2018 FAs: Even With a Ton of Cap Space, Can the Jets Really Do Much Fix the Roster?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Aug 22, 2017.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

They may not give a 2nd, but on potential alone he's worth a 1st. Even if he's been dogging it with the Jets and can still play at a very high level, his attitude will knock him down. I was being optimistic, but I think you're right that it would probably be lower, but I don't think it would be as low as a 5th round pick. Some coach will think that they can rehabilitate him and get him playing at his previous level.

2. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

potential and reality are unfortunately not the same. If this was 2-3 years ago I would agree that Mo Wilkerson could net us a 1 or 2, today we would be lucky to get a 5th. Being cut may be the wake up call he needs to change his ways, but it's pretty clear that the negatives far outweigh the positives with him.

Also, after an off-season where under performing high priced veterans were let go, I would expect Maccagnan to operate under the same pretenses this summer. Wilkerson, fits that characterization and I think these will be the last 4 games he'll be playing in green and white.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  3. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

Actually, I heard Marquise Pouncey will be available in FA? I question if that's actually true, but holy shit would that be an excellent addition if Mac could pull it off.

4. NCJetsfan

The problem with cutting Mo is that it probably increases the chances that the Jets will draft a DE or edge rusher with their 1st pick rather than taking a QB.

5. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Pass rusher is easily one of our top 3 needs.

FJF likes this.
  6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

And a position that tends to go higher in the draft .

grkmanga31 likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

It definitely is, and I wouldn't be unhappy about that, but I know that a number of members of our board would be. They think the #1 pick should be used on offense regardless of position. I pretty much feel that way myself, but have been screaming for an elite pass rusher for over 10 years, so wouldn't be unhappy at all if that's the way the Jets go. If they can't get an elite QB prospect, then an elite edge rusher or LT would be the next best option.

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  8. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Based on what?

9. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

3 years ago Mo was actively shopped and the best offer was a 3rd round pick.
    I never understood the narrative that he was a team leader. He has never shown any leadership. He has had issues with discipline since drafted. The current staff were aware of his bad habits and still offered him his mega deal.
    I'm sure Mac will try to restructure his deal. If he refuses, he will likely be cut and designated as post June 1st.
    His trade value isn't much due to lack of performance and bloated contract.

10. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

Maybe the Jets should hire you. With all the effort your making just on offensive line is impressive.

The question is if Steve Marshall is a good OL coach? Not all OL pair well with each other. Depending on the blocking schemes, some are better suited for some teams than others. As the saying goes, time will tell about Steve Marshall.

11. Beki

Beki Active Member

It's not an issue if we could somehow get Cousins from FA. :D

FJF likes this.
  12. Metstrife

Metstrife Active Member

So many needs on this roster and I agree we need pass rush, QB and OL. Sunday also exposed how much of a need we have at corner as well. I think that position pretty much needs a total rebuild.

Not sold on Cousins

BrowningNagle likes this.
  13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I agree on the corner position and its very frustrating. We go and hire a long time secondary coach as HC, then put so many resources into the position big FA signings and multiple draft picks, and what do we have for it? nothing but terrible corners. so frustrating

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  14. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

With his contract his trade value is pretty much non-existent. At this point I would just cut bait and be done with it. Too much of a headache for a team that's trying to recreate its image

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  15. Metstrife

Metstrife Active Member

Absolutely. I think Claiborne started pretty well but has regressed badly in recent weeks. Skrine has been a penalty machine and whoever decided to give San Francisco a 5th round pick (I think it was a 5th rounder?) for Robinson needs their head examining. We've got to start piling up talent in the skill positions not having to rebuild entire positions like safety and corner. Yes corner is important, but to have nothing really at all in that position after three years is an indictment on Mac in terms of talent acquisition and Bowles for really not developing the players noticeably at all.

16. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Here's my quick sketch of the offseason as I see it now. I don't see why this team can't look a lot better next year, in theory.

RESIGN
    - Josh McCown (1yr only)
    - Quincy Enunwa
    - ASJ
    - Kony Ealy (price essential here; don't overpay)
    - CB Mo Claiborne (price essential here or else get another top CB via free agency)
    - Demario Davis
    - Chandler Catanzaro
    - Depth/Competition for spots: Eric Tomlinson, Brett Qvale, Rontez Miles, Dakota Dozier, Xavier Cooper, Lawrence Thomas, Terrence Brooks, David Bass, Freddie Bishop, Julian Stanford

KEY RELEASES
    - Mo Wilk (post June 1st)
    - Ben Ijalana
    - Matt Forte

Via Draft
    1. QB
    2a. Edge rusher
    2b. CB
    3. RB
    Day 3: LINE HEAVY: need prospects for LT and OG and then for DE and NT

Via Free Agency
    1. Sign starting Center
    2. Sign starting DE
    (3. Starting CB if Claiborne is not back, but possibly an additional mid-tier free agent too if they have lost hope in Burris and or Robinson)

grkmanga31 likes this.
  17. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

No surprise here ..still talking pass rusher and corner when we just got blanked with our “best chance at winning QB”
    This board is bizarre
    No OL??? So what kick the can kick the can
    No FQB?? So what?? Hire Cousins or Hoyer and get me def backs uh yuh
    It’s Groundhog Day year after year after year
    Get used to idea of no SB in 75 years guys

ColoradoContrails and Peebag like this.
  18. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Three step plan for success:

1. New head coach
    2. Sign Cousins and two other quality free agents
    3. Trade down about 10-12 spots in round one and take BPA

19. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

Yea - 2018 off season needs to be a home run. Unfortunately I don't think Macc is up to it.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  20. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Imagine having a brainstorming session with TB? The first half hour would be spent figuring out the meaning of BRnStorm..