2nd round prospects - lets make it work this time

Discussion in 'Draft' started by GasedAndConfused, Jan 8, 2018.

1. wampa

wampa Well-Known Member

Connor Williams didn't surrender a single sack in his first two seasons of play, including starting as a true freshman. Dude was recovering from an injury for some of what he played this season and is a monster. It will be very unexpected if he makes it past pick 20 nevermind into the second round. He's got incredibly polished technique and isn't even 21 yet. He's good enough you consider trading back up to pick 25-30 to get him, especially if you've got your QB. (There's a proverbial gauntlet of teams who would pick him in a heartbeat from 31-36 or so.)

Chukwuma Okorafor (first-team All-American at LT) and Kolton Miller (Josh Rosen's blindside) at OT are both worth looking at in the 2nd. Orlando Brown is also a mauler, but it seems like a move to RT might be necessary for him - nearly every scouting report I've seen makes note of his size and ability to maul in the run game, then gets real quiet when it becomes time to talk about footwork and polish. IMO, that signals his ability to hold up to speed rushers on the blindside is a potential issue, or that he'll need a lot more development - which we've heard more and more over time is harder to get in the NFL at line due to some of the practice restrictions - so I naturally lean towards less 'upside' plays on OL prospects.

Billy Price and Frank Ragnow are the top 2 center prospects and as many have said here before, both represent good picks for value - Price at the top of the second, Ragnow at the top of the third. If we're picking more on need - and Center is very much a need - you could bump up Ragnow to the bottom of the second.

Sony Michel could be an excellent day 2 pick. Don't sleep on some of the other, less publicized RBs in the draft class though. Ronald Jones, Rashaad Penny, Kerryon Johnson... Lots of good running back options in the 2nd/3rd/4th, and while I do like Michel, I also encourage everyone to self-scout how much they're biased towards him because of the Oklahoma game, and how much tape they've seen on other (non-Saquon) options at the position. I know in my case the answer is 'not a whole lot', which is why I'm a bit more hesitant here.

While naturally the focus of us as fans is going to be on reinvigorating the offense, I can absolutely see the Jets grabbing a defensive player - Corner, Edge, or DT - in the second, especially the late-second, if the value is there. That's also where I'd look to see if a good receiver fell.

FJF likes this.