2018 FAs: Even With a Ton of Cap Space, Can the Jets Really Do Much Fix the Roster?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Aug 22, 2017.

1. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

I'm sure you knew this was coming ... but drafting Brick and Mangold with our first two picks in 2006 was the smartest thing we did in twenty years. I'm not even saying we need to start them immediately. I'm just saying that if we want to build a good offense it has to start from there. At the minimum, I hope we use our #1 pick on a stud OLman. I'm fine with our WR's, and backs. ASJ looks solid at TE and we'll see about Legget next year. Let's build that OL.

NYJalltheway and FJF like this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yeah, I expected that response, but that was really luck. I hope they sign at least one stud OL from FA, if not two, then drafting another one, That would vastly improve their OL.

tbruner12 and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  3. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I agree it will be an interesting offseason. I hope whomever is making those personnel moves do it better than Macc did in 2015. Crazy money to Revis, Cromartie and I don't know how anyone would give Skrine 40 million and worst he's still on the roster.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

rarely do stud lineman hit the open market

TonyFtLaud and Red Menace like this.
  5. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Okay, I hear ya, and fuck that. Gotta continue with the youth/speed infusion and get some OL help. With Forte gone I'd like to see a high end RB also myself

boozer32 likes this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

That's a good point, but one can hope. I guess they're a lot like QBs: if they're any good no one lets go of them.

boozer32 likes this.
  7. egelband

egelband Well-Known Member

Of all the positions, I think RB has the most parity year-in and year-out. I mean, the difference between a McGuire and a ‘star’ isn’t worth the required cap space. Have a good OL and a good scheme and your running back is fairly interchangeable. Just my two cents. But I’d never spend big on a RB.

8. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Cousins would be a good get but the $ we'd have to invest in him concerns me... we need to add some play makers and O-line help around him in order to have that investment pay off. The question is will we have enough left moving forward in the next year or 2 after signing him to make that push for a championship .

It all comes back to drafting well... we need to uncover some contributors in the mid rounds coming out of the draft so that we don't always need to go on a spending spree in FA that will tie up a lot of cap space.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  9. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I will start first with I like the look of McGuire and he has a future but the required cap space for a monster like Elliott not worth it ?

Ask the cowboys who have just won their first game since his suspension, I would hit the cap space for a draft pick like him, he turns some short dink pass into a 50+ yarder same with the run game, he can just turn a game in an instant, of course he has had a couple of quite games as well, hell he isn't a robot but I damn well wish he was a Jet :(

tbruner12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  10. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Cousins would be a major upgrade but he can't get an equally poor Redskins team over the top and I don't fancy blowing that much cap space with our roster so full of holes. If we can't draft a QB in the first round, I think I'd prefer building the roster through the draft (OL?) and placing someone like Nick Foles under center - for another year in Purgatory.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  11. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

I like McGuire a lot. But watch the Panther game and tell me he can block and protect the QB. He has a long way to go there, and has admitted that himself. Powell can do it, but Powell/McGuire is thin.
    If they don't get better there, and a couple of the young OLinemen, mainly Shell, don't improve, it won't be good enough.
    There is nothing worse than watching a guy be lost because he doesn't understand what to look for and then miss his assignments. See John Connors. Two guys and the breach can't be overcome, it'll kill your team.

12. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I agree the money/cap impact is the real risk in signing Cousins, as he's going to command a lot of guaranteed money.
    All the age concerns and 'win now' concerns I've heard on this board are just window dressing, with no real basis in reality.

I'd hope Mac would approach Cousins like all his other signings, and give the team an out after 2-3 years.
    Front loading the deal (while we have the cap) would be a better use of cap than a large signing bonus (which is spread across the life of contract). That would be best so we aren't locked into the guy forever.

I don't believe the Cousins window is only a year or two to win a championship, so no need to make some sort of immediate championship push.
    Like you said, drafting will still be the key, and I'd hope Oline would become a priority.

NYJFOREVER and FJF like this.
  13. Jersey Joe 67

I wasn't trying to imply Cousins only had a 1-2 year window ... I was saying it will take another year or 2 to fill out this roster to really make us a contender.

Cousins is hitting his prime ... the guys got at least 5 more years of top flight ball in him .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BacktoQueens and Jets69 like this.
  14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm glad to hear that you don't see any need to make an immediate championship push. I believe that would put you in the minority here, however. If the Jets sign Cousins, I think that most the board would be expecting big things next year. In the end, however, it doesn't make any difference what we fans think. It only matters what the Johnson's expectations are and what they think. We know that Woody has been very unhappy that the team hasn't been to the playoffs in a long time. If he shells out a ton of money to sign Cousins, I think his patience with the rebuild would end.

The age concerns are totally valid. Just because a few other elite QBs have been able to keep playing at a high level into late in their 30s doesn't mean that Cousins will. To have no concerns or think that isn't a possibility is irrational.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  15. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

cousins is still a long way from "late in his 30's" he is 29 now. to be worried about 7-8 years from now is borderline paranoia

TonyFtLaud and Walt White like this.
  16. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

If Mac can't get Cousins, Bridgewater might be worth a gamble.

Negatives: Hasn't played a snap since 2015, so no one knows where he is with his development; similarly, no one knows how his knee will hold up; past success relied on a rhythm passing game

Positives: Should be cheap on a prove-it deal; high character, work ethic guy; lots of potential at 26; did I mention his services should be cheap?

Just a thought.

17. Jersey Joe 67

This has been my fear, actually... no way I want Bridgewater QB'ing this team when all the dust settles.

18. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

IIf they sign Cousins, the Jets could go LT with the first pick and then the top C with one of the second rounders. Then go RB with the other one.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  19. BacktoQueens

Yes, we are 4-7 right now, and it's not like the QB play has been bad. It's actually been decent to good.
    So I don't see how adding Cousins makes us an immediate contender.
    We'd still be a young team with holes a lot of positions.

It would also eat up a lot of cap, so we can't just go out and sign a bunch of other expensive FA's.
    That's why I don't think we'd be in any win now mode.
    The draft would still be the key for this team, as it should be.

Bringing on Cousins does give us a top level QB in his prime to build around though, and it would free up our top picks to fill other holes.
    I don't see the age as an issue, as he's in his prime for the position. A good 5 year competitive window would be very realistic.

#199 BacktoQueens, Dec 3, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
    FJF likes this.
  20. BacktoQueens

If we got Cousins in FA, and either McGlinchey (OT) or Quentin Nelson (OG) in round 1 it would be amazing for this team.

I'd love to double down with a C or RB also.
    Wouldn't rule out drafting a QB in round 2 or 3 either, as this draft is deep with QB prospects and some interesting ones may drop.

boozer32 and Mario like this.