2017 QBs

Discussion in 'Draft' started by jetfannerd, Oct 5, 2016.

1. SonofDinger

SonofDinger Well-Known Member

By "tank", I just meant I expect another miserable season for 2017 no matter who is the QB. That's all. I certainly don't expect it to be an organizational decision.

2. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

OK, but you have to realize that Mac and Bowles are going to do everything in their power to put a winning team on the field. It's their job.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  3. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

So if we compare the lists looking for consensus:

Garrett is top 2 on all 3. - DE/OLB
    Allen is top 3 on all 3. - DE
    Adams is top 7 on all 3. - SS
    Cook is top 8 on all 3. - RB
    Fournette is top 9 on all 3. - RB
    Foster is top 10 on all 3. - ILB

Peppers is top 5 on 2.- SS/OLB
    Tabor is top 8 on 2. - CB
    M. Williams is top 10 on 2. - WR

6 guys making all 3 top 10 lists & 3 making 2 of the 3 top 10 lists. The rest make only one of the 3 top 10 lists. That's a pretty accurate current assessment of the talent tiers. What's interesting is that RB, SS & ILB is prevalent in that group, but typically a relatively devalued position. That likely elevates Tabor & M. Williams up a bit on draft day.

4. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

not sure RB should be on the jets radar early on in the draft. BJ powell had some nice performances and IMO, earned the starting position. Not saying we shouldn't draft one, but lets wait until at least rounds 3-4.

Matty Jets likes this.
  5. jilozzo

FWIW - the top pick at 6 should be either LB, safety (me thinks its a bit high but who knows), OL, and QB.
    don't think QB or OL validates a #6 pick this year so get ready for defense folks.

6. jilozzo

if things remain generally the same as far as rankings go, the jets will be in the same #6 position waiting for a top 5 player to slip a bit. this years "lap fallers" are likely to be DE/OLB's or safety which is good. The only thing we have to be careful about is, how and if, these DE guys like allen and thomas translate to OLB at this level.

the last thing in the world we need if for the jets to get saddle with another high round DE who cannot set the edge.

NYJetsO12 and SonofDinger like this.
  7. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Speaking of bootleg Cam Newtons.

Name: Jerod Evans
    Height: 6′ 4″
    Weight: 236 lbs
    JUCO Transfer

Freddy Mondo and Richiebsweet like this.
  8. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

I'm warming up to Kizer, I think I was looking at him the wrong way. I was trying to see the garbage Cam Newton comparison and it turned me off when I first watched him because he's nothing like him at all.

Someone else compared him to Jameis and I liked him infinitely better when I tried to envision him as a pocket passer that can also run.

almbleamal and BigSnacks54 like this.
  9. Big Cat

Don't let anyone tell you this QB class isn't good. Kizer-Mahomes-Trubisky-Watson is as good of a top 4 since 2012. Take one, I don't care which.

KurtTheJetsFan and westiedog1 like this.
  10. Big Cat

Speaking of that garbage comp, here it is again!

11. BigSnacks54

BigSnacks54 Well-Known Member

He's on the Jameis/Eli Manning spectrum for me. Can be wildly erratic times , especially in the accurate department, but generally poised under pressure with incredibly high peaks. The footwork needs cleaning up, but he can be a top 12 starter in the league IMO. He's good enough where you can envision him getting hot at the right time ala Flaco or ELi 2011 and lead you to a SB.

almbleamal likes this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Based on what we've seen/know, all four would be better than what the Jets have now, or can be expected to have with a FA/trade.

westiedog1 and BigSnacks54 like this.
  13. BrooklynJet97

BrooklynJet97 Active Member

Ive surprisingly warmed up to each QB after watching some tape. I think Trubisky is the definitive #1 based on the film ive watched. Hes poised, steps up in the pocket, makes multiple reads and makes good solid throws. His only knock is the system hes played in, "Experience" and his inability to throw in the rain.

14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Powell and Forte are both likely to be gone in 2018. Powell might make it work at 30 since he didn't have a lot of wear and tear earlier in his career but I am betting if the Jets give him 200+ carries he breaks down. He's never had more than 176 in a season.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  15. Br4d

The biggest knock to me is that he's only started one season and he's coming out as a Junior. That suggests that he thinks he has no chance to be a 1st rounder in next year's draft. If that's the case he definitely should not be a 1st rounder this year.

NCJetsfan and NYJetsO12 like this.
  16. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

Not necessarily true, but it is worth noting that the top names that can declare for next years draft include guys like Darnold, Rosen, Rudolph, Browning, Allen and Falk. If you get a first round grade from the Advisory Committee would you rather test your chances against Watson, Kizer and Mahomes or those guys? It's not about who's the best, it's about who the NFL GMs THINK is the best, and as you know opinions are all over the place this time of year.

17. jilozzo

agree....but I still lean towards a non-RB in rounds 1 and 2. With the current roster - cook or fournette are not going to make a difference.

strongly lean toward a non RB......I still recall blair Thomas in 1990 at #2. ugh. we had so many holes to fill at the time and I wanted cortez kennedy over anyone else. defense of course.

#177 jilozzo, Mar 3, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
    Br4d likes this.
  18. Br4d

Yeah, taking a RB in the 4th or 5th round works if you're willing to have him be part of the solution instead of the "it" guy in your attack. Powell is living proof of that.

19. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I still recall John Riggins in 1971 at #6, Freeman McNeil in 1981 at #3. Not bad picks.

20. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

OMG Westie how OLD are we???

ROFL

Big Rig and Freeman 2 of my favorites ..sigh