2018 QB Competition Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Big Cat, Jul 26, 2018.

?

Who will be the week 1 starting QB?

Poll closed Aug 25, 2018.
  1. Josh McCown

22 vote(s)
    31.0%
  2. Teddy Bridgewater

16 vote(s)
    22.5%
  3. Sam Darnold

33 vote(s)
    46.5%
  1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I don't think we are going to trade Teddy only because I don't think he'll play well enough to warrant a team giving up an asset. Unless of course we are talking about a conditional 6th.

2. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Would’ve been a very easy thing for the Eagles to say when they drafted Wentz a couple years ago.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

In my defense, Nick Foles was reduced to dogshit by the team they brought him back. I don't think he really qualified as a high-level backup. Also, they have the support system to make any smart QB a good QB. We don't have that, meaning if we are good it's probably because Sam is a stud.

4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

far too early to make a determination on this, I am not making that trade if Teddy and Darnold are close in a competition. McCown is 3rd string

Ralebird likes this.
  5. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

McCown is the starter, Darnold in development until ready, Bridgewater traded, use the extra roster spot on a WR with return abilities (Whitehead)..

6. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Yeah that is definitely possible.
    I'm hoping he can do just enough in preseason action to get a desperate team to overpay.

7. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

that was the report not my opinion. If it was me i'd hold teddy until a teams QB goes down then trade him. still realistically we don't need teddy. we are not a win now team so going teddy over mccown doens't make any sense when mccown knows the offense and the team and has chemistry. also both mccown and teddy will be gone next year. teddy will find a starting job and mccown will retire. neither are the future, sam is. there really isn't any reason to not start sam at this point and let him grow and get experience. we only signed teddy as a lottery ticket if we couldn't land a QB in the draft and we got out guy. teddy is now nothing more then trade bait

8. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I think most people would agree with you there. Some are just worried the Jets will throw him in regardless and risk setting him back, as has happened with so many QBs before. If he wows everyone in camp and preseason I'd be happy for him to start, but I don't want him to be rushed.

9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Either you have it or you don't isn't quite true, but then I guess it depends upon what level of play you're referring to. There have been QBs who were not seen as starting quality, but good enough to hang around the NFL for years, then became quality starters later in their careers, but they are the exception rather than the rule, and Hack isn't even good enough to hang around the NFL.

10. NCJetsfan

What's not to understand? He's only 21 and has only been playing QB for about 4-6 years. I'm sure that he still has a lot to learn about playing the position. Why not let him learn it pressure-free so that when he does start, he is truly ready to play, and not trying to learn on the fly? If he sits, he can learn from both Teddy and McCown and the Jets have 3 capable QBs on the roster. If Darnold starts and Teddy is traded, that leaves 2 capable QBs and the Jets have to find some scrub to hold the clipboard. Then if Darnold goes down with an injury, which behind this OL is more likely than not, then that leaves us with just McCown or McCown and a scrub who doesn't even know the offense.

Further, with the OL questionable at best, why take a chance on Darnold taking a beating and getting shell-shocked or worse, seriously injured? That would be just the Jets' luck. IMO it's much better to wait, let him learn pressure-free, fix the OL and then hand him the ball.

I totally (albeit respectfully) disagree with your reasoning and your take on Teddy.

#30 NCJetsfan, Jul 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
    Brook! and Leicester Jet like this.
  11. NCJetsfan

Nope, and signing him to play the last preseason game would be nuts. I understand where you're coming from, but whoever the 3rd stringer is should play most, if not all of the game. My only caveat there would be not playing Darnold or Teddy behind our 2nd or 3rd OL. Let McCown take the beating. He's being overpaid anyway. Let him earn it.

12. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

I know you likely hate McCown but I don’t think there is any way he plays the 4th game.

13. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I just meant sitting Darnold for a long period of time might not help or hurt as much as we think. Hackenberg sat because he was terrible. Watching and learning did not make him better. Age did not matter. Sam is clearly better and only 21. Some examples of players sitting include Chad Pennington, but he had Vinny Testaverde playing well in front of him, Aaron Rodgers, but he had Brett Favre in front of him, so it's tough. I think with all they gave up and being #3 overall, Sam will start this year. Who is the last 1st Round QB to not play? I am not sure.

14. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Darnold needs to get his ass in camp already. Tell his 900lb future stroke victim agent to stop dicking around, stop using him as a pawn and do what's best for your client. Get it done.

You just know this will probably last several weeks. When everybody is like "don't worry don't worry it's practically done"

Bullshit. We're the Jets. God despises us. Darnold will not be in camp until well into August

15. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

The weird thing is, Sexton is a fairly established agent and doesn’t need to win this point to further his career or get new clients.

16. forevercursed

And yet he's dug in fanatically

17. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Let's keep Teddy..

Why? You guys forget that Josh M is aging out and will prob revert back to his mediocre form this year

The REAL back up on this team will be Teddy B as McGown will prob be injured or look to retire after this season...go into coaching etc

So I wouldn't be so fast to trade TB ...it would be nice to have a talented back that costs us very little in case Sam gets injured for a few games

In any event whether he is trade bait or stays or is useless he has to play well in preseason and possibly be well enough to start the season...still have to see if he can get up after his first hit etc

18. forevercursed

Depends on how circumstances unfold over the course of training camp and pre season

If Bridgewater...due to injuries or inefficiencies, becomes coveted it would be mighty difficult to turn down a 2nd rounder for him. But that's the ideal scenario

19. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I worry about the o-line and a young kid not making the quickest decisions. Don't want to see him get David Carred.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Source please.