6 Mets selected to All Star team

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by NYJetFan37, Jul 2, 2006.

1. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

I'll give you one very simple reason that Mussina is more deserving than Liriano: because Liriano was only being pitched for 5 or 6 innings maximum per start for a long time this season. Only now does he have the arm strength to go 8 or 9 innings. Mussina has been carrying the Yankees staff.

Verlander deserves to be on the team over Guillen's boy Buerhle, but you can't legitimately expect him to pass over his own player for a division rival. In the same vein I can't blame him for snubbing Mussina but I can blame the MLB for not putting him on the ballot for the last roster addition. Either one of those two could easily replace Kenny Rogers or Barry Zito btw.

The simple way to solve this problem is to open up pitching to fan voting, increase the roster size or get rid of the "every team gets an all-star" rule.

2. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

At least Guillen is not as bad as Torre. I think it was 2001 when Torre added every possible Yankee to the team including men's attendant Hector Gonzalez.

3. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Liriano and Mussina deserve it over Rogers and Buerhle. And the fact that Mark Redman has to steal an all star spot from one of these guys is a disgrace.

4. deviljets7

deviljets7 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

if the sig says he's an all-star he's clearly deserving of one :)

5. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

They need to get rid of that "every team must be represented" rule. Liriano and Mussina should be on the roster over Buehrle and Redman. Giambi should also have made it over Konerko, but the gap between the two isn't large enough for me to really scream at Guillen for playing favorites (also because of Torre's history of playing favorites.)

6. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Thank you. I was 50% serious and 50% joking when I requested it. I left it up to you whether or not you wanted to make it and since you did I will use it.

7. deviljets7

I figured you were joking, but Exit also requested Redman so at that point I made it.

8. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

I agree, like I said above I can't blame Guillen for choosing his ace over his division rival's. If I were the manager I'd choose my friend to be an all-star instead of my enemy as well.

So they should take it out of the manager's hands and let half of the pitchers be chosen by the fans and half (the "reserves") chosen by the skipper.

9. jetfaninwisconsin

its a shame the NL gave turnbow a spot, he just isnt what he was last year. they should take d-bow out and put chris capuano in. he has been holding this injured staff together. just wait till the brew crew gets ben sheets and tomo ohka back, we'll be in good shape then. with all the injuries and bad luck the brewers have had this year, we're still only 3.5 outta the wild card and 5 out of the divison. with those 2 coming back soon, things could get very interesting........

10. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

Capuano didn't make the team?

11. jetfaninwisconsin

no, hes in the last 5 voting, but that will go to nomar, or wagner

12. jetfaninwisconsin

BTW, i saw your b-day was april 3, 1989 in that b-day thread....mine is april 3, 1987....just found that interesting

13. Pride

Pride New Member

can I get a jeter all star sig?

14. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

The issue I have with the All Star game is that the wrong Royal go selected. I think it should have been Mark Grudzelanick. He is having a nice season and is yet to make an error playing a tough position. Robbie Cano had no business being named to the team and I'm glad he isn't playing. hink if Guillen takes Grudz over Redmin than Liriano is on the team and Hafner would make the team which he isn't going to do because Liriano is going to get voted on.

And for you Yankee fans that are crying that Mussina deserves on over Liriano beacuse of innings pitched... puhleaze. Are there any yuong pitchers that pitch more than 6 or 7 innings? The Phillies took Cole Hamels out after 2 innings today because of an hour rain delay.

15. deviljets7