2018 QB's

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JethroTull, May 1, 2017.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

If the Jets want Mayfield, they were better off taking Watson last year. I don't think Watson will be that good in the league unfortunately.

Big Cat likes this.
  2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I like Mayfield a lot for all the reasons you stated. I just question his velocity to the numbers and fitting the ball in tight windows. I don't think getting the ball down the field will be an issue.

It was the same issue I had with Trubisky last year. Can he fire the ball into tight windows that will close when the safety approaches? I'm not so sure. At the very least I see him being a good backup quarterback.

I never discount quarterbacks that have as much experience winning as he does unless they have a Tebow type of arm and delivery. It's the same reason I was so high on Watson. Winners are winners. They can bring a certain moxi to a team. He'd be a good quarterback to toss into an open competition.

He also needs to grow up a bit as well. But I think he may have finally learned his lesson after the Ohio State flag thing and how his apology actually seemed genuine. Then again, he could end up like Manziel. He was a winner in college too.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Agreed. It's why I was also high on Mahomes - and also because Mahomes has such an arm.

I'm still a Rosen fan, but it's a long season and things can change. What Mayfield did against Ohio St. has to be weighed heavily in his favor, but I don't know how his speed is.

When all is said and done, I want the Jets to take a guy who - if need be - could start next year. No more "projects" and god forbid, "red shirts"!

#63 ColoradoContrails, Sep 23, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  4. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

He seems like such a douche lol

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  5. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

Worth noting every player on the field was trash talking each other before that game. I agree, though. He's a college frat bro dude with a high motor. That said he's also a great QB.

Jonathan_Vilma and Big Cat like this.
  6. lockgang

lockgang Member

baker mayfield is on roids and looks like a midget. He looks and talks like brian cushing.

7. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

Here's the tape of Mayfield against Baylor:

A few throws are in some tight windows (ones would be closed in the NFL), and he makes an ill-advised scrambled and takes a few unnecessary sacks. That said, long-time scouts write that we can only evaluate QB prospects based on their decisions/performance under the given circumstances, not the outcomes.

The reason why I'm bringing up Mayfield is that he'll likely be there when the Jets pick.
    Due to his physical measurables, Mayfield won't crack the top-10, even in the best case scenario (for him), with him more likely grading out in the range of second to early third. From the Jets' perspective, he could/might be good value and a good WCO fit.

8. Jonathan_Vilma

I like him anywhere beyond the third. Second round might be pushing it, but if we feel he can be a franchise quarterback then pull the trigger Mac. If we for some reason miss out on the top dogs, I'd still like to see us get someone like Mayfield. He wins. He throws a good ball and makes some pretty good decisions.

I really like the touch he has on his balls. Not the strongest of arms, but he has the touch to put the ball over linebackers and in front of safeties and in between defenders in general. That's highlighted on his first two throws. Although Baylor's defense is horrendous and coverage will be a lot better at the next level. He did throw to a lot of wide open receivers in that highlight.

He made a really good throw at the 4 minute of mark knowing he was going to get popped. He does have the tendency to float the ball a bit though. Needs to tighten that up and get more of those low liners when throwing outside the numbers, flags, deep outs, etc.

The good and the worrisome part of his game are highlighted here as well. He puts a lot of his body behind those deeper throws, but he can definitely get the ball down the field. He won't always have the luxury to step into those throws like he does in college. He has good escapability and feel for the rush. 17 straight games with at least two touchdowns can't be ignored.

He also locks on to receivers sometimes, but I also do see the willingness to go through reads and use his eyes to move safeties. It's encouraging. It's tough to improve arm strength. But if there's any way to do so, put this kid on that damn program.

Matt Ryan had similar concerns on his deeper throws. He was/is much bigger though at 6'5".
    The NFL sometimes has a way of humbling the cockiest of college quarterbacks and players. I sort of like the cockiness. Just don't be juvenile about it.

#68 Jonathan_Vilma, Sep 27, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  9. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

With Allen struggling and Darnold off to a somewhat slow start, there might be a window opening up for my avatar Stidham to slide into the top QBs group. Right now the top QBs conversation has been limited to Rosen, Darnold, Allen, Rudolph, Falk and Jackson in no particular order. He has quietly been getting better every week. If he continues, he may end up getting his own TGG draft thread before season's end. One forgets, that he's just a redshirt sophomore with less than 10 starts. On to Mississippi St tonight at 6:00 PM EST on ESPN.

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Just go to home from work and flipped on the game. He made a really nice play on the long touchdown throw looking left then coming back to the right side of the field and delivering a strike on the double move inside. Receiver smoked the safety but he still didn't give away his read. Nicely done.

Just ate the ball on a sack, but I see a player who is definitely going through progressions.

He had the space to move up in the pocket and step into his throw. How's his arm in general @legler82 ? It looks strong with solid mechanics and footwork.

11. legler82

As I said many times he has the best "combination" of tools in the class. His arm is exactly as you surmise; strong, solid mechanics and GREAT footwork. The latter plus his anticipation, timing and accuracy makes him an ideal WCO QB. The Auburn offense is as gimmicky as it gets which will make him a hard evaluation for the lazy scouts. The only knock I've seen, if you can call it a knock, is that he is risk adverse. He is not the chance taker that Rosen and Darnold are. He will take a sack or tuck and run before ever trying to "throw someone open" as they say.

12. legler82

J. Stidham dropping dimes against Ole Miss right now. He is 6-7 for 119 YDS with 2 TDs and there's over 14:00 minutes left in the 2nd quarter. I don't know how much longer he's going to continue to fly under the radar.

13. legler82

14. legler82

15. legler82

Jarret Stidham has completed 84% of his passes in the last 14 quarters.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  16. 101GangGreen101

He looked really good yesterday Legler. He has great touch on his passes and a pretty good arm to boot. Very good decision maker.

I do remember seeing this guy once at Baylor, didn't think highly cause everyone looks good under Baylor O ... but he's really producing against sec defenses, very efficient.

17. legler82

With his feet, decision making and accuracy, he's a PERFECT fit for Morton's offense.

18. legler82

BTW the bold is why people need to be able to look beyond the system. Petty played under the same offense putting up big numbers and I never saw anything special as a prospect. When I watched Stidham's tape I saw tremendous feet, NFL caliber footwork, arm talent, accuracy, ball placement, above average athleticism, ability to go through progressions and manipulate safeties. All this as a true freshman. I don't think he is elite at one thing but as I've been harping over and over, he has the best combination of traits in the class. The one area of improvement would be his pocket awareness; he is well behind Darnold and Rosen in that area. He has yet to display that sixth sense that the greats have. Then again he hasn't had a lot of starts; it could be something that he develops with more snaps.

19. 101GangGreen101

Hard to make an assessment when the receivers are wide open, and you aren't actually huddling up. However, Stidham did stand out in as a QB with good skill-sets. I think he's a great decision maker, that he may have over Darnold and Rosen at this stage. Definitely need to see more, but I like what the kid brings to the table.

20. legler82

GMs and scouts get paid good money to be able to see beyond WRs being wide open and no huddles. If I am able to do so as a layman; they should too.