2018 Season In Review...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Dec 30, 2018.

1. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

1. 4 & 12 season speaks for itself. We let a few games get away ala (Titans, Texans, Browns), hopefully a CS will come here with a better plan and we can start winning some of these close games, ala (Bills).
    2. The year was suppose to be about Sam, getting him game time reps and seasoning him for 2019. We were all looking to see Sam improve during the 2018 season and I would say he did just that. After the injury, he played very well & showed much improvement. I am excited to see Sam take the next step with a year of experience, and growing chemistry with Quincy, Robby, Herndon, and dare I say Burnett...He looked good vs. Patriots.
    3. New players that played well, Williamson, Copeland, Luvu, H. Anderson, Herndon, Roberts, Myers. None of them were on the team last year but they all contributed well.
    4. Other players who show improvement, R. Anderson started slow but also came on in the last 4 games running better routes. I think it is safe to say he's not a one trick pony & the chemistry with Sam really starting to gel. Eli McGuire out for the first half of the season, but carried the load the second half. I love his style, patience to the hole...excel through the hole. A good pass catcher, good moves in the open field. We still need much help in the OL to get our running game going.
    5. Biggest disappointment this year has to go to Jermain Johnson. He did have 4 picks in 12 games, but his cover skills left much to be desired. IMHO he played too soft giving WR's to much room. Hope next year he gets back to press coverage which he did well on Rams.
    6. Special teams were fantastic. Myers & Roberts making the Pro Bowl. Roberts was fantastic giving us great field position & a punt & kickoff returned for a TD. Myers was very good for most of the season, but sputtered a bit down the stretch with a missed FG & 2 PAT.
    7. THE INJURY BUG hit us pretty hard to key starters, Eli, Powell, Quincy, Crowell, Johnson, Mays, Shell, Carpenter, Sam, just to name a few.
    8. LOOKING FORWARD TO 2019....NEW HC, OC, DC, A NEW ATTITUDE, NEW UNIFORMS. THIS IS THE YEAR TO DISMISS "THE SAME OLD JETS" & BECOME LEGIT & BE PLAYING MEANINGFUL GAMES IN DECEMBER . ALL THESE CHANGES CAN HAVE A POSITIVE EFFECT, BUT IT MAY TAKE TIME . AS LONG AS WE GET THE RITE COACHES IN HERE IT WILL EVENTUALLY WORK. WE MAY NOT GET TO THE PLAYOFFS NEXT YEAR, BUT WE WILL BE A TEAM TO BE RECONED WITH.
    9. They started by signing Quincy, which is a good move. Now a few draft picks & FA's and we could be playing meaningful games in December.
    10. Some may think I am to optimistic, but looking at the team negatively isn't in my DNA. I always root for the team to win....not tank for draft picks. As far as I am concerned the Jets are headed in the rite direction, a lot depends on the CS we bring in, we have our FQB! J -E- T- S.... JETS, JETS, JETS.:D
    11. This is going to be a very interesting off season to say the least.
    12. GIVE YOUR TAKE ON THE SEASON

#1 BudJet, Dec 30, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
    Mogriffjr, legler82 and mrjet80 like this.
  2. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

All caps.

Bold.

Red font.

It’s all I can see.

Ralebird likes this.
  3. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

I was expecting the first post to be a GIF of a turd.

4. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

This season was a disaster except for good special teams, Jamal Adams, and a strong finish by Darnold. Realistically next year we'll keep Mac and hire a somewhat disappointing coach. Darnold will improve in his second year, and Mac will use the cap space to improve the roster. We'll finish with a mediocre record and realize we aren't going to get better than that without an overhaul that won't come.

5. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Sadly sounds about right.

dmw likes this.
  6. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

This seaon was fat with unprofessional hair and was as painful as 120 baseball losses.

JackBower, MoWilkBeast and FJF like this.
  7. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

The eternal rebuild.

legler82 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  8. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I had some hope when I thought Bridgewater was gonna start.

Then Darnold landed in our lap and it all went to shit.

Oh yeah...

9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

First, I'm glad they lost enough and badly enough to get Bowles fired - they were never getting to a SB with him.

That said, the season should've been much better. WIth even a competent - not great - CS they could've finished at .500 and been "in the hunt" until near the end. Sadly, with the personnel they currently have that's about as good as they could ever get, even if Lombardi was coaching them. I don't enjoy watching them find ways to blow games almost every week, nd yet I took solace that "losing was winning" as it meant Bowles would likely be fired, and maybe even Macc - both deserved it. Sadly, Macc stays, for now. Maybe he gets fired yet. Or maybe he gets "demoted" to being a paper-pushing GM while all the big football decisions get handled by either a newly hired Pres. of football Ops, or a strong HC.

There is only one guy on offense and one guy on defense that can be used as solid foundations to build upon. That's not much.

10. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

You secured that bag.

Quinnenthebeast likes this.
  11. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Parcells gets this team to 8 or 9 wins

Not that I care

But coaching matters.... Sorry Jamaaaaal

Anyone notice how Belecheat refused to kick off long? Geee I wonder why.......

This is what I mean. Coaching matters. These are the details that only a douchebag genius cares about.

We need our own douchebag genius.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. vokab206

vokab206 Well-Known Member

13. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

This is a thread about 2018, and I completely agree with your assessment of the season. As to next year, I won't dispute what you've said, but I will wait and see, at least for a while.

14. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

I'll post more on this but Derrick Jones looked good in extended action. Between Skrine likely being gone and Claiborne as well, I hope Nickerson and Jones get some time to work into the rotation. I'd also keep Roberts...AS A CORNER.

15. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say McGuire did a great job carrying the load

Jets81 likes this.
  16. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

I have to look at the tape...

ColoradoContrails and Big Cat like this.