2017 Season PSA: Professional athletes will not try to lose

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Aug 31, 2017.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

A quick PSA before the season begins...

I think everyone that supports the Jets is in favor of tanking and getting the best pick possible. Hell the front office is making it clear that's what the goal is. But for the love of god, if/when the Jets win games, do not bitch about how dumb the team is for winning.

Tanking does not exist in a locker room. When you're a veteran playing for your next contract or a UDFA playing for your ONLY contract or if you have any sense of pride whatsoever, you are giving 110% every gameday (leave the hacky Mo jokes to Manish please). To ask a professional athlete to try and lose is asinine, and expecting them to abide is even more asinine. Don't be asinine.

Anyone fighting for their livelihood does not give two craps what you want. Any team looking to fill out their roster isn't going to look at a guy giving 50% on any given play and think "eh it's ok, the Jets were tanking, let's bring him on board!". That's not how the real world works.

On a team with so many young, unproven guys, there's going to be max effort given on most plays. Sometimes that's going to result in wins, most times it won't. But when it does, don't be a moron. For your sake, but mostly for the sake of everyone else that has to scroll past your post.

2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Lucky for the tank crowd, the talent should be able to overcome the effort

3. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

I'm sure the players will try their best. The administration however has been making sure the tank is going forward the entire off season.

4. BroadwayAaron

And this is what I hope people remember. The front office is trying to tank without saying they are tanking (because you can't). The front office also can't tell players to stop trying.

5. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I don't think anybody thinks the players will tank and those wanting the number one pick also do not want to see us beaten on a weekly basis by 30+ points because if that is the case then we are miles off completing any kind of rebuilding, keeping games down to lose by a score or two if the youth of the future are showing enough promise is okay with me.

6. BroadwayAaron

Agreed. I actually hate the concept of tanking because as you offload talent, you're just making it harder on the back end to build. I'd much prefer to lose in tight games with talent ready to turn it on next season when we have ourselves a QB. It doesn't work like that unfortunately.

K'OB likes this.
  7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

last year most of the players quit without being told to. At least now the front office is on board.

It will be similar to last season in that half the players will just go through the motions by like week 8. With the front office on board this year the talent is worse so that will result in less wins. We will have lots of injuries because people will be put on the IR instead of rushing them back when they normally would.

and we'll still have people trying to say they aren't tanking or that we are bad fans if we don't want to tank properly.. which is stupid

--

speaking of tanking for next year's draft. Tulsa @ Oklahoma State tonight on FS1, time to check out Mason Rudolph

#7 BrowningNagle, Aug 31, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  8. BroadwayAaron

Last year you had a lot of vets who didn't need to reps and film. Marshall, Harris, Revis, etc. That's a lot different than guys playing for their next and potentially only contract. It's gonna take a lot to convince guys like Anderson, Peake, Adams, Maye, Burris, etc. to give any less than 100%

9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Or maybe the lack of talent in both the players and the HC and GM will be able to overcome the effort.