6th Pick

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JetsfanHBca, Mar 25, 2017.

?

As Jets the GM who do you take at 6? Other than Garret anyone could fall

1. J Adams SS/DB

17 vote(s)
    22.1%
  2. J Allen DE/DT or S.Thomas DE (Sorry limited slots & neither a position of need)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. R Foster ILB

3 vote(s)
    3.9%
  4. L Fournette RB

12 vote(s)
    15.6%
  5. M. Hooker FS

7 vote(s)
    9.1%
  6. OJ Howard TE (Alabama Juice)

20 vote(s)
    26.0%
  7. M Lattimore CB

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. QB (List below who)

6 vote(s)
    7.8%
  9. Trade Back (List below how far & what you would exspect to get

12 vote(s)
    15.6%
  10. Other Player (List below who)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I voted to take QB - Mahomes - at #6, but wouldn't be averse to doing what Big Cat said: trade back to 12 with Cleveland and take Mahomes there and also get an extra quality pick.

If Mahomes was gone by #6, and Howard or Fournette were still there. I would have to decide which one to take, but would take one of them.

If I got the 12 pick and Mahomes were taken before me, I would want Howard or Fournette still but think they'll both be gone, so I would look at Cook or McCaffrey at 12, then look for Webb or Peterman later on.

2. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

No disrespect, I've studying College players and the NFL draft for over 2 decades and drafting Mahomes at #6 would be one of the worst decisions by the Jets or any team in the history of the NFL draft process.

At best, Mahomes is about the 35th best prospect in this draft.

I have 3 QBs rated higher than Mahomes.....D. W., M.T. & Davis W.

I guarantee Mac isn't reaching for Mahomes at #6.

3. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Trade back no lower than 12 with Browns and pick the BPA

4. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Colorado goes apeshit for Mahomes. The earliest he should go is the first pick in the 2nd round. That could even be considered a reach. He plays in a Geno style offense and has a cannon. That is about it... you do not spend a top 10 pick on that.

5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

1. Foster
    2. Hooker
    3. OJ Howard
    4. Adams

Best options at 6. Not even entertaining a trade down.

6. 101GangGreen101

As many have pointed out you don't draft for next year you draft for the long term.

Mahomes love is overrated as they come. Better off seeing if Colt Brennan still wants to play NFL football.

FJF likes this.
  7. njjets93

njjets93 Active Member

WW85 I respectfully disagree on Mahomes. I have been watching college football for almost 5 decades and I see Mahomes as a future star in the league.. He has the best arm in the draft, he is athletic enough to survive when flushed from pocket, he makes throws from all angles, he is smart and wants to learn. He is somewhat raw but the talent is there. You can't teach the talent he already possesses.

Watson has a suspect arm. Webb transferred from Tech because he couldn't beat out Mahomes for the job. Webb just couldn't make the throws Mahomes could.. he also lacked the elusiveness that enabled Mahomes to get off throws instead of taking a sack. Mayfield also transferred from Tech because he couldn't beat out Mahomes. If Mahomes had played on Clemson or ND he would probably be ranked and picked #2 after Garrett.

Mahomes pro day is March 31st, and he has at least 13 private workouts set up already. So there is a ton of interest. I don't know if the Jets have a private set up yet. I hope we don't always look back and regret not taking him like some people still do when talking about Dan Marino and Brett Favre.

boozer32 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  8. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

We can agree to disagree. I don't need to give you my resume, but I can say I study College Footballs as close as anyone on this site, it's my passion. I never said Mahomes was an awful player. I said he's not worth the #6th pick in the draft, it is very clear there will be six better players on the board when the Jets are OTC.

There should be a " ton of interest" on Mahomes, he has potential, it doesn't mean he's worthy of a top 6 pick.

Mahomes has a great arm, his mechanics,throwing motion and footwork need to improve. He's a developmental QB, someone not ready to start, and we have 2 on our roster from the last 2 drafts.

9. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

My gut is telling me the jets will NOT have an opportunity in round one to fall back a few spots so they will likely exercise their pick at 6. I dont think its a QB and i also dont think its going to be howard....

Do think it will be the safety or LB at 6.

Not sure i totally agree (as i am sold on OJ even at 6) but no doubt the pick will be a starter from day one and hopefully becomes all pro material.

10. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

Mahomes will go off where p. Lynch went off last year - 20 or so.

11. ColoradoContrails

No disrespect taken. And I agree that Macc won't take Mahomes at #6, I'm just stating what I would do.

And I'm not going to challenge your credentials, but I will point out that plenty of guys who have as much or more experience, and who are paid to do this make major mistakes. I'm also not going claim expertise that I don't possess. I'm just a fan of 56 years who has seen a lot. I could be way off on my judgment, and that's okay,,,this IS an opinion board, right?

I can be persuaded that the smart thing to do is to grab someone like Howard or Fournette, and maybe take a QB in the later rounds. That's certainly more conventional and safer. But unless you get the #1 pick, AND its in a year where there's a slam dunk QB, AND he actually lives up to the hype - need I underscore how all of these factors are NOT guaranteed by themselves. let alone combining into a trifecta - your only other option in trying to find a FQB is to gamble. So on that basis, and given that a FQB is the key piece of any championship team, IMO it's worth the risk if they feel Mahomes (or Watson, or Kizer, but NOT Kubisky) has that potential.

And of course there's no guarantee that any of the QBs avaialble in 2018 will actually live up to their current "savior" billing, nor that the Jets will land a pick high enough to draft one, so unless they're sure that Petty or Hack are their FQB, they'd better be seriously considering taking one this year.

westiedog1 and njjets93 like this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

On his worst day Mahomes beats Geno - admittedly a low bar - in every way. While he will need some time to adapt to the pro-style of play, his physical abilities are beyond anyone else. The comparisons to Favre and Elway are legit, and if you wouldn't take one of them with your first pick, you're crazy. Look what actually DID happen to the Jets and Favre - they loved him, but didn't bite and tried to trade up for him but lost out.

Talent like Mahomes is worth the risk IMO.

westiedog1 and njjets93 like this.
  13. ColoradoContrails

If I owned the Jets, I would drop those two and take Mahomes in a second.

njjets93 likes this.
  14. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I think the similarity is the same as when Russell Wilson came out. Except I think this guy is further along than Wilson. Interesting to see how it turns out. I know the Jets will never pick Mahomes and that has been our problem.

15. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I disliked the Hack pick in Rd 2 as much as anyone, but I willing to wait and see how he performs when given the opportunity. I hope I'm wrong about Hack and he plays like he did his 1st year in College. I'm not ready to give up on him until he's given the opportunity.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. 101GangGreen101

The knock on Wilson was his size that's it. Wilson far more polished, ran the pro style offense in college. Mahomes is light years behind in comparison.

RochesterJet likes this.
  17. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

When it comes to college QBs, I like the rule of only drafting QBs with a good accuracy rating. On that front, we shouldn't have drafted Hackenberg. This year, that same concept can be applied to Kizer. He's too inaccurate: pass.

Watson, Trubisky, and Mahomes all have the right completion percentage but all have red flags of their own.

Watson: arm strength and interceptions. Personally I think the arm strength concern is overrated, he can make the throws. The interceptions however are very worrying.

Trubisky: Inexperience. This guy was taking calls from the sideline every play. I think he'll be a great fit with the right team and that team isn't the Jets.

Mahomes: College offense. We've been down this road with Geno Smith. Definitely not the be all end all but it's scary.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

18. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

No reason to take a QB this year. Next year we will get one

19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You have it totally backwards. It's as 101GangGreen101 says. I think I've finally figured you out. It's not your fault you see everything hte opposite as it should be. You must live in a bizarro world like in the old superman comics where everything is backwards. You seem like a really good guy, however, so here's hoping you can escape the bizarro world and join ours! ;) :p:cool:

BomberJet and boozer32 like this.
  20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't think we can trade down far, and perhaps not at all, and get Howard. I really, really like his potential, and normally would prefer that we draft an offensive player in the first round, but not this time. Don't get me wrong, I'd be quite happy with Howard or Fournette, but due primarily to his leadership abilities as well as his production, athleticism, flexibility and character, I want the Jets to take Adams. This team needs leaders. I think with Adams in the lineup, our D stops underperforming and performs as expected.

I'd also be happy with Hooker or Foster.

I really like Mahomes potential, but just don't see him as a legit 1st round prospect or being drafted in the 1st round unless NFL scouts value him a great deal more than the media "experts." I'd be happy taking him in the 2nd round, but this board would explode if Mac took another project QB in the 2nd round.

boozer32 likes this.