pick Rosen (UCLA)
    3. Colts pick Barkley (PSU)
    4. Browns pick Chubb (NCST)
    5. Broncos pick Mayfield (OU)
    6. Ravens pick Josh Allen (WYO)

In exchange for the 6 overall (1600pts), the Jets would get the Ravens' 2018 first round pick, 16 overall (1000pts), their 2018 third round pick, 84 overall (175pts), and the Ravens' 2019 first round pick.

It makes sense for the Ravens because Flacco is not-elite and they can move on in 2019. It makes sense for the Jets because their top three QB prospects are off the board. They can stockpile assets to make the move up for a QB next year, while getting an additional top-100 pick this year.

The rest of your scenario can play out fairly similarly (i.e., the Jets picking Jackson etc.).

17. AlexJETS

AlexJETS Well-Known Member

Dude I stop reading when you got to the Jets trading with the Bills zero chance that ever happens.

NCJetsfan, boozer32 and abc like this.
  18. AlexJETS

AlexJETS Well-Known Member

I have Darnold as the best Quarterback in this draft but funny things always happen on draft day. It wouldn't surprise me if Darnold drops to us at #6

19. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

20. abc

abc Well-Known Member

I would NOT be on board with this... NO THX... next!!! :/

#20 abc, Mar 8, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    NCJetsfan and boozer32 like this.