2018 FAs: Even With a Ton of Cap Space, Can the Jets Really Do Much Fix the Roster?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Aug 22, 2017.

1. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

I anticipate us being very very active in FA in 2018 and irrespective of whether Hack, Petty, or a high draft pick is starting next season, I would be shocked if the Jets don't invest in making the offense a lot better. The Jets will be reeling and losing lots of money in 2017 and we all know what happens after a down year with the Jets. They make huge splashes trying to excite the fanbase and trying to get people into the stadium. That approach makes sense but there's a difference in spending money just to spend it, and spending money to acquire heavily scouted talent that you know will pay off over the course of the contract.

How do you help a rookie QB? You make everyone around them better and the Jets did a disservice to both Petty and Hack by stripping the offense of talent, Mangold and Decker come to mind. Jets need to make sure that if they do go ahead and draft a QB high in 2018, that they tailor the offense around the QB and to also surround that QB with legitimate WR targets, and o-line help.

I am unsure why the O-line has struggled as badly as it has. Possibly the new offense but that needs to get better ASAP

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I hope that you're right about the Jets investing in FA in the offense. At this point, I'll believe it when I see it. If we have a new, offensive-minded HC, then I think we would, but if Bowles and maybe Mac are still here, all bets are off.

3. grkmanga31

Hopkins is clearly a #1 WR, I too would go after him as a priority if he isn't resigned

4. grkmanga31

If the Jets draft Darnold and don't surround him with talent then they will just end up like the Colts and waste away a great player. The reason why the Colts suck is because they got Luck killed with his surrounding cast.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. grkmanga31

Leveon Bell is also a Jets fan apparently, but would cost a ton, and has sustained some pretty serious injuries so I'm unsure if I would invest a ton of cash in Bell despite him being a ridiculous talent.

Red Menace likes this.
  6. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

We need a QB ,we've always needed a QB ,nothing else matters until we find one.We could sign the top guy in every position in FA and it won't matter with Hack ,Petty and Mcown the options at QB.

7. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

He was offered 50% more than the current highest paid RB and turned it down so I don't see him coming to the Jets. Or I should say I don't see them paying that kind of money.

8. grkmanga31

Knowing how bad the Jets ticket sales will be this year, I am anticipating a huge splurge next year. Just not sure how far Jets are willing to go for LeVeon

9. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Free Agency will be a huge disappointment for the CURRENT Jets front office. Lets examine the careers of free agents of the recent past that chose to join the Jet organization:

Revis: Was paid a boat load to return to NY. Bad production from him, deserved to be cut. Persona non-grata within the organization for now. He will be on the Jet Hall of Fame but is likely out of the league at this point. Left on a low note. Making ZERO this year.
    Marshall: After getting cut, probably landed the best out of all recent Jets free agents . Will be the Giant #2 receiver, making half of what he made for the Jets and Bears. But he has a decent shot at his first post season.
    Decker: With Tennessee, his base salary is 1/5 what he left in NY, and if he earns his full amount it will be half of what the Jets paid. Another guy who may see the playoffs for the first time in years.
    Cromartie: Out of the league. Looked horrible in his last year.
    Gilchrist: Making half of what he was making for the Jets with the Texans. Just another guy.
    Giacomini: Making 1/5 the base salary, and less than half of the Salary Cap. But I think he makes the Texans starting Oline.
    Folk: Less than half what he was making in NY. Was made the bucs starting kicker, but its obvious they would replace him if they could.
    Fitz: Half of what he was making in NY in Tampa Bay. Looks horrible.
    Geno: League minimum, may not even make the Giants as a second backup.

Any young Jets get signed in free agency for bigger money than they made for the Jets? I can think of only one, Snacks.

Lets not even talk about how they treat their old vets. Harris, Mangold etc.

Bottom line is, unless the Jets clean house and bring in a proven name to run Football operations, they wont be able to bring in anyone in their prime and ascending. It will be guys with a year or two left in the tank and wont come to the Jets unless they get paid a significant premium. Being a Jet is career suicide.

Jets69 likes this.
  10. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I could be completely wrong here--I haven't looked at any numbers at all, just operating off eyeballs and memory--but it seems like the proliferation of the passing game over the last 10-15 years has meant teams do a lot less punting from their side of the field, and a LOT less punting from inside their own 30 yard line than I remember in the 80's and 90's. Back then, a touch back, two runs and an incomplete was disappointing, but it was basically an expected thing. These days that's a major failure.

Maybe the numbers don't back that up, but that's how I remember it.

My point here is that maybe punters are better than they were then, but instead of 70+ yards in front of them, they're more often looking at 50+ yards, and if they kick it too far, it's in the endzone and they'll loose a big chunk back out of that. So they kick it 35 yards out and a mile high if they can.

Just my interpretation. I'm sure trying to kick it UP instead of FAR also makes it much harder to control direction, which leads to a lot of these bad punts.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. What do you folks think about utilizing the Browns Brock Osweiller method?

If we can't bring in building blocks w the cap space why not take on acouple bad but manageable contracts in exchange for draft assets?

ajax likes this.
  12. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I thought they were genius for doing that. Cap space is an asset. Using it to accumulate cheap labor later rather than laying it down on the suckers bet that free agency usually is will help long term.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  13. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I'm more concerned with this OL that he'll end up like David Carr-- a shell-shocked shadow of any potential he ever showed.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

Excellent point. I didn't think about that, but think you're right! Thanks.

15. NCJetsfan

Please refresh my memory...in exchange for taking Osweiler, what did the Browns give up or get additionally?

16. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

They got a future first second pick to take Osweiller off the Texans hands. I don't love that method, but if have the cap space and you draft a Darnold or Rosen (any guy you know you're gonna build around) I can't really be mad at letting a guy ride the pine in exchange for a 2nd from a bad team.

17. NCJetsfan

Thanks, but that's not quite clear. What's a "first second"?

I googled it, and here's what I found:

Now that I see that, I definitely agree with KurtTheJet and would do this with a couple of players if they can. Since they are seeking to build the team primarily through the draft, then extra draft picks, especially second round picks, are like gold. The Jets have plenty of cap space next year. As long as they'd only have to carry that player and his cap hit for one season, then I don't see why not.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  18. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Typed first originally the never deleted it when I went back to edit it. But yea... the meat of the deal is Osweiller and a second. You eat the shit financially for a while but get a nice asset along with it. If you have a guy you're building around and don't have to worry about Osweiller being awful, it makes sense.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. RIPJimLeonhard

RIPJimLeonhard Well-Known Member

Only problem with the Jets pulling that move is it 98% guaranteed they will blow the pick.

20. NCJetsfan

ROFLOL Sad, but probably definitely true! Either that, or it would be another defensive player.