2018 Yankees Season Thread

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by GQMartin, Mar 28, 2018.

1. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

It sounds like Lance Lynn will take Gray's spot in the rotation, and Gray will go to the bullpen for long relief.

Gray is very lucky that the N.Y. Daily News did away with most of its sports section. Can you imagine how he would have gotten crucified if the two tabloids, the News and the Post, were at full strength and trying to outdo each other on Sonny Gray stories? Imagine if ESPN still had those two negative guys, Matthews and Marchand, covering the Yankees? I still want to know why Gray was smiling after getting his ass kicked. The press is also reporting that Phil Nevin, the third-base coach, reamed the players a new asshole in the dugout during the game. Helluva way to get ready for four big games against the Sox.

https://nypost.com/2018/08/01/the-2-plays-that-may-explain-yankees-coachs-dugout-explosion/

Trivia: Nevin was the guy the Astros took instead of Jeter in the 1992 amateur draft. Good scouting, 'stros.

#321 Since1969, Aug 1, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  2. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Agree with Michael Kay Gray will go to the bullpen and be useless, pitching only in blowouts

3. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Need to take 3 out of 4 this weekend. Anything less and we either lose ground or are back at 5 out after Sunday. Pitching matchups are in our favor, but games aren't played on paper.

4. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Cessa brought up assuming Happ can't go Saturday, that would suck

5. CotcheryFan

Then winning the other 3 games is of paramount importance. At least we miss Sale.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  6. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Remembering Thurman Munson today,,,,,,I remember hearing the sad news as if it were yesterday

7. Since1969

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  8. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

9. Since1969

I remember that day well. I was walking through a mall. I passed an appliance store and saw Munson's picture on all the TV screens. I figured he had been traded. He had been feuding with Steinbrenner, and there were rumors that he wanted to be traded to Cleveland to be closer to his family. Just a few days earlier, the Yankees had traded Mickey Rivers. "Aw, shit," I thought. When I got out to be car and turned on the radio, I found out what had really happened.

10. Since1969

Well, that was quite a barf-inducing performance last night. Over the last few weeks, we've seen lack of hustle, lackadaisical plan and bonehead plays. If this team doesn't get its collective head out of its collective ass real soon, they'll be lucky to get a wild card. Jose Reyes should be happy, however, because Jonathan Holder's performance last night made Reyes only the second worst relief pitcher in New York this week. You get the sense that the Yankees have bought into the fawning press coverage this year, and think they only have to show up to win. Hopefully, this is the reality check they need.

11. CotcheryFan

Holder's been so good this year that I can forgive a clunker. Too bad it happened against Boston at Fenway. The bigger issue, IMO, is the absence of Judge and Happ not pitching this series. A split might be the most realistic outcome this weekend. I don't believe the Sox are that much better than we are. They've taken care of business against the doormats in the league while we haven't. They had a 10-22 stretch last year, so I'm not worried about the month long .500ish baseball they've played lately. Might have to settle for the dreaded WC game though, ugh.

12. Since1969

Let's see if Severino is on his game tonight.
    What did you think of Boone's slow hook on Holder? Cone was screaming to get him out of there several batters before Boone did.

What did you think of Boone defending Holder's bonehead play on Jackie Bradley on the comebacker? Boone absolved Holder but threw Andjuar under the bus. Odd.

13. CotcheryFan

He better be or it could be another long night for the pen.

His hook should've been shorter when it was obvious Holder didn't have it. Didn't get how Andujar was at fault on that play. Not a good game for Boone and the Yankees. Win today and it'll be forgotten.

14. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

Another rough loss for the Yanks and it will get worse tomorrow with Chance Adams on the mound.

For as much talent as these guys have it’s unbelievable that they are now 7.5 games out of first place.

Bad starting pitching every night
    Terrible Defense
    Terrible Baserunning
    Terrible Managaging
    Dead with RISP

Boone better turn this around or he will be on a short leash with the fan base.

Since1969 likes this.
  15. Since1969

When you get only one hit and that hit is a home run, you really don't have to worry about RISP. What worries me is that the entire team seems to be playing in a stupor. The only spark all night was Severino buzzing Betts in the first inning, but that didn't work so well because Severino then proceeded to give up three runs in that inning. As I said in an earlier post, this team had better get its collective head out of its collective ass or else it will be lucky to get a wild-card spot.

#335 Since1969, Aug 3, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
  16. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I think Boone is ALREADY on a short leash,,,,,after speaking to friends they are now longing for Girardi,,,,,still time to turn this around but this team is currently heading in the wrong direction

17. Since1969

Boone has made some puzzling decisions, but let's not let the players off the hook. They look listless and lethargic. In this day and age, managers have only limited leverage over players. Ultimately, it's up to the players to get the job done. In the next few weeks, we will learn a lot about the character and heart of this team. What bothers me is that the only guy who seems to be pissed off about things is Phil Nevins, the third-base coach, who reamed the players in the dugout on Wednesday.

18. CotcheryFan

It would take a monumental collapse for this team to not even make it to the WC game. That said, the division is slowly getting out of reach. The injuries to Judge and Sanchez are starting to hurt the offense. We're seeing Romine slowly regressing to his career norms and teams are running on him at will, something we don't see with Sanchez. No Happ this series means a rookie and not the top pitching prospect making his MLB debut at Fenway. About Boone, there's no way he's on a short leash. The Yankees don't operate like that. Girardi missed the postseason his first year here and lasted 10 years. During that time, I heard people complaining about his decisions all the time. On Yankee blogs, fans couldn't wait for him to go.

19. Since1969

I agree. I don't see Boone on a short leash, unless he starts making a whole slew of bad decisions. If anything, they'll replace the bench coach next year.

I disagree, however, on the stolen bases. They're not running on Romine; they're running on the pitching staff. Have you seen the jumps these guys are getting? The Sox did some good advance scouting and saw that the Yankee pitchers are getting sloppy with men on base. These guys have stolen so easily that Sanchez's arm wouldn't have made a difference. I'm sure the Yankee pitchers fell into some sloppy habits because so few teams run aggressively any more.

20. CotcheryFan

Offense was once again a no show. They're playing their worst baseball of the season at the worst time. It'll take a 12-3 stretch to make the division race competitive again. Without Judge, Sanchez, and Sevy not ace like lately, that will be difficult.