2019 NFL Draft

Discussion in 'Draft' started by boozer32, May 21, 2018.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Overpaying is relative. the jets arne't giving him 100 mil. it's a broad number in an interview you are too hung up on. The market sets itself. only 1 RB makes more then 8.5 mil a year. Bell will likely get a 5-6 year deal around 12 mil a year or so depending on how many offers he gets. and when those offers are on other non good teams the jets won't be looking so bad.

2. Not to mention prior to Bell’s quote there’s been mentions multiple times over of him actually growing up a Jets fan.I never took those remarks as derogatory toward the jets but rather him just having an inflated opinion of his value on the whole

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  3. GasedAndConfused

could be a mixture of both. or maybe just him trying to be funny. it's amazing how 1 line from an interview can get everyone up in a fit of rage

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

if the Jets do some good scouting for a change, they should find a RB in the draft. There is no need to spend all of that money on Bell, who at best is a luxury. He's all about the money. Nothing wrong with that, but hes never been about the team. Suspensions, etc

Making a splash like that could set the Jets back culture wise.

Red Menace likes this.
  5. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Or different lines from different situations. It wasn't just a one off from him.

6. GasedAndConfused

7. GasedAndConfused

yes he's a luxury and I wouldn't rip apart a team to keep him. but he's alot more useful then like 10 mil in cap room when we have over 100 of it next year and he's a huge upgrade over powell and crowell and will help sam alot. What's the cap room going to do for us on the field? we can sign bell and 1 or 2 pass rushers and still have money left over. then we can use the draft to focus on o-line and it's a very good draft for o-line

8. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

FQBs are the only ones that are worth paying for, you never overpay for a RB.

Invest in the oline and draft a good RB, I bet the running game will be good enough to help Darnold.

The Waterboy and NCJetsfan like this.
  9. 101GangGreen101

Resign Leonard Williams and Q. Never know what other players are available as well.

FJF likes this.
  10. GasedAndConfused

Williams doens't need to be resigned in 2019. we picked up his option. he's not a FA until 2020.

Q if he shows he's healthy and performs well then yes but he won't cost much. Anderson is a RFA shouldn't be expensive.

as far as whats available you can see that now minus some cap casualties
    https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/

11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Looking at that list, Mac really screwed the pooch by going "cheap" in FA this year with the OL. We've all been saying that we can go a long way towards fixing the OL during FA next year, but it's questionable how much long-term help will be there. That's the oldest FA class I think I've ever seen. There may not even be any short-term help in that FA class. Most of the projected FA OL are on the wrong side of 30. Ali Marpet (OG) is 26, LaAdrian Waddle (RT) is 28, Ja'Wuan James (RT) is 27, Cedric Ogbuehi (RT) is 27, Cameron Fleming (OT) is 26, Bobby Hart (LT) is 25, Marcus Martin (OG) is 25, AJ Cann (OG) is 27, Zach Banner (RT) is 25, and Matt Skura (C) is 26, but a number of those guys aren't even starters now, how many of those guys will make it to FA, and then how many will fit our blocking scheme?

The only real possibility for significantly improving the team I see at the moment (based on a quick, cursory glance, and if they don't get re-signed by their present teams) is to sign an edge rusher.

#51 NCJetsfan, Sep 7, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  12. Marpet & Ogbuehi both fit the scheme & i could see both making it to free agency. I dont think drafting all 5+ of our OL is a practical venture.Putting an inexperienced line no matter how talented in front of Darnold is just as dangerous as the average talent OL we have now. Theres a void right now between college & pro line play & development has suffered.Beyond that finding guys for this scheme will not be easy.

The healthiest & best plan fkr the OL is a mix of quality FAs & OL.Dont be surprised if the Ozl is not addressed til day 2 or 3..as we saw w Denver over the years the top guys who fit this blocking scheme are not always in line w the OL big board.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/7/...ngals-offensive-tackle-first-round-draft-pick

Ogbuehi has struggled w Cincy but i think hes a better fit in a ZBS anyway.This article makes mention of his weakness being core strength..the ZBS is more about movement & agility..which is a skilllset he has

13. GasedAndConfused

there really wasn't anyone to sign. only soldier was an upper tier lineman. that's all we really missed out on and the giants paid him quite well. the FA class next year for lineman sucks too. There is a shortage of good ones in the NFL right now but the 2019 draft class is strong for o-line. That's why i want to address pass rusher in FA as there are really good ones (lawerence and fowler and ansah) all pretty young and 10+ sack capable and land a playmaker on offense (bell) and then go heavy on o-line in the draft

14. GasedAndConfused

we don't need 5 really. I think were good on the inside. we just need tackles. we can draft 2 of them with our top 2 picks and even keep beechum for 1 more year so we don't have to start 2 rookies on the line.

15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Thanks for your response Kurt with info on which players would fit our blocking scheme. I liked both Marpet and Ogbuehi when they entered the draft, and agree that they could make it to FA.

I disagree that we couldn't draft all 5 of our starting OL, but no one said that they all had to start immediately. I agree that we wouldn't want an OL that was comprised of only rookies or all rookies. I think we would want at least 1-2 veterans starting and maybe even 3-4, and the others could eventually be added into the mix.

Well, I hope that our #1 pick next year will be used on a great LT prospect. To get a topflight LT, they almost have to come from the 1st round. Sure, one can find an average or below average LT in a lower round, but that's not what we want, imo. Besides, we may not even have the same blocking scheme next season. If Bowles is fired, we could have a totally different offense and blocking scheme. If he is fired, I hope that the offense won't change, and while I'm not a fan of zone blocking schemes, it may be easier to find players that fit it than those who are better suited to a man blocking scheme, and it would be better for Darnold if there were some consistency in the OL and they weren't having to learn a new blocking scheme.

Unless Shell develops no further, he will probably be a holdover on the OL and Long could be as well. I'd like to see Ogbuehi replace Shell and Marpet replace Carpenter. If Beacham plays well this year, it would probably be better if Beacham is kept, and then let the rookie LT learn from him, or if he beats out Beacham, keep Beacham for depth, but that may not be feasible. At any rate, Carpenter should be gone. I can't remember whether Winters will be a FA or his cap numbers will be such that he could easily be cut following this season, but if he doesn't bounce back this season now that he's healthy, then we should probably look to replace him.

As far as Denver's OL, it has been pretty crappy, and I don't want any part of that caliber of OL.

16. All good stuff & we’re in complete agreement.Just for clarification i was referring to Shanahan’s Denver OL/scheme which theyve moved away from in some instances since his departure. Sort of that Tom Nalen/Gary Zimmerman/Ryan Clady blue print.They had some amazing lines & most guys were brought in outside of round 1.Thats because the prototype for this style of OL is very unique & doesnt always line up w the big board.

As for early observations Greg Little out of Ole Miss looks like a perfect fit for the scheme..we’ll see where hes at come bowl season but he looks like the real deal & an obvious target

#56 KurtTheJetsFan, Sep 7, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2018
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. Long is only here on a 1 year deal & Carpenter is in the last year of his deal.Thats before looking at Winters,the tackle positions or depth.5 is unrealistic for 1 offseason but its likely right around the corner unfortunately

18. GasedAndConfused

yeah but both can be resigned if they play well enough. long is actually on a 4 year deal with a 1 year out. If he playes well we don't need to do anything, if not we can release him with no cap issue or dead money. carpenter can be resigned and has played pretty well. As long as long comes through i'm ok with him, carpenter, and winters on the inside. It's the tackles that most concern me. RT has been an issue here for a long as time. probably like 6-7 years since we had a good one. If erick flowers does well at RT i'd take a look at grabbing him from the giants. He's a former 1st rounder and young. was always suited to play RT but they started him at LT and he was awful. maybe even swing him inside at guard but really not much to sign in the offseason. drafting a LT to me in the 1st round next year is a no brainer and hopefully finding a RT with one of our 3rd round picks and we can keep beechum 1 more year just in case

19. 101GangGreen101

That doesn't mean you don't get a deal done if you can get one done. Especially if he has a good yr. Do you not remember the issue with Mo previously? We waited, waited and waited and IMO it did no good for the Jets. Q, if he has a big season, might command a decent $. Anderson poss the same thing.

Regardless, I am not signing Bell to any contract here. If you watch college football, its full of great RB talent.

20. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Erick Flowers.

I can’t lol enough.