2018 FAs: Even With a Ton of Cap Space, Can the Jets Really Do Much Fix the Roster?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

If we cut Wilkerson, that's $9 million in dead money. I have a hard time believing we'd cut him. Yea, it'd free up $11 million but still.

Skrine and Forte could go though.

2. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

The cap savings go up more if we cut Mo after June 1st. But that would take away some money we could use to play around with in free agency.

I think jets end up cutting him before free agency so that they have max cap space and will try to improve the roster to contend next year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

We should give Kyle Orton a call. He's only 36-37 at this point.

We're going to test out every backup quarterback we can before we finally draft a franchise quarterback in the first round.

Orton was good once or twice...

4. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

The key here will be how smart we are with the $ we have.
    We need to bring in FA that aren't the big $ signings but can be key pieces to shoring up positions of need and adding quality depth.

That coupled with drafting well, will keep the payroll manageable to where we can continue to have $ on hand to improve the team year after year .

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

Without really looking at the list of potential FA's, the Jets could certainly use help at in no order:

Linebacker - Mac has been a huge failure in his attempt to overhaul the linebacking corp. Lee is the biggest waste of time among others like Mauldin and Jenkins that simply are not cutting it. I would sign at least one FA. Davis has played well as of late.

OL - This unit overall is horrid, even worse than the linebackers. Could use a Center most of all.

Corner - The corners have actually played surprisingly well, but an additional corner could only help.

I would use some of the money to resign Kony Ealy, he's an excellent player.

QB - obvious

RB - Forte is slowing down.

6. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Since I think we are building this team the right way, we should not be spending a lot on free agents unless a beast at LT/QB/pass rusher is available. In all likelihood, we should go after young players that fit the scheme and culture of the team. If we do get older veterans, we need to get selfless guys who would look to mentor the younger players and don't cost a ton.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  7. grkmanga31

Figured I'd resurrect this thread because with a few games left, Jets will have to make some tough decisions in the offseason and will have a ton of cap space to play with.

IMO these are my cuts or restructures:
    Wilkerson - Cut
    Buster Skrine - Cut
    James Carpenter - Restructure - he has a cap saving of 4.7 million and dead money of 2.105 mil if cut. Since we can't get rid of a bunch of o-linemen at once, think he would be a prime player to restructure and get him under contract for another year or 2. Think he's on the decline personally, but still good enough to play at an above average level.
    Ben Ijalana - Cut - 4.750 mil saved
    Jermaine Kearse - Cut as he frees up 5 mil in cap
    Bilal Powell - Cut - saves 4 million
    Steve McLendon - Cut - saves 3.25 mil
    Forte - Cut - saves 3 mil
    Devin Smith - cut - saves 1.234 mil

List of Pending Free Agents from Jets
    Dakota Dozier - walk
    Eric Tomlinson - good blocking TE - bring back on cheap deal
    Quincy Enunwa - Bring back-
    Brent Qvale - bring back for O-line depth
    Rontez Miles - bring back - good special teamer
    Chris King - who? walk
    Doug Middleton - walk
    Wesley Johnson - Clearly not an NFL center - not sure if worth bringing back for depth.
    Chandler Catanzaro - can get a cheaper option through draft - walk
    Morris Claiborne - resign - but concerned about durability - otherwise he is a really good CB
    Mike Pennel - should have been cut after Panthers game.
    Jonotthan Harrison
    Julian Stanford - meh
    Josh McCown - thanks for your service Josh but it's time the Jets finally address the QB position in a serious manner - walk
    Demario Davis - re-sign
    Chris Gragg - walk
    Kony Ealy - re-sign,
    Terrence Brooks - cheap deal
    Austin Seferian-Jenkins - Re-sign, dude has been a bright spot on this team, on and off the field.
    Claude Pelon
    Ben Braden
    Deon Simon
    Geoff Gray
    Terrell Sinkfield
    Jeremy Kerley - walk - good but we have Stewart and Hanson, have to move on and give the younger players a shot.
    Damore'ea Stringfellow
    Lawrence Thomas
    David Bass
    Bruce Carter
    Freddie Bishop
    Jalin Marshall
    Akeem Judd
    Neal Sterling
    Xavier Cooper
    Ed Stinson
    Zach Conque
    Lucky Whitehead

Half of these players, are either not on the team, or if they are they're on the PS squad. Overall, the roster is going to look a lot different next season, but with the cap space we have and draft capital, we can realistically improve the squad drastically. A lot of the older - higher paid vets will be cut again for a 2nd consecutive offseason because their production on the field does not match the compensation.

I know some people will disagree with cutting Bilal Powell, but running backs are easy to plug and play and the draft should have quite a few who can replicate what Powell does. He's not a bell cow like Zeke Elliot, and since McGuire is on the team for a few more years, we could address rb through draft, or free agency, or both.

8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Disagree with kearse and Powell, both pros not making a lot of money in a year where we are not hurting for cap space. Not smart opening up further holes in the roster. I’d hold on to both for 1 more year, kearse to give Hanson and Stewart one more year without needing them to step up(3rd years is the charm for receivers) and Powell because he is solid and rbs can be grabbed any year.

9. grkmanga31

Those are the two I figured most people would be skeptical about. I don't really know if Powell has game breaking ability, and with his usage being inconsistent, I'm not sure if his cap savings outweigh his production. Kearse is solid but we also have to consider what happens if we re-sign Enunwa, and the fact that we have Stewart and Hansen on the roster. Understand your points though so I wouldn't be shocked if they are retained.

Either ways, we're looking at 90+ million in cap with some of the moves made above, a lot of holes to fill. I think a lot of this hinges on whether Jets aim to add QB through free agency, or if they're drafting one.

10. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

According to Overthecap there is over $18M carryover from this season to add to $80M next season giving them $98M to start with, counting your cuts, but not Carpenter restructure, they would be somewhere around $136.4M. If those numbers are correct they could keep Powell and Kearse and still be at $127M.

Not sure why the numbers jumped since the last time I looked but it could increase further dependent upon how far the Chiefs go and how Revis contract is written.

FJF likes this.
  11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Wow! I disagree with a lot in this post. Cut Powell and Kearse? Why? What would be the point in that? I doubt that the Jets will go further into a youth movement or rebuild, and won't make the team worse than it is at this point. They don't need the cap space, and as it is they have to spend more than Mac would probably like. He's certainly not going to make the situation worse. The excitement and buzz created this season will also prevent that even if that is something that Mac was considering, which I doubt.

I definitely think that Forté and Skrine should be gone. I seriously doubt if Mo will be gone. The Jets would save $11 million, but would take a dead money hit of $9 million, and again they are below the spending threshhold, so Mac isn't going to make that worse. Cutting McLendon could make sense if there's a good replacement available in FA, but if not, it would just create another hole and make the threshhold worse. I can possibly see Ijalana gone if the Jets can sign a FA replacement or if the Jets draft a good young LT, but it not, I think Ijalana stays due to the threshhold. I think Smith will probably get one last chance in TC. If he gets injured again or doesn't perform to a high level, then he'll be cut. I don't know why Carpenter would agree to a restructure. The Jets have plenty of cap space, there's the threshhold to consider, and he's their best OL.

They can't and won't let all those players walk. That's absurd. Mac isn't gonna have the time or ability to sign 20 FAs to replace them all, and he isn't going to make the spending threshhold worse.

Definite Keepers (in order of importance)
    ASJ
    Quincy Enunwa
    Morris Claiborne
    Demario Davis
    Eric Tomlinson
    Kony Ealy
    Rontez Miles
    Brent Qvale
    Lawrence Thomas
    Wesley Johnson - they aren't gonna sign or draft two centers
    Julian Stanford - one of their best STers and decent depth

Potential Keepers
    Mike Pennel - he had a dumb penalty, but are they happy with his play otherwise? He's still young and talented
    Chandler Catanzaro - they'll probably bring in competition again for TC and go with the winner
    Terrence Brooks - did he do anything at all after his first game here?
    Ed Stinson
    Doug Middleton - they liked him and he showed promise
    Dakota Dozier - it will depend if they can sign better depth or draft an OG
    Bruce Carter
    Freddie Bishop
    David Bass
    Claude Pelon
    Damore'ea Stringfellow or Lucky Whitehead - may bring back both to compete for the return man job

12. grkmanga31

If you go to the cap calculator, the 18 mil carryover is already in the starting number if im not mistaken.

Also, I think the cap space will go up again as it has done year over year recently.

13. grkmanga31

Cutting Powell is questionable, I would do it because I don't really know if he's worth the cap, but I can see him staying. RB is an easy position to replace if you know how to scout. Seeing as there will be a bunch of RB's coming out again, Jets will likely need to draft one regardless to address Forte getting cut.

Kearse is a nice WR but what happens if we want to resign Enunwa? Are we going to re-sign both of them and let Stewart and Hansen waste on the bench again?

Unless they think poorly of both the rookies, someone is going to have to get cut. 5 million in cap space freed vs. no dead money is hard to overlook. You can sign a nice player with 5 mil in cap.

Wilkerson is gone. His production has not matched his contract and injuries aside, the point of retaining players is to make sure they're living up to their contract. Wilkerson has not done that and even if his dead money hit is high at 9 mil, Jets could wait till post june cut him, which lowers the dead money hit drastically.

McLendon doesn't offer much aside from stuffing the middle like a true NT, aside from that there's no pass rush, or anything special about him. Nice locker room guy, if they want to keep him, sure, wouldn't really be upset if they let him go.

Smith is currently on IR, and has been injured his entire career which is unfortunate. But we already have a guy like him (Robby Anderson) who burns people. Hard to see them sticking with him but maybe they see how he's progressed and whether he can stay healthy.

We will have a very busy WR room with limited space if we aren't going to get rid of certain people.

Ijalana is just ok, good o-line depth, but I think Macc needs to address o-line vigorously through free agency and the draft. If he values cap space over Ijalana's ability, then go for it.

He may not cut everyone, but a lot of notable jets won't be jets next season and for a good reason IMO.

Can't expect to be retained if the production doesn't match the contract.

14. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Yes, they can.

15. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I think so. The biggest issue is QB. MUST use a high draft pick on one or sign Kirk Cousins.

A new RB to add to the shuffle is important and would consider 2nd day pick there.

Actually think WR and TE are set assuming Enunwa and ASJ are resigned. Wow

OL has been bad, but I don't see them replacing Beachum, Carpenter, or Winters. I think Shell is mostly safe at RT too; let's keep letting him hopefully grow. But they MUST replace Wesley Johnson and I'd like to see them try Dozier at C a few games ago. A free agent center or else a day 2 pick is a necessity. I would also like to see a new OG and maybe OT in the mid rounds of the draft.

DL could be set if Wilkerson came back for much less money (would anybody pay him what he's due?). Resign Ealy too. Hopefully his lack of stat line can drive down his price.

ILB I think is set with Davis and Lee. Davis has been a big surprise and Lee has improved. I don't see this being a need area.

Need one pass-rushing OLB, not an edge-setter. This could be free agency or the draft.

S is set!

CB is interesting... Claiborne has been great, but still been injured a bit. Skrine has been a mix of very bad and very good. Roberts has been decent or at least taken steps forward. and Burris has been one of the year's biggest disappointments. I'd resign Claiborne and look for another CB in free agency or draft.

PRIORITIES:
    - Franchise QB (high draft pick or Kirk Cousins)
    - Starting C (free agency or 2-3 rds of draft)
    - Pass rushing OLB (free agency or 1-3 rds of draft)
    - Starting-caliber CB (2-3 rds of draft or free agency)
    - RB to play big role in committee (likely 2-4 rds of draft)
    - Young talent at OG & LT (3-5 rds rounds of draft)
    - DL depth (only if Ealy is not back and or Wilk is gone)

Let's say they keep 4 drafts picks in rounds 1-3 to address 4 of those needs and the other three in free agency. I don't this is crazy. And this team has been very competitive this year as the team is now...

grkmanga31 likes this.
  16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I agree. Kearse is reliable enough that I would keep him on board. Bilal Powell is a guy I always want on my roster. @only $4mil next season there's no way I would cut Powell.

Brook! and FJF like this.
  17. grkmanga31

Also, I'd like to add that some of the cuts I typed up are because I don't think RB and WR are premium positions. Powell is no zeke elliot, and the jets obviously view the rb position as a "by committee" kinda deal.

He's a nice player, relatively cheap, but we'll see.

As for Kearse, also a nice player, but how many WR's are supposed to touch the ball? I mean we could theoretically go into next season sign both Kearse and Enunwa, added to Robby/Stewart and Hansen and roll with that, but I'm unsure how they view a clean 5 mil cap savings versus cutting him.

18. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

I ain’t cutting Powell. No one plays harder than him. He’s a Jet until he doesn’t want to be.

FJF likes this.
  19. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Why wouldn’t you go with enunwa Robbie kearse Hanson Stewart?No one is making big money,that’s 3 WRs you know can play and 2 developing prospects. Enunwa isn’t getting a long term deal coming off neck injury and kearse is locked in for another year.
    I feel like you are just trying to create as much space as possible without considering the depth chart and replacement costs.

Brook! likes this.
  20. grkmanga31

I'm looking at the roster and asking who is replaceable and is their value to the team worth more than the cap space they would free up. I'm also trying to view the roster through the prism of premium positions. Currently, I'm not viewing many of these players through a viewpoint of much value because aside from being role players, they don't actually make or break the game. Maybe I'm being over simplistic and I don't expect everyone I mentioned to be cut, but I want the Jets to start focusing on premium positions (CB, O-line, QB, EDGE) and not on WR and RB which you can replace relatively easily.

I'd also like to point out that it's not like i'm not flexibile with other peoples suggestions. Replacing all the players above isn't going to happen, I'm not expecting jets to cut everyone above, again just trying to weigh the pro's and cons, or value versus cap free up if they were to be extended or cut.