2017 General Manager and Head Coach Confidence Poll

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ChrebetCrunch, Sep 4, 2017.

?

What is your confidence level of our GM and HC?

1. I have complete confidence in Mike Maccagnan and Todd Bowles

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  2. I have NO confidence in Mike Maccagnan and Todd Bowles

19 vote(s)
    19.6%
  3. I have complete confidence in Mac, but not Bowles

9 vote(s)
    9.3%
  4. I have complete confidence in Bowles, but not Mac

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I am cautiously confident in Mac and Bowles

9 vote(s)
    9.3%
  6. I am cautiously confident in Mac, but NOT with Bowles

41 vote(s)
    42.3%
  7. I am cautiously confident in Bowles, but NOT with Mac

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  8. I don't know how I feel about Mac and Bowles.

6 vote(s)
    6.2%
  9. I don't know how I feel about Mac, but not confident with Bowles

11 vote(s)
    11.3%
  10. I don't know how I feel about Bowles, but not confident with Mac

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Bowles has proven his ineptiness with his in game decision making.

Outside of being outright horrible, like Idzik, it's not so easy to evaluate a GM so quickly like you can with a coach, so for me there is still uncertainty about Mac.

2. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

For whatever it is worth I have always thought Todd Bowles is/was in way over his head. He is probably a good company man who the players like and who laughs at all of Woody's jokes, but he seems to me to fail as a head coach. He makes very few adjustments in games, he is poor on challenges/strategy, he does not instill any urgency in players, and every time he opens his mouth at his grinning press conferences he says something stupid like excusing players being late because "not every one has an alarm clock." Let's hope the clock strikes 12 on you this year, Todd.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. Chrisiue

Chrisiue Well-Known Member

If McCagnan took a player in the second round last year who was contributing in any way he would have very little heat on him, unfortunately as long as Hack looks lost McCagnan will have constant heat while it looks like they wasted the pick.
    As far as Bowles if the team sucks at the beginning of the year and does not show improvement in performance along with hustle problems, send him packing.
    Not only is this important but if he lets them suck during a game and does not bench people, adjust from his own incompetent gameplan then get rid of him as soon as they can.

4. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

I'll bet they play hard. However, when they're outmatched by better talent and get their asses kicked it won't look good, especially over extended games. Bowles needs to show better game management, obviously, but just what exactly is he working with here?

If Mac, Bowles, and Woody actually have a plan, and are actually on the same page moving forward we may see this HC next year. If that's not the case, Bowles would be the least culpable here.
    If these draft picks don't start at least showing that the roster is starting to get better during the season you're talking an extended period of lousy drafts piling up now and this team isn't going anywhere anytime soon. And how could anybody have confidence that they'll do anything to get the team over the hump at that point.

Bowles would be better off getting the fuck outta here. Right now I would take him in heartbeat over Woody and Mac any way you slice it. Bowles has actually accomplished things in the NFL and has had a successful career in that league. Can you say that about those other two? No. At least Bowles has the fraternity of the coaches and players that he kind find refuge in.

#24 Walt White, Sep 5, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
    TwoHeadedMonster and FJF like this.
  5. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

It's tough to have one of the worst teams in history (1000 to 1 odds in Vegas). And in the same breath, blame the coach when they don't win.

I don't think you can justify firing one without the other.

Im either giving both one more year, or firing both.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

6. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I don't think there's a single coach in the NFL except maybe Belichick who could have a winning season with this roster. OTOH we know Bowles can have a winning season if you give him a good team. Of course Mac doesn't want a winning roster, but it's his fault for putting the team in such a bad position that he has to tank the season.

FJF likes this.
  7. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Hey now... Macc has only had what... 3 years to prep for this?

8. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I have no problems putting some of the blame on Mac, let's not forget that Bowles was the one who fired everyone on his coaching staff with the exception of his buddy Kacy Rodgers.

He probably holds the record for most TO never used before the half as well, his challenges are atrocious.

The players that were given to Bowles may have not developed because he did such a bad job of hiring good assistants, that was not on Mac.

Hiring an OC who does not believe in TE was TB doing. It could be that there is plenty of blame to go around and Bowles is just as guilty as Mac.

I would not absolve Bowles completely.

9. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Based on the poll nobody absolves Bowles completely. The point is there are some posters who think Mac has done a good job and Bowles is terrible. IMO they're wrong.

10. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Fine. But there's isn't a HC ever that hasn't made mistakes and had to go through growing pains. All HC's make sideline blunders, all of them . It's not easy. When Belichick was in Cleveland they practically ran him out of town.

But Mac and Woody change up on their plan, change the roster and it's Bowles not developing guys now. I disagree. There's an amount of development with players of course, but that takes time and it's up to the player. You have to have the right player. There's a vast wasteland of cut players in NFL land that just weren't good enough. Who exactly is Bowles supposed to be developing here? A guy like Mauldin sucks and that Bowles' fault, nah. And why wouldn't he be able to do it? This guys been a top player, a champion, and a coach for a long time, but this BS team is his fault? Not buying that.

What TE were they supposed to use? Amaro. I suppose it Bowles' fault he got cut again.That's a myth that Gailey doesn't believe in TE's anyway. But they got close in '15 anyway by pounding Ivory. When the load got bigger for Fitz in'16 it didn't work, and the roster wasn't as good either. The personnel got changed up

I'm not absolving Bowles of anything, but he didn't make these rosters and this shit team is not on him. It's on Woody and Mac. I really wonder now if there's any kind real plan and if they're even equipped to carry it out. "Oh, tank and get a QB". Yeah okay :rolleyes: Wake me up when that happens. Fuckin Bowles is the only professional I've seen associated with this fucking team in seven years and people have him all figured out as some dolt idiot.

#30 Walt White, Sep 5, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
    TwoHeadedMonster and FJF like this.
  11. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

I have zero confidence in either, honestly. If this draft produces 3 or 4 good players, I might change my attitude on Macc.

12. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Is the coach bad because of the players or is the team bad because of the coach?

The former? Fire the GM
    The latter? Fire the Coach
    Little bit of both? Fire them both.

13. Cman68

I think we need to lower the bar on this draft even further. I'll take 2 out of a possible 8 assuming Macc doesn't package our extra 2nd rounder. At least Macc will be batting .250 which is enough to keep him around for perhaps one more year ONLY. Bowles otoh, is and should be a goner.

14. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

We cannot make the same mistake we did with Rex and Idzik. Either they both gotta go at end of year or Mac has to be given a chance to hire his own HC and they both get 3 years. The worst possible scenario would be firing Bowles this year and then Mac next.

Right now I'm convinced Bowles needs to go, the sooner the better, not as convinced Mac does. His draft picks will tell the story on him.

15. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

We've given defensive head coaches terrible offenses and yet somehow blame them.

16. Cman68

We blame them because of their insistence on drafting defense early and often.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Learning and making mistakes as a HC is fine, I know those things happen, but I don't remember a HC firing his whole staff with the exception of his friend. He should have told the FO that they got the jets to a 10-6 record with that staff and he had confidence in them to get team back there.

I don't think Bowles is some dolt idiot, I just don't think he is a good HC. If you choose to ignore his handling of this team as a whole, for the past couple of years thats on you.

His insistence on playing Sheldon out of position, his stubbornness in keeping Fitzpatrick as the starter even though everyone on this board knew it was time to make the change and let Petty start his development.

His lack of in game adjustments, lack of timeouts used before the half, his stubbornness in using Revis as a man to man defender even though Revis couldn't do it anymore.

These are all scheme based issues and decisions that a HC has to make based on personnel and their ability or lack thereof.

It's not rocket science, anyone who has spent 20 years in the nfl should know the basics at minimum.

I don't want this team to tank for a QB, I want them to stick to the plan to build through the draft and get better as the players that are drafted are developed and establish a good foundation.

However with any plan, there needs to be adjustments, if part of that plan is to get rid of TB and bring in an offensive minded HC to help with the rebuild that's fine as well.

As far as Bowles being the only professional associated with the jets, Mac is a professional as well, he is going to make mistakes as a GM just like all GMs do, we can use the same reasoning and apply it to both Mac and Todd, and while I have no problems admitting that he has not drafted well, this years draft seems to be a good one.

Walt, we are going to live with one more year of these two guys, I'm hoping that it's not as bad as it looks, but if this team goes 2-14 or 1-15 I'm sure changes will be made, whether it's both or just one of them. I don't think jets ownership will allow this team to come back in 2018 with the same administration.

18. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

That's on the gm

19. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

But again is that on the coach?

Macc came from Houston and they went defense almost all the time in the first round.

FJF likes this.
  20. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

I'm on the fence about Mac? Besides Leo, IMO his drafting is horrible besides? However, this years draft I actually have a lot of optimism about? IMO, his future should hang on how well these rookies do because it looks like he's getting nothing out of every other player.

I would have already fired Toilet. He sucks in every important aspect of coaching........