2nd round prospects - lets make it work this time

Discussion in 'Draft' started by GasedAndConfused, Jan 8, 2018.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Let's also not be naive and not realize that a LOT of those assault cases are being routinely dismissed by universities and those they engage to rule in such cases. With Schickel being a big supporter of athletics at the school and an athlete himself, he could have very easily ruled against the young woman just to protect the athlete.

2. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

This WR draft isnt great unless its Day 3 i dont see us choosing a WR. Not that WR is a huge strength on this team, but with Robbys emergence (24), we have Enunwa coming back (25), Kearse (27) reminds me of Cotchery not flashy but just really solid overall he made alot of plays. I want to see what Hansen(22) and Stewart(24) can do next season. D. Smith is most likely not going to return and Peake and Marshall are on the bubble. I want a boring old O-Line draft sign me up for that please

3. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

The Title IX was reopened because the guy that made the ruling was a booster, kind of like if you were accused of something and your brother was the one deciding your fate.

You see nothing about the other stuff I mentioned? Did you question why he didn't play at all this year? Him and a bunch of other players used stolen credit cards to rack up over $18,000 in charges, he just accepted pre-trial intervention for that but not sure if the judge granted approval to it.

The weed he was caught with is not a big deal to me, unless you look at the other incidents to see a pattern.

4. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Well we're pretty much on the exact same wavelength. I also think of Cotchery with Kearse and I also am acutely interested in seeing how Hansen and Stewart can do this coming year, especially Hansen. I can picture him being a pesky Chris Hogan type.

I am getting set into my stubborn view that we need a big dynamic guy though. I'd be all for taking St. Brown or perhaps Marcell Ateman in the 2nd round. The Jets desperately (in my view) need 1 or 2 playmakers on offense that the other team fears and respects just by them being out there.

If the Jets elect not to go WR though I hope at least one of the 2nd round picks is spent on offensive line help. I don't even pretend to know how to evaluate OL guys ability to translate into the NFL but whoever the Jets think it is lets get one.

Nesquik likes this.
  5. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I gotta imagine WR is far down on the needs list, at least I’d hope so. I don’t by any means think we have a great WR corps but it has enough young talent/solid vets for now.

After QB in the first there should be OL & RB talent that makes it to 2nd.

FJF and Nesquik like this.
  6. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

Not a fan of WR so early unless Quincy Enunwa doesnt make it back from neck surgery (must say I havent heard much about his 2018 status). I wouldn't want to give up on Q. We also spent 2 picks (3rd & 4th round) on WRs.

Because we spent a LOW 2nd round pick on him, I also dont want to give up on Devin Smith - despite the fact I have zero tolerance for injury prone players. Amazing to think that the guy tears his ACL in a non-contact practice simply running a route. I saw Robby Anderson take hits during the year & getting back up on his feet - Heaven forbid Devin Smith even gets tackled.

We have Robby Anderson, Jermaine Kearse, Q (hopefully), the 2 picks from last year + the unknown (Devin Smith). We have so many holes on the team, I'd rather focus on more need critical positions.

I'd toss my NYJ jersey into the Atlantic if we drafted Calloway in the 2nd round (or the 3rd & 4th for that matter). We'd likely have to bail him out before signing him to a contract. PASS.

7. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

I like Ragnow, but I believe he'll be there for our 3rd rounder. Center seem to drop later in the draft more than any other position (except K & P). Just look at Pat Eiflein last year from Ohio St, - which pisses me off that we traded down last year in the 3rd round to watch Minnesota take him & then he put in a great rookie season. I know we had Wesley Johnson a 2nd round tender, but damn!

Center will be a real draft/FA evaluation position. In checking the upcoming 2018 UFA players list, - I wasnt in love with any of the available O-linemen. The 1 name that did jump out at me was Ryan Jensen C from Baltimore. He's young and good. I think it would be better for us to get Jensen in FA & fill the position there.

Its so damn frustrating that previous drafts have left us so short-changed for decisions like these. F--KING Quinton Coples, Stephen Hill, Dee Milliner, Calvin Pryor, Jace Amaro ==== these guys aren't even in the league!!!!! Not even on a practice squad!!!!!! These were our 1st & 2nd round draft picks & they are still in their 20s!!!!!!!! Geno Smith is a FA soon to be on the street back home.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I hope Ragnow lasts that long, I've seen mocks of him going in the mid-second. I wish we thought more about the center position last off-season that's for sure! At least give some good competition to Wesley Johnson. I really like Billy Price though from OSU, he's better then Eiflein per some scouting reports. I am not an expert in terms of judging centers, I tend to just watch their feet and Billy have some quick ass feet for a big man.

Sigh Dee Milliner, Hill and Pryor, please DO NOT REMIND ME :(

9. Pepsiguy5

I'm still trying to figure out how Jace Amaro failed so badly. Dee Milliner too... he looked like an absolute elite athlete to me.

westiedog1 and njjets93 like this.
  10. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

So true. They say the NFL is a copycat league and now with the success of Gurley, Elliot and Fournette making big contributions to their teams offenses. RB in the first round could be making a comeback. .

11. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Dee Milliner was always hurt. Guy never stood a chance.

12. westiedog1

I think the Jets gave up too early on Amaro. Unfortunately, he was drafted to a team that didn't have a pass oriented offense and didn't throw to the TE a lot on top of that. If you can imagine coming from college used to having 100 receptions and then hardly seeing the ball in the pros. Also, from being the primary target to being the third option. Third option usually means a hurried and less accurate throw. The tendency would be to overreact to seeing a ball thrown your way and mess it up. Had he had a QB like Roethlisberger, Brady or Manning throwing to him, I think he would have been okay. As for Milliner, it's hard to say. He may just have been a bust. On the other hand, it has to be hard for a rookie to play press coverage on a team that doesn't score many points. You can't afford to let your man get by you for a quick TD, so you have to play off and concede the short pass. Also, comparisons to Revis, who had just been traded, hurt him. I think we are learning that there are very very few CB's comparable to Revis when he was at the top of his game.

13. Pepsiguy5

Yeah things like this just make me wonder sometimes. As someone who's never even played football myself I am very open to the possibility that I just don't get it but you'd think it Amaro was in a situation like that the coaching staff could go out of its way to get him a few easy ones here and there to build up his confidence and get him comfortable. Its not like we're talking about some UDFA off the street, you made a fairly significant commitment to the guy with the draft pick and all so he's obviously a big part of your plans.... make it work!

Milliner too... even now he's only 26 years old after a year to heal up whatever was wrong with him. Nobody will give him another shot? I remember him making some incredible plays here and there picking off passes against Tampa I think it was. Its not like he couldn't play. I remember on several occasions he certainly passed the "eye test" with me. This guy was our #10 overall pick or something just a few short years ago.

westiedog1 likes this.
  14. westiedog1

Amaro was the No. 2 rated TE that draft year, yet he caught more balls on the Jets than the No. 1 rated TE, Ebron, on the Lions in their rookie year. He was knocked for being "soft", whatever that means, and a poor blocker, but all top rated TE's are top rated for their catching ability not their blocking. Blocking is something they usually pick up in the pros. Go figure.

15. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

The Chiefs signed Amaro to a reserve/future contract for 2018 so he will get another chance to play but with Kelce as their starter he may have to prove himself in preseason to stick with KC or to get another shot with someone else.
    I think the Jets moved on from him too early , he had the injury that cost him his second year and the groin injury in preseason year 3. He was behind Walker and Fasano both in Tennessee.
    It's interesting that with similar production in his rookie year, as ASJ last year, he was cut and considered a bust, but ASJ is considered some great success and some want to overpay him.

njjets93 likes this.
  16. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

Malik Jefferson. Dude's a baller.

17. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

Sony Michel, Mark Andrews, Billy Price, and Frank Ragnow would be some guys whom I'd look into further

18. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

Vote for Ragnow with one of the two 2nd round picks. I don't think he'll make it to the third.

19. Boomboom

Boomboom Active Member

In the 2nd I like Ragnow, then Penny or Sony Michel

20. njjets93

njjets93 Active Member

With Anderson messing up in Florida, we may be in the market sooner rather than later for a WR. As I posted earlier KeKe Coutee in the third would be a steal.

The secret to the Pats success is their good luck charm,, having a Texas Tech WR. Regretfully the good luck charms Welker and Amendola have been instrumental in their success.. , and I guess some guy named Broady or something had something to do with it, lol.