2017 Playoffs Thread

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by Yisman, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

98 pitches in game 3 and he brings him in on two days rest.

I feel like it's happening way more this year than in years past where these managers are getting extremely brazen with throwing these guys on short rest. Maybe it's always like this.

But not everyone is Josh Beckett or Madison Bumgarner.

For all of the safety concerns everyone has for pitchers in the regular season they just expect these guys to throw completely out of their normal routine and power their way through because 'it's the playoffs.'

If you're going to try to give this shit a shot in the playoffs maybe give it a try in the regular season so you know what you're gonna fricken get.

2. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

And it's game 5 of the NLDS, not game 7 of the WS. You still need him in the next round if you make it. It's just not sound decision making.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  3. Jonathan_Vilma

I actually had that written that he burned out his ace if they advance, but didn't want to hear from someone that it doesn't matter if you don't get there.

Terrible decision making. Same thing with Francona going with a three man rotation in a five game series. He was really that scared of the Yankees to throw Clevinger out there?

They don't have the bullpen we have, but they still have their two inning monster in Andrew Miller who seemingly never gets tired.

Hoping Joe doesn't follow suit and sticks with at the very least a four-man rotation.

Gray-Severino-Tanaka-CC and make sure Tanaka is only pitching at home which we should be able to help. Need to get length out of Severino and Tanaka assuming Gray and CC only go 5-6.

As @Dierking said, need to get some other relievers going. Have to be able to use Warren. Can't just go Kahnle, Robertson for 2 and Chapman for 2. In fact I don't want to see Chapman throwing 2 the rest of the playoffs.

4. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

What was the point of having Holliday on the ALDS squad?

5. Jonathan_Vilma

So he was as cold as possible for the ALCS.

The pregame/post game crew on FS1 is just awful. A-Rod is a solid analyst when he's not trying to match David Ortiz's stupid goofy attitude. Frank Thomas doesn't contibute a ton either.

Too much reminiscing going on.

Football and basketball do the pre game post game thing way better. Guys like Boomer, Phil Simms, Bart Scott, and Shannon Sharpe (as dopey as they can be) may not be the greatest analysts around but they're not referencing game after game after game from 2004 and what not.

I understand this crew is new to it. But they're a bit unwatchable.

6. Jonathan_Vilma

Tanaka came to ball tonight. He'll be fine if he keeps the ball down. First inning, tons of ground balls right at the middle infielders. It's when his splitter splits too early and doesn't have that late diving movement that he gets in trouble.

7. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Is this Smoltz? I hate this asshole.

Royal Tee likes this.
  8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

E4 could open up a big inning

9. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

This guy has been calling low strikes all night..dafuq!

10. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

11. Royal Tee

My god this SZ again is atrocious!!

12. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

Apparently judges strike zone includes ankles

Royal Tee likes this.
  13. Royal Tee

We gotta do something bout that DH spot...I need a drink..fuk that..a toke.
    Let's take the next 3 fellas.

14. Jonathan_Vilma

Didn't understand pinch hitting Ellsbury last night. Cold off the bench all night to face a closer throwing nearly 100mph with a nasty slider.

I also didn't like throwing Green for 2 and KOing him for today. But I can live with that as he saved everyone else so it's not the end of the world.

He just really doesn't want to give Holliday a chance. Dude hasn't hit for 2 weeks. He was due for a bad game last night. Headley HAS been in the lineup for the past two weeks, he's been awful and he's back in it today.

Sometimes I wish we still had Beltran to DH. A huge Yankee fan friend of mine told me that Beltran helped Didi develop immensely.

Holliday's pedigree shouldn't be ignored. He does have an NLCS MVP award....

He also has a good eye and can string together good atbats even if he gets out. .079 points higher OBP than batting average for his career.

Gotta get the pitch count up on Verlander today and get into that bullpen that is likely without Giles today.

Gardner starting off well here wasting pitches as he always does. I can live with that strikeout being an 8 pitch atbat.

#134 Jonathan_Vilma, Oct 14, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  15. Jonathan_Vilma

Judge waving at pitches is driving me nuts. How do you keep him in the 2-hole?!??

Hopefully the strike zone is better today than it's been the past two games. Wide open.

Call me crazy but it'd be cool to see Torreyes get a shot at the DH spot. I know Joe wants to keep him as a pinch runner (worked out well against the Indians), or defensive replacement (for who though??), but he's clutch and gets on base at a solid clip and is a contact hitter.

#135 Jonathan_Vilma, Oct 14, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  16. Jonathan_Vilma

Guess I'm talking to myself her eyes. Gardner just committed a cardinal sin of baseball.

Never make the first or third out at 3rd. With the meat of the order coming up nonetheless that was an awful play that they got a perfect relay on.

17. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Listening to the third base coach isn't a cardinal sin.

The strike zone for Verlander is bigger than a whale.

And that kid just handed Detroit a home run.

18. Jonathan_Vilma

Houston, not Detroit.

Whether it was the third base coach or Gardner that's a poor baseball play. You're taught that rule at a very young age, to never get thrown out when you're already in scoring position.

I remember getting yelled at when I was a young lad for doing that very same thing.

Still no love for Adam Warren, but Kahnle just pitched a solid inning.

19. Royal Tee

That was a HR.. no doubt but Judge should have met the ball there instead of tracking it.. he could have EASILY caught it.

I have been on Gardner's ass sine day 1 of becoming a FTP. He's never aggressive with his speed !! that said,
    Sending him to 3rd was a mistake add to it that he looked content with a double because he knew the risk of going to 3rd but that doesn't mean you coast to 1st ..they both fk'd up.

and Last, THIS FUKN STRIKE ZONE has been so horrid that even the announcer said it hasn't been fair to the Yankees...That's a 1st for me to hear but we have been saying it for a few days now.
    absolutely HORRENDOUS disparity between the strikezones.

20. Royal Tee

Kahnle has been absolute FILTH!!! Nice!