2018 Off-Season Plan

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Broadway Bri, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Broadway Bri

Broadway Bri New Member

I rarely post but am always looking at the board and seeing everyone's opinion. I know the best part of every year for the Jets is the off-season but I truly believe this year is huge for them and they can take a huge step to being a competitive, perennial playoff team or crash and burn and head to a full house cleaning in 2019.

The biggest part is QB of course and I struggled as I love Baker Mayfield. I think Rosen is super talented but I really have come to the rationale that Cousins is the best fit for this team right now and would allow them to build an elite defense and not gamble on a QB as there is no one who is a can't miss prospect.

When its all said and done I think Drew Lock may be the best QB in the class. Who knows what Lamar Jackson becomes beside a highlight reel.

Here is my full off-season. It is still early and alot of were prospects project is still in question.

Let me know what everyone thinks. I really believe this makes the Jets competitive next year and in the future.

Draft

1st - Bradley Chubb OLB NC St - Jets finally get an elite edge rusher. Elite teams need a QB and need to pressure the QB

2nd A - Derrius Guice RB LSU - I see no reason to draft Barkely high when I think you will get the same production from Guice. If he goes in the first round you can hold off for Sony Michelle later. Both fit today's NFL game great.

2nd B – Equanimeous St. Brown WR Notre Dame / Christian Kirk WR Texas A&M - Jets need a legit #1 WR, while these guys are very different, St Brown more polished and larger target and Kirk a dynamic playmaker, this team needs weapons.

3rd – JC Jackson CB Maryland - Physically everything you would look for in a CB, had the off field issues but if you bring in some FA targets to solidify the secondary you can gamble

4th – Bradley Bozeman C Alabama - Not flashy but solid and a huge need that must be upgraded if not in the draft then in FA. Obviously Price is the head of the class but I don't see him getting out of the first round.

5th – Desmond Harrison OT West Georgia - This is another risky pick but someone with a ton of talent and some off field baggage. Again talent wise he is probably first round quality.

6th – Riley Ferguson QB Memphis / Tanner Lee QB Nebraska - Late flyer on a QB, as who knows who will be re-signed, they can even develop one as a quality back up.

Release

Mo

Skrine

Forte

Resign

Josh McCown on the coaching staff

Demario Davis

Mo Claiborne

ASJ

Cattanazaro

Free agent Signings

Kirk Cousins QB

Kyle Fuller CB or Bashaud Breeland CB – Young CB to play opposite Claiborne

LaMarcus Joyner DB – replacement for Buster Skrine. Seems like a perfect fit for a Bowles defense

Sheldon Richardson DT – bring him back cheap and hopefully motivated if there is interest on his end

almbleamal and Br4d like this.
  2. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Still go back and forth on Cousins, but ultimately gives the Jets a good starting QB for the next few seasons at least. So I'd be cool with him.

Seem to be good young signings for CB, so that's good.

I don't like bringing Sheldon back. I think it's time to move on; he was traded for a reason. They can and already have gotten solid production at DE from Xavier Cooper and Kony Ealy. Another mid-level FA is fine though.

Personally, I think the Jets are good at WR. I'm very hopeful with Enunwa returning and still believe in Hansen and Stewart to make leaps. That pick should be OL, which is neglected in this offseason. They need way more than a Day 3 Center and OT. At the least, they need a day one starter at C and more youth at OG and LT.

Edge Rusher high if they get Cousins is a fine idea.

Will Guice make it that long and is Jackson necessary with two big free agent signings? Not a terrible idea to add more CBs, but they also do have a bunch of young prospects still.

Always on board for a late flier at QB! Ferguson is intriguing.

FJF likes this.
  3. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Think the Jets can pass on RB in the second round for now.

Think they need to take whatever OL is avail.

4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

There has to be some o lineman added either in free agency or the draft. Preferably both

Red Menace and BacktoQueens like this.
  5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

taking a receiver in the 2nd is too early; Jets don't really need one right now. Also, you didn't address the offensive line until late in the draft. Bring Sheldon back?

BTW Drew Lock is not declaring, he's staying in school.

Red Menace and ColoradoContrails like this.
  6. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I dont think Guice lasts that long and would not be against taking him there, hes a game changer.

blackssmagic likes this.
  7. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I don't disagree with Guice being a good player or even a game changer.

The Jets have a game changer with Powell, just need the OL to get him and McGuire some bigger holes.

8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

IMO the Jets will never build sustainable success by continuing to sign FA QBs. Cousin is good, but imo not good enough to get them to, much less win, a SB. The Jets will also never build a perennial contender by trying to build an "elite" D. The name of the game in the NFL these days is offense, not defense.

While there's no disputing that the Jets need and have needed a stud pass rusher for more than 10 years, if they pass on taking a QB in the 1st round if Mayfield, Rosen or Allen are there, in favor of Chubb, I hope that they never win another game as long as Bowles and Mac are with the team, and maybe for as long as Woody & Chris Johnson own the team.

Aside from Chubb & Guice, I wouldn't be very happy with that draft at all. I don't think that Mac would ever draft Brown or Harrison.

I agree with releasing Mo, Skrine and Forté.

I agree with re-signing (not resigning) ASJ, Claiborne, Davis, Cattanzaro and McCown (not on the CS, but as mentor, backup and starter if necessary), plus Enunwa, Kony Ealy, Eric Tomlinson, Lawrence Thomas, Brent Qvale, Terrence Brooks, Rontez Miles and maybe Mike Pennel, Doug Middleton, and Julian Stanford.

No way I'd sign Cousins, but I don't think I have to worry about that. I don't think he'd ever sign with us.

Fuller - I'd be happy if they signed him.

Joyner - No opinion

Richardson - You can't be serious! He was a cancer in the locker room and a zero on the field for the Jets, and did nothing with Seattle. Bringing him back is a horrible idea. The Jets would be much better off re-signing Xavier Cooper.

9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I agree with NC - trying to build an "elite" defense is fool's gold. The Jets have been "mining " that for ten years or more and what have they won? They do need a stud edge rusher, but they need a QB, and upgrade of the RB and OL more.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  10. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I like the draft a lot. Free agency is pretty good but there is no way we don't pick up at least one offensive lineman in free agency, especially if we are letting Dozier and both of our centers leave in free agency.

FJF likes this.
  11. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

100K posts about Cousins coming to this pothole but the media, NFL radio etc all point to him going to Denver..SMH with this waste of time

Some posters have to do less thinking and start to read the tea leaves lol

We need a QB so sorry Broadway your way off here imo

I think if you started your selection off with Harrison OT and Bozeman C I could stomach these selections...maybe

But linebackers and a running back are way lower priorities for this team

Terrible draft triple feh..forget Defense please..8 years enough

12. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

DISCLAIMER: the commentary below is purely speculation and should in no way be interpreted as fact. Please do not make any bets on futures based on this info.

If Cousins hits the open market, which I expect he will, I believe Jax and Denver are the likely landing spots. Imo he goes to Jax as that team has everything needed except a QB. Denver also more or less fits that profile but I think Jax has more cap room (after dumping Bortles) and is up and coming, plus no state income tax in FL. I think Macc makes a push for Cousins but bows out when it gets too expensive.

I hope the Vikings keep Keenum and let Bridgewater walk, but even if they do there will be competition for him. Based on chance to win he should pick Denver so the only leverage the Jets will have is salary cap. That means they would have to overpay to get him.

The most likely scenario for the Jets then is to re-sign McCown, let Petty walk and draft a QB. At #6 it's going to be a BPA for Macc as usual, so that will depend on how the Jets rank the players and how 1-5 develops. I could very easily see the #6 pick coming down to Barkley vs Chubb and then one of the 2nd round picks nabs a QB. If that's how it plays out the other 2nd and the 3rd round picks should target OL.

13. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Don't mind going after Cousins in FA or Bridgewater as a backup plan if Cousins goes elsewhere. Mac has not shown anything to lead me to believe he can spot QB talent in the draft , and Bowles and company have shown nothing to indicate that they can develop a young QB.
    I would target Ziggy Ansah , and Joyner if he hits the market.
    In the draft, I'd trade down in the first round, draft Price. Center is our most glaring hole on the O line and must be a priority. I'd also use the early second on best O line available and go for a RB/WR with the late second and third round pick. Maybe Lock. I'd love to take him in the 4th, but I think his stock will rise and I agree, he could turn out to be the best QB in this year's class.
    The rest of the draft would depend on FA signings. ( He'll, the entire draft will depend on the FA signings)
    Agree with the cuts
    As far as resignings
    I'd drop McCown. If we sign a FA QB there's no reason to keep McCown around, not as a player or coach.
    Also ASJ. Turned down an offer already and while he was a nice feel good story, he failed to produce at a level to warrant more than he was offered.

14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

You should post more often. It's nice to see a meaty well thought out discussion of the options.

One of my fantasies is the Jets getting an OT on the 6 and then using the 2 2's to trade up into the back end of the 1st and getting a Mayfield or Rudolph there. The trade up into the 1st is to get the 5th year option, which will help out a lot in terms of the second contract.

15. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I always respect your opinions, but in this case I disagree. If there's a QB that Macc thinks can be the FQB he needs to take him with his first pick. Trying to be "smart" has cost teams great players in the past. And frankly, if there's a QB that falls to the bottom of the 1st or the 2nd round, I'm not sure he should be taken over a OL or pass rusher unless Macc knows something everyone else doesn't - and we've seen how that's worked out before.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. Broadway Bri

Broadway Bri New Member

I agree 100% with needing O Line help but with that said I don't see the value. Unless you are going to use the #6 pick and take Nelson from ND, but that is really high for a Guard. An elite pass rusher is much better value. Only way I can see picking OLine this high is for a stud LT. If you want to trade down then maybe take Nelson or McGlinchey.
    Conor Williams, Orlando Brown are all over the board in alot of mocks. I think neither ends up at LT though.
    In FA, the options really aren't there either. Norwell from Carolina I think is the best available OL, I would be all in for signing him. Sollder is past his prime and will look for alot of money.
    I chose Bozeman because I think it is great value and he starts day 1 and upgrades the position. Again Billy Price I don't see making it to Round 2 and you can't pick him at 6. Harrison is first round talent but some off field issues. Again imo great value if he gets his head screwed on straight he can plan LT, eventually but start at RT day one.

17. 101GangGreen101

Connor Williams is going to be a stud at the next level. If the Jets could address the QB position in FA and get Williams and Billy Price (miracle he gets to rd 2), the line is going to be in excellent shape for years to come. Price in RD2 is very highly.

However, I think if you swapped your 2nd round pick with a Frank Ragnow, the Jets will be better off on the o-line.

18. Broadway Bri

Broadway Bri New Member

I can see were your coming from. The dream then would be if they address QB in FA with Cousins, any way in hell you can keep Lawrence from not re-signing in Dallas? Alternate would be Ansah to upgrade the pass rush.

Got a question for you what are your thoughts on the guy in your avatar? He reminds me so much of Vick when he first came in the league, strong arm and video game running ability. Would be a highlight reel but really struggle to see him panning out as a franchise QB.

19. 101GangGreen101

I mean Chubb vs a LT ... I would probably go with Chubb also, but I don't think he gets to 6 ... We need an Edge Rusher. It will open things up for Leonard Williams. Connor Williams wouldn't be a bad consolation prize as the Jets find a 10 yr starter at LT.

Lamar is a polarizing figure to most on this board. An innovative offensive mind could mold Lamar into a franchise QB, he's actually patient in the pocket and can play in a pro style offense. He won't run nearly as much at the next level. He can throw on the run. His game will require adjustment, but he's not a project QB by any means. You can look at what the Texans have done w/ Watson or the Eagles w/ Vick in terms of playbooks. Also 49ers with Kaepernick (Morton connection). He's a top 3 QB in this class in my opinion. Rosen, Darnold and Jackson.