3 Up & 3 Down From Last Nights Game

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ChrisJetLife, Aug 17, 2018.

1. ChrisJetLife

ChrisJetLife Member

Last night the Jets fell to the Redskins 15-13 on a game winning field goal with time expiring. The Jets drop to (1-1) this preseason and will be taking on cross town rivals, the New York Giants, next Friday night.

Here are a few studs and duds from last nights game:

Studs:

The QB Room

It may not look like much from the 13 points on the scoreboard, but the Jets finally have a problem that’s a good one for the team. Who in the world do we start at Quarterback? Both Sam and Teddy made some really nice throws last night, looking comfortable in and out of the pocket. Offensive line play proved to be an issue the entire game but look to see them both get the majority of reps the next two games to decide who will be the Week 1 starter.

Charone Peake

Last night Charone made an incredible catch in the end zone to cut the Redskins lead in the fourth quarter. He finished the game with 2 receptions and 29 yards. A late round draft pick a few years back is trying to prove he belongs in this crowded wide receiver room.

Taylor Bertolet

With Cairo Santos out with an injury, Taylor has taken full advantage of his opportunity with the Green & White. Hitting two field goals as well his extra point conversion, look to see if there may be some competition brewing at the Kicking spot.

Duds:

Offensive Line

Down two starters, the offensive line was really shaky the entire night. Allowing 4 sacks on the night proved to most of us our most glaring issue. I understand two starters were not playing but if for some reason we needed Qvale or Harrison to step up, it did not look like they were ready for the task. A major concern going into the season, but with 3 weeks left look to see if the Jets find ways to improve the position.

Defensive Line

Besides Leonard Williams and a few flashes from Jordan Jenkins, the Jets are not a good team when it comes to getting to the Quarterback. Without a pass rush, our secondary will be covering for longer amounts of time in which eventually someone will be open. Last night in one drive it looked like Alex Smith had well over 4 seconds to scan the field and find the open man, aother glaring issue on the team. I think there’s a guy named Khalil Mack on the Raiders who isn’t really happy with his team. Maybe he can help...

Robby Anderson

I am really hoping to see Robby break out this year and become that true number 1 receiver a lot of people have hoped he could be. The one catch for 4 yards he did have last night upset me as a fan because it was on a 3rd and 5 play and he ran the route short, ultimately leading to a 4th down. Of course the drive ended the play after with Sam Darnold throwing into traffics, leading to the tipped interception. This is his 3rd year in the league and knowing where the markers are is super important when it comes to route running. Look to see him get plenty more opportunities in next weeks game.

2. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Can't argue with your points... we definitely have a lot of work to do on both sides of the ball.
    O-line is a HUGE need, even with all our starters playing .

3. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

name one single impact play that Charone Peake made in a regular season game that made you want to sign him long term.

Jets69 likes this.
  4. ChrisJetLife

ChrisJetLife Member

Not the point tbh, just 3 ups from the game. Hence why I mentioned him making that catch didn’t hurt his slim catches to make the team. Still probably a cut at the end of training camp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Qvale was a big dud. I'm really beginning to think the Jets need find a way to bring in some help on the line, even if just for depth. If somebody on the oline goes down during the season, they are in huge trouble. Luckily we have 2 QBs that are pretty good at escaping the pocket, but they are going to take a lot of hits, and that can ruin QBs. Next year's off season needs to be all about pass rush and oline.