3-4 sucks

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jetsman5137, Oct 8, 2006.

1. Jetsman5137

Jetsman5137 New Member

3-4 sucks (for the Jets)

I have said this since week 1, it is just retarded to change our 4-3 system. Vilma is no longer a dominant player on the defense because of this. I wouldn't be suprized if he wanted to leave the team because we all know he plays better in the 3-4. I'm not blasting Mangini per se, he has done alot with a bad offense. I blame his persistance to play a system that doesnt fit the Jets style. Moreover, there was nothing wrong with the defense in previous years and many Ganggreeners agreed in the offseason that it was possible for this team to have a top 5 defense this year. 3-4 requires not just four excellent linebackers on the field, but 4 big linebackers. I think Barton and Thomas are big enough, but Hobson and unfortuneatly Vilma isnt. Robertson isnt what anyone would call prototype NT in a 3-4 nor is his work ethic anything to brag about. Getting rid of Robertson is a given, maybe Hobson too but Vilma? I really think Belicheck gives his coordinators the Bible of 3-4 defense as every one of his former coordinators has to use that system....

#1 Jetsman5137, Oct 8, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2006
  2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The 3-4 doesn't suck, our personnel in the 3-4 sucks.

3. buddapaw

buddapaw Well-Known Member

So why don't we try some else, it's frickin obvious that it isn't working

4. Dinobot 2

Dinobot 2 Active Member

Totally agree.

5. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

The 3-4 doesn't suck, but Robertson sucks in the 3-4. Once Moore, who looks twice the size of Robertson, was in there we stopped the run pretty well.

6. abyzmul

The only reason I can think of why DRob gets most of the snaps is that Moore has a weak endurance or something. He is twice the NT that DRob is in this scheme. Otherwise it's bad coaching.

7. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

I said this back in July. Even the Patriots didn't use the 3-4 until they had the personnel to run it. It's just foolishness for us to force it.

8. Jetsman5137

Jetsman5137 New Member

Ok well i meant 3-4 sucks (for the jets)

#8 Jetsman5137, Oct 8, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2005
  9. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

What I don't understand is why Robertson hasn't been benched yet. Coleman got benched, Miller got benched. Robertson has easily been the worst player on defense this year. Sit him for a game and see if the guys behind him can do any better. It certainly couldn't hurt at this point.

10. abyzmul

I honestly didn't think the 3-4 would be installed so thoroughly that they would abandon the 4-3 almost altogether. This is actually what I wanted, though. I just didn't think they'd stick with guys like DRob at NT and Miller at starting CB.

Sutton doesn't impress me at all, his personnel and gameplan adjustments scream of the Herm Era. I wish we had just fired him now. And brought someone in from another organization.

Why do we have to watch DRob do his turtle impersonation every week?

11. I've wondered the same thing. The only thing I can come up w/..is truthfully..in terms of technique, D rob is doing exactly what he's been asked to do. He just is not made to play the NT spot. His arms are too short, he doesnt have a wide enough base, and his game is attacking..not holding ground.

At this point, he brings more to the table as a 3-4 DE...where he has made a few plays this year. But at NT..he is a lost cause.

12. The Predator

The Predator Active Member

Because of a great lack of depth. All we really have other than Robertson is Moore, and although the guy has been a pleasant surprise, he just doesn't have the stamina or endurance to be on the field for an entire drive, let alone the entire game.
    You can thank the front office for that. Allowign the team to go into the season with no starting NT, and only one backup.
    I still think we should've signed Grady Jackson, that would've solved many of our woes

13. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

I think try the 3-4 at least to the bye if not the end of the year. It needs time to work.

14. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

They never should have transitioned to the 3-4 this year. I'm fine with making the switch when the proper personnel are here to make it, but if they want to be competitive this year, then they need to play more 4-3.

15. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

Good point, and that's a horrible position to be in. Robertson has been a non-factor all season. NT is probably the most important position on the defense, and they pretty much ignored it in the offseason. I gues they thought Robertson could cut it, which is surprising because the guy was barely getting it done with 4 guys on the line.

16. DROB63Cmart28

DROB63Cmart28 Banned

We have to go back to the 4-3 then I beleive we would be successful in stopping the run. The 3-4 isnt working out at all.

17. ViLMaNiaC51

ViLMaNiaC51 New Member

They really don't run JUST a 3-4 when they give up all there points n sh** .You can't blame it all because you think all they run is a 3-4...The d just needs work

18. coloradojet

coloradojet Active Member

What happened to Pohua? He was doing well in preseason until he got hurt. How long is he out for? Playing Robertson at NT even though he can't reminds me of how stubborn Herman was. The last think I thought would happened is another stubborn HC. Mangini is playing the 3-4 without a true NT. It's sickening to watch those runs up the middle.

19. MeanGreen80

MeanGreen80 New Member

Sutton needs to go he has no skills to be a coordinator we should bring in a defensive guru from the college ranks next year similiar to Norm Chow hiring in Tennesee

20. abyzmul

Pouha is on the IR.