2019 - Time to Switch Defensive Schemes?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GQMartin, Nov 12, 2018.

1. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

We’ve seen the lack of pass rush, linebackers getting burned in coverage, blown coverages in the secondary and countless holds for a decade.

Is it time to switch back to a 4-3 (not that the 4-3 fixes the aforementioned but it’s something fresh).

Snag two FA pass rushers and lets build. Lawrence would be a good fit.

2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Ask the new Head Coach in January or February. ;)

3. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

The problem is not the scheme. 3-4 is arguably a better defense overall; when any of the 4 LBs could potentially be either the 4th rusher or drop into coverage in a non-blitz play, it's much harder for the OL to block and harder for the QB to read coverage. The problem is that none of the Jet coaches as of late seem to know how to run a 3-4. The linebackers are supposed to be the main pass rush, with the D-line getting penetration and taking up blockers for the rush LBs. The Jets seem to use their D-linemen as the main source for pass rush. The problem is, most 3-4 linemen not named J.J Watt are almost always going to be too slow to collapse that pocket quickly enough, especially when they're facing quick release QBs like Brady or Rogers. They keep stocking up on linemen who would be great IF this was still a run-first league, or if they had an effective rush LB.

Right now, the defense is not set up to be an effective 4-3 or 3-4, but they're closer to getting who they need to be a good 3-4. A good coach is going to use whatever scheme is going to work best for the team at the moment. For example, Parcells has always been a big 3-4 guy. But in 1998, he switched to 4-3 for most of the year because that was the best scheme for the personnel he had. Considering the Jets had the #2 defense in the league that year, I'd say it worked.

#3 Linebacker712, Nov 13, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  4. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

We have a scheme?

5. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

We have a defense?

Peebag and JetBlue like this.
  6. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Right this is exactly my point. Get 2 viable ends in FA and set them up in the 4-3.

Do hybrid sets like Rex when needed.

7. Defense is actually above average & has been even in lean years as it should be w the amount of assets allocated including coaches.

The problem is they never play w a lead,are put in unfavorable positions & fold in the clutch bc they never learn how to assert their will properly bc of the overriding philosophy. You cannot win w defense post 2010 nor is building an impenetrable defense realistic.Teams must Be able to outscore people & the great defenses of today’s era dominate by making timely stops,forcing turnovers & tightening up in the red zone.

Weve all been programmed by this outdated philosophy & horrid offense to expect perfection from the D.Guess what?W the rule changes constant 3 & outs,consistently Perfect coverage down field & tight run fits are unrealistic.This is basketball on turf..its about containment not impenetrability.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

All teams run hybrids. Bowles too.

Defense isn't the issue, but they definitely need to address the pass-rush position. Teams run more nickel and dime nowadays in the NFL.

9. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Yes but the point is when you declare a base scheme, you then are identifying players in the draft and FA that fit that scheme.

So I'm saying the 3-4 hasn't work for the NY Jets since 2008-2009 and neither have the players.

Switch to a 4-3 model, identify ends that fit in the 4-3 and let's go.

ColoradoContrails and boozer32 like this.
  10. 101GangGreen101

They've been drafting players like Lee and Williams who can play in both schemes. Sure, the base is 3-4, but when have they attempted to draft a blue chip outside linebacker? Sign one? Perhaps 1 or 2 in the past 2 regimes alone? That's why nothing works, cause they haven't addressed the key position on defense.

3-4, 4-3, 5-2, 3-3-5 none of that matters if you don't have someone to rush the QB.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I understand your desire to switch. I hope that they will as well unless it would cause the team to have to turn over a bunch of its present defensive personnel. I hate the 3-4. I wish that we'd never gone to it. That was just another reason I despised Parcells. Finding OLBs who can cover well and rush the passer is too hard. Since more college teams are using the 3-4, it's easier to find them than 15 years ago, but it's still difficult. Collegiate 3-4 OLBs are often lighter than they are in the NFL, and many teams are still looking at 4-3 DEs and trying to hope they can teach them to play standing up. The success rate for that isn't great.

With the league passing more and more, big 3-4 LBs often just aren't quick/fast/agile enough to cover receivers over the middle or get to/stop quicker/faster RBs.

The bottom line however s that is the new HC's determination not the fans'. It really doesn't matter what we think.

12. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Overhauling the front 7 of the D is not necessary or prudent. There are too many things to address in the off season to have to worry about changing Dline personnel to better accommodate 4-3, which probably means bringing in 2 DEs and maybe a DT. We already have to overhaul the oline, get an edge rusher, and add offensive playmakers. That's too much change at once and don't think it's wise to sacrifice fixing the offense to switch defensive schemes.

13. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Other than the 3-4 hybrid being a superior D imo, changing fronts would create more holes on this roster with no real benefit.

It would be another tail chasing exercise that I'd want no part of.

To take it a step further, I wouldn't hire a DC that can only run a 4-3.
    The best DC's adapt to what they have.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  14. 101GangGreen101

That's really the best answer. Jets need to find a way to generate pressure with 4 or 5 guys, blitzing over 50% of the time, just isn't the right way anymore IMO. Quick passing attacks makes blitzing obsolete. Works sometimes, but nothing better then getting pressure with 4 to 5 guys.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I would keep Williamson and Jordan and trash the other linebackers. Crazy how we draft defense every year yet never address the problems of the defense.

16. boozer32

Great points. That best player available just ain't working on the defense side.

GQMartin likes this.
  17. boozer32

One of the worst ones.