2019 b/u QB

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by No Fly Zone, Dec 31, 2018.

1. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

The list of FA Qb's is very underwhelming. We heard next to nothing about how Webb did nor did they give him playing time while Sam was healing. Mac needs to evaluate and speak with Bates then decide whether the kid has shown enough to earn QB2 next year and if so sign him to a friendly contract. If not, you offer McCown drastically reduced money and scour the scrap heap for a young kid to add to the practice squad after final cut downs. I'm fine going with Webb as the back up if they like him and internally he's shown enough. Given his age he would be a nice alternative and he has a year in the system so should only improve with OTA's etc. McCown isn't the future and didn't look good when he was in there.

2. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

Let the new OC decide. :)

Leicester Jet and FJF like this.
  3. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Bates? Are you serious? The only thing Bates gets to decide on is if he packs his crap in a bag or a box as he leaves.

NYJetsO12, Jets69, TonyFtLaud and 4 others like this.
  4. No Fly Zone

I want Bates gone more than you but someone there has to have had eyes on Webb. Who else in this wretched organization could Mac possibly talk to for any opinion on Webb? Possibly the water boy but that's about it besides Bates.

5. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

He has a year in the system? A new HC usually (and in this case almost certainly) means new coordinators, which generally means a new system. Having a "year in the system" in this case is akin to saying he "wasted a year of his life", unless he follows Bates to his next stop (my condolences to that team).

6. Carpetbagger

Carpetbagger Well-Known Member

I don't think Davis Webb would be a good option. I don't want an entire qb room that needs to learn a new system and is inexperienced in doing so. Hopefully, this new coach would be someone who would have some ready-made backups in place that we could get cheaply that could help Darnold master the system quick. Or, just bring back McCown. He's more than serviceable and him and Darnold already work well together.

themorey likes this.
  7. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Kliff Kingsbury coached Davis Webb at Texas Tech from 2013-2015.

Just saying.

JetsFan, Jetphan73 and James Hasty like this.
  8. Chappy13

Chappy13 Active Member

Interesting!

9. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I find it extremely odd that you are more concerned with keeping Bates around for the sake of Davis Webb than you are about getting rid of him for the sake of Sam Darnold.

10. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

My guess is a viable veteran should Sam go down.

Flacco
    Tannehill
    Siemian
    Tyrod Taylor

NYJetsO12 and TonyFtLaud like this.
  11. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

There are alot of FA QBs who should be available this coming off-season.
    McCown's days should be done.
    I'm sure Mac has seen plenty of Webb in practice running the scout team to evaluate him . We will likely sign a vet back up as insurance. Trevor Siemian, Brock Osweiler ,Taylor, Weeden,Hogan, Cassel, Sudfeld, Hogan,Landry Jones will all be available not to mention guys like Bortles, Flaco, Tannerhill, Fowles, Etc.
    Don't think it will be a problem to find a back up.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Would you really want any of those guys signed to be our backup? I wouldn't. I'd rather take my chances with Webb.

13. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

I'd be more than happy with several of them. Yes over Webb.
    So you prefer Webb, who's never taken a snap in a NFL regular season game over Super Bowl Winning QBs.
    I wouldn't. Also expect Webb will stick around but the Jets tend to go with 3.
    I'd be much more comfortable having Nick Fowles come off the bench than Webb should Darnold get injured.
    Edit : Foles.
    So you don't have to good let my Misspelling......

#13 TonyFtLaud, Jan 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  14. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't think the guy was saying he wants Bates to stay, only that Bates may have some information about Webb that might be useful before he leaves.

15. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Nick Foles for the win.

westiedog1 and TonyFtLaud like this.
  16. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

If Nick Foles makes a playoff push he will be starting somewhere next season.

westiedog1 and TheJetLife like this.
  17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Who is Nick Fowles? Do you mean Nick Foles of the Eagles? If so, then yes, I'd take him, but he's the only one of those guys I'd take. If there is a good veteran QB available like Foles, I'd be happy for the Jets to sign him, but if not, I'd rather roll with Webb than some stiff just because he's old and has more experience. Unless he's another Petty or Hack, Webb should have played instead of McCown this season so the Jets would have a better idea of Webb's value and to get him some experience. This is another way in which the Jets' org chart hurts the team. If Bowles reported to Mac, Mac could have ordered Bowles to play Webb instead of McCown.

18. No Fly Zone

huh???? Where did I say that? Coaching staff's typically are not let go until the new HC has an opportunity to meet with them. The vast majority are shit-canned after that meeting but that in no way means I want to keep Bates around for 1 second longer than that meeting.

Comprehension is fundamental !!!!!

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. No Fly Zone

The point of this thread is discussing WHO should the team look to for QB #2 for 2019. Please keep on topic and "try" to comprehend the topic. Anyone suggesting Bates is a part of the solution or that I want him as part of the solution has their head up their ass and can't comprehend the point of this thread.

Getting a good QB2 is very important as they are 1 play away from becoming the starter. The FA class is just awful, we have no idea if Webb is any good. Mac has made plenty of mistakes but he's not as dumb as a rock as some think which may be why he grabbed Webb. The question is do they keep him or get one of the awful FA QB's?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner