6th Pick

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JetsfanHBca, Mar 25, 2017.

?

As Jets the GM who do you take at 6? Other than Garret anyone could fall

1. J Adams SS/DB

17 vote(s)
    22.1%
  2. J Allen DE/DT or S.Thomas DE (Sorry limited slots & neither a position of need)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. R Foster ILB

3 vote(s)
    3.9%
  4. L Fournette RB

12 vote(s)
    15.6%
  5. M. Hooker FS

7 vote(s)
    9.1%
  6. OJ Howard TE (Alabama Juice)

20 vote(s)
    26.0%
  7. M Lattimore CB

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. QB (List below who)

6 vote(s)
    7.8%
  9. Trade Back (List below how far & what you would exspect to get

12 vote(s)
    15.6%
  10. Other Player (List below who)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Now we are 100% in agreement with that go UNC.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  2. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I would be happier with Howard over Hooker and Lattimore. It just makes more sense because the defense won't be stopping anyone this year because Bowles and Rodgers are still there. At least the offense might have a chance with the Quarterback Whisperer, Hack, Petty. I don't think we will go QB at 6 either because I don't think any of them are elite but some will have nice careers.

3. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Most TE's coming out of college can't block. It's a skill that they have to learn in the pros. Of course, I'm talking about those TE's who can catch. I'm sure there are TE's on the college level who can block, but those don't get drafted very high, if at all. Very rare to have one who can do both, but I think O.J. Howard meets that standard. Haven't heard of any others who do.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't know if your first statement is accurate or not, but it sure seems to be these days. The problem with a lot of those receiving TEs is that they are soft mentally, and never really learn to block because the desire isn't there and their CSs don't make them as long as they're good receiving options. They block like Richie Anderson used...they just get in the way momentarily.

Leggett from Clemson meets that standard, albeit not as well as Howard. So do Butts, Kittle, Sprinkle, and Price, and there are probably others.

5. westiedog1

I would imagine it's easier to teach a TE how to block than how to run a 4.6 40 and catch a football. These days, with the emphasis on passing, coaches are looking for guys who can create mismatches in the defensive backfield a la Gates, Graham, Gronkowski and that crowd. You may not like it, but that's the trend.

6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

By the time they get to be draft material, if they can't catch, or they can't block, I don't think you can do much to add that skill to their skill set. Maybe you can improve these areas, but probably not enough to make a big difference. I think if you want a TE who can catch and block, draft one who can do both well.

Leicester Jet and NCJetsfan like this.
  7. westiedog1

I think blocking is a skill a player can learn if they set their mind to it. Running backs have the same issue. Most can't block coming out of college, but it's a "must" skill in the pros.

8. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

If Watson is there he'll be the next Jets quarterback.

9. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

With there being several impact players in the top 10 and say someone such as a Solomon Thomas or Marshon Lattimore drop to 6 there may be some teams willing to move up to get them even if it's just a few picks up I could see Mac taking it to acquire picks. I have no doubt that they are doing there best to trade down.

10. GWjet

GWjet Well-Known Member

If you're trying to develop a young QB you need to give him 3 things. A running game , weapons , and time to throw the ball.

IMO we will have a good running game with Powel and Forte, I am a little worried about the pass blocking and we cut our best weapon. OJ is a big fast weapon who hasn't even scratched the surface of his ability due to the system they played at Alabama

I'm all in on OJ

Leicester Jet and FJF like this.
  11. NCJetsfan

The italicized part is the key component. Lots of players are mentally soft. They want to be the stars, to have the fun part, the flashy part to pad their stats, but don't want to do the dirty work or have to work any harder than they have to.

I wonder how many guys in the NFL actually love the game? I have a gut feeling that more and more of them are just playing it for the money, fame, and lifestyle, and don't really care about being the "best" or the game itself.

12. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

I agree and hate to say it but that is a department the Patriots excel in avoiding. The players they draft are team players high motors who give 100% every minute. If I have to give them credit that's where it goes.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  13. NCJetsfan

I would quickly add that you need an OC and QB Coach who know what they're doing, i.e., how to design the offense and plays around what the QB can do well, and hide what he doesn't do well, and fix any flaws in his game.

I disagree that we will have a good running game with Powell and Forte. Powell's a great RB to have, but he's not a starter or workhorse type back. He will quickly wear down and lose effectiveness. Forte doesn't have much tread left on his tires or speed, either. He is more injury prone. IMO if the Jets think they can go into the season with just those two at RB, they're absolutely nuts and deserve to be fired. IMO the Jets need a starting-quality RB, or at least a power back if they're going to go with a rotation at the RB position.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

I agree. I think the Jets try to draft players who need motivating, but who may be more talented than some of the Pats players, and the Jets HCs/GMs figure that they can motivate those guys or that their talent will be enough to overcome taking some plays off.

ColoradoContrails and nicg4360 like this.
  15. ColoradoContrails

What I'm trying to say is that if a TE can catch, but hasn't been a blocking TE, you could teach him to block to some degree, but he probably won't be very good it, maybe adequate. But if a TE was a blocking TE, it would be much harder I think to teach him to become a pass catching threat. I could be wrong, but I haven't seen guys who haven't been good receivers become one.

So, if you want a good two-way TE, you need to draft one who can do both well.

16. ColoradoContrails

You took the words right out of my mouth. Good post.

17. westiedog1

And what I'm trying to say is that any kid in college playing the position of TE knows he isn't going to get noticed (by the scouts) for his blocking. I'm also trying to say, in today's NFL, the trend is big fast TE's who can catch and create defensive mismatches. I think most NFL coaches would rather have one of those who's not such a good blocker than a TE who can block, is slow and can't catch.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  18. ColoradoContrails

I agree.

westiedog1 likes this.
  19. westiedog1

Finally! Someone agrees with me!

20. NCJetsfan

I agree with how you think college kids look at the position and the NFL as well, but that said, I don't think being a great blocker and great receiver are mutually exclusive, nor do I think that because one is a good or great blocker means that a TE is slow and can't catch.

I also think it depends upon a team's individual needs. Some teams have great OLs, so it doesn't matter whether the TE can block or not. Other teams have great WR corps and a RB who is an excellent receiver, so it doesn't matter if the TE is that great of a receiver.

IMO the Jets need one who can do both, as both their OL and their receiving corps need help, and with a young QB starting, they need one who can do both to make their offense the most effective, least limited and least predictable.

westiedog1 likes this.