2017 QBs

Discussion in 'Draft' started by jetfannerd, Oct 5, 2016.

1. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

Yes mcneil right after LT. Oh the pain.

2. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I'm old! I go back a looooooooong way. In fact, I knew Abner Doubleday when his name was Singleday!

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You are mistaken, westie. It's not Mac's job to just put a winning team on the field next season. If it was, you can bet he wouldn't be releasing all these older veterans. It's Mac's job to build the team into a sustainable winner. Continuing to do the same things in order to try to "win" that season is what got the Jets into the mess they're in now.

Bowles is probably wanting to do everything he can to win this season, but I hope that Mac tells him to STFU, be grateful for the players he gets, and that he'd better do the coaching job of his life (including holding players accountable, having the team prepared to play each week, doing a better job managing the game and the clock, and making adjustments) if he wants to keep his job.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

What's to say the Jets would have taken LT if he was there. Even if they had, if we'd gotten LT he probably would have never become the player he did. He'd have overdosed on Cocaine or had to go into rehab rather than playing football, and McNeil would have stayed healthy and been a HOFer.

5. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I was responding to a poster who said the Jets should lose every game ("tank" to use his words.) Whichever route Mac takes, whether upgrading the team or rebuilding (which appears to be the way he's going), the Jets will try to win every game they play. Also wrote that response before it was clear which direction he was going. I heard an interview with Mike Smith after he was fired from Atlanta. He said it was important for a GM/HC to manage expectations with ownership which he said he failed to do. With a rebuild under way, the expectations for the season have to be different than if he kept the core of the team. It's still Mac's job to put a winning team on the field, but the expectation has to be that it won't be this season and ownership has to be cognizant of that.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Kizer ran a 4.83

"Cam Newton" LOL

The guy is a pocket passer that can run, and a pretty decent one. Whoever came up with that stupid comparison was looking solely at his height weight and skin color.

7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Kizer looked pretty good, I have to admit.

Still, what was the problem this year in actual games? I still prefer Mahomes or Watson, but Kizer is better than what we currently have.

8. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

The theory by one scout/annalist that a team should draft a QB every year till they find 'their man'.... so we expect that from a team that committed a 2nd round and a 4th pick the last 2 years? That's basing it on what the newly drafted QB does the very first year because once you commit to that reasoning, you pretty much will be tossing away the picks the previous year. So, who will the Jets toss in 2017 if you don't even know how successful the one newly drafted is? I've never seen a team follow this method. Please point out a team if I'm over looking one.

This theory bites, imo.

9. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

My feeling after watching the combine and some other videos is that Watson is the only QB worth taking at the top of the first round. I'd be disappointed if the Jets took any of the others in the first.

I really like Mahomes but Rd 2 or later.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

10. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Never judge a QB based on his combine workouts. Playing catch with WR's doesn't prove anything. Biggest mistake a team will ever make.

Freddy Mondo and NYJetsO12 like this.
  11. xxedge72x

I'm not a scout. Just a fan giving the eye test.

12. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Plus a 100

Someone posted I think it was RUFan that Bowlles was early on manipulating Mac

I hope Mike gets even with the HC going forward cause while MM has a poor batting average so far I just cant stomach TBs personality and fake coaching...hope HE is minused with the rebuild it would be another good move imo

13. Big Cat

I'm doing a complete 180 on this because it was such a shitty opinion. DeShone Kizer is a franchise QB and a top 5 pick. Prototype body, high character, arm strength, good pocket movement, always moving his feet, goes through progressions. At first I tried seeing him as some elite athleticism player and that just isn't who he is. He's a million miles closer to Winston than he is to Newton.

Trubisky and Watson are the safe picks, they'll manage games for you if you have a good team around them. They'll stay within the system and get the ball into your playmakers' hands. Those are the Dalton/Alex Smith types that will stick around as your "franchise QB" and make you look smart, but they won't be transformative players.

Mahomes and Kizer can be that type of quarterback. Maybe they bust and get you fired, but maybe they're the next big thing in this league. I'd take a shot on either of them.

And I like all 4 of these guys a ton better than I liked Hackenberg.

14. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I've heard mostly positive things about Kizer, but the nagging question is: What happened this year with him?

15. xxedge72x

I disagree about Trubisky being a safe pick. He doesn't have enough experience to be considered safe. In my view he's the definition of high risk potentially high reward.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

16. Big Cat

I meant it more as in his ceiling as a player. I don't think he has the physical skill set to ever become a top level player, but he can be a very good game manager. "Safe" implies he has a high floor, which probably wasn't the best word choice.

17. Big Cat

Start this at 1:24. It's a good example of how confused NFL people are gonna be when they watch Mahomes' tape because of how deadest they are in their beliefs of how QBs should play. I love it.

18. Big Cat

I think it's interesting that most people have come to a consensus that Trubisky and Watson are 1 and 2 in some order.

Right now I'm at:

1). Mahomes
    2). Kizer

3). Trubisky
    4). Watson

5). Peterman
    6). Webb

19. xxedge72x

Why are you so down on Watson?

20. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Weak arm and he is a turn over machine. Great college QB, huge ? in the pros.