2017 Draft - What Could Have Been

Discussion in 'Draft' started by James Hasty, May 7, 2017.

1. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I just wanted to share some thoughts on our latest draft.

While I am excited to see what our first round pick can do to revitalize our defense I do not think our overall draft was any better than average when looking at the picks and performance of all 32 teams this year. While we did not do that badly or make any huge reaches some very good players fell below their projected slots and our failure to take advantage of the opportunity to draft those players could set out rebuild back at least a year.

There is a lot to be said for Jamal Adams and there is also a lot to be said about trading down from # 6 and getting more picks / players. As Adams looks like the safest player in the draft aside from Garret I will start this thread by assuming that Adams was the right call and looking at what we did afterwards.

While I strongly disagree that a professional football team needs to consist of choir boys I will also start this thread with the assumption that some very talented players including Reuben Foster, Joe Mixon, and Dalvin Cook were not on our board even though I believe that they should have been.

With all of that being said, two extremely talented players (on offense no less) almost fell into our laps. Trading up a couple of spots with our second and third picks could have radically improved our draft class and the rebuild of this team.

Forrest Lamp played tackle in college but is projected as possibly the best interior offensive lineman in this entire draft. Not only does he project as a pro bowl guard but many believe that he can be an amazing center as well. Only one pick before ours the Chargers selected this excellent and versatile player. The safety we took may be a nice player but we already have Adams, Pryor, and Miles. If we only moved up a couple spots he could have been ours. Even if we had to sacrifice the second of our third round picks we could have gotten other considerations (picks, players, etc.).

Alvin Kamara had an amazing performance at the NFL combine. He also had a great career with the film to prove it. Equally gifted as a runner and pass catcher, Kamara could be as good or better than any of the top RBs in this draft. He is a bit raw and needs to learn to make better decisions but this guy could have been the next Jamal Charles and we sat on our thumbs while the Saints moved up three spots ahead of us (for almost nothing) the get him,

What did we do with the round three pick when our turn came? We gave it to the Vikings and took a wide receiver with their pick. Again, Stewart looks like a nice player but we could have had so much more.

When our comp pick (that could have been used to move up in rounds two AND three) came up we traded down again. Looking at the entire draft, here are the picks we obtained by moving back (more than once):

Round four - 35th pick (compensatory) - Chad Hansen
    Round five - 38th pick (compensatory) - Dylan Donahue
    Round six - 4th pick - We gave up our own pick 7th in round six - Elijah Mcguire
    Round six - 13th pick - Jeremy Clark
    Round six - 20th pick - We gave up our seventh round pick 6th in round seven - Derrick Jones

Had we moved up in round two let's say that the following trade would have worked:

Jets give
    Pick # 39 (used for Marcus Maye)
    Pick # 70 (traded down, took Ardarius Stewart)
    Pick # 107 (traded down)

Jaguars give
    Pick # 35 - Forrest Lamp OC/OG
    Pick # 68 - Alvin Kamara RB
    Pick # 148 (Round five) - players available Desmond King S, DaMontee Kazee CB, DJ Jones DT, Shelton Gibson WR, Anthony Walker Jr LB, Noah Brown WR
    Pick # 187 (Round six) - DJ Jones DT, Noah Brown WR

We could still have used our own fifth rounder to take Jordan Legget TE where we did.

If we had been more aggressive about getting Lamp / Kamara or even moving back up into round one I think we could have a better core of players to build around.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

I completely agree that the whole chior boy mentality is complete nonsense. There is not a team in this league, or any professional sports league that does not have players with past history. I'm sure the group demanding choir boys have their own past transgressions in life too. The funny thing about them is they will rally to sign a FA with history if they think he's a good player, or praise a player all ready on the roster with that same history if they believe he is talented.
    Mixon was reportedly off our board, Cook and Foster we're on the board and Cook was in discussion at the time of the round 2 pick and would have likely been taken if avail round 3. ( The holier than thou group will have a field day with this.....)
    Mac did try to trade back in round 1 and to trade up in round 2 but it didn't work out.
    There were a lot of players in this draft who fell much lower than the draft gurus predicted, all 32 teams passed on them, not just Mac.
    Saying Kamara could have been the next Jamal Charles is a bit of a stretch. Hell Hansen could be the next Dez Bryant. Kamara has several red flags, multiple knee surgeries the biggest, coupled with getting kicked out of high school, and getting kicked out of Alabama. With his talent, his transgressions must have been severe , looking at the prospects from Bama this year, multiple arrest,gun charges, multiple failed drug tests don't even earn a suspension so what could he have done to get kicked off the team? I know he had 2 suspensions prior to getting kicked out of Bama but Saban never said why he was suspended. Only it was being handled in house.
    This comparison and who could have been drafted is too premature. Let's hope that in 3-4 years from now, other teams fans are looking back thinking, damn we past on the players Mac selected. It's really way to early to know anything about the players drafted this year. There will be plenty of busts , surprise stars , and some great college players who find themselves out of the league in a few short years.

NYJetsO12 and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Lamp and Kamara could've been good additions, but I think this topic lacks a full view on the 2nd to 4th rounds.

I really do think Mac missed out on getting an EDGE rusher in this draft, and perhaps solidifying the center position as there were numerous prospects to be had in those rounds. The Maye pick is going to be under a microscope big time.

4. James Hasty

I did mention the idea of moving back up into the first. There were some very good edge rushers available among other positions.

A pass rusher or a CB could have also been had in round two or three.

Like I said we got nice players but I strongly believe that had we been more aggressive we could have gotten better, game changing players.

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Only a clueless tool like you would call players with high character "choir boys" and think it bad to have players with high character on the team. They can be counted on when the chips are down and won't embarrass the team like low-life thugs will. Using what other teams do as a rationale shows your stupidity. Just because they're willing to sell their souls to win doesn't mean that we should. I guess you're a lemming, and just do what others do and can't think for yourself. Your comments reveal a LOT about who you are.

For the record, the Jets currently have players on their roster who have "histories" in Richardson and ASJ, and there may be others. There's a difference between making a mistake out of youthful immaturity or stupidity, and quite another when there is a pattern of bad behavior and when players hang out with gang bangers and/or people of bad character.

Foster may have been on the Jets draft board, but I don't believe that Cook was, especially not on your say-so without any documentation or proof.

Don't speak for others. You have no idea about our histories or what/who we would rally for.

6. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

We have no clue who was taken off the Jet's draft board, it's just speculation and assumptions.

Overall, I'm happy with our selections, I think Maye was a steal in Rd 2, he could have been selected at the end of Rd 1 and IMO, Jets finally got a great 2nd round player.

Second guessing and Monday morning QBing our selections is a waste of time, let's give these players a chance. Was it a perfect draft, no, but playing should've, could've, would've is pointless.

One last point, if we traded out of #6 and didn't take Adams I would have been livid. We got a top 3 player at #6.

7. James Hasty

It is a long off-season and it will be months until we see what these guys can do on the field.

You say there is no point in playing should've / could've but I would argue that doing so is the entire purpose of the draft forum.

If our front office felt that we are backed into a corner, gloves are off, and no one is off of the draft board what we could have had would include Reuben Foster, Joe Mixon, etc. making our actual draft look even worse. I made to assumption to simplify to comparison to available players with little or no baggage.

8. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I understand your POV, no disrespect, I just think it's pointless, different strokes for different folks. I get your point about baggage, that has some merit for comparing. I not 100% thrilled with this draft, I wanted a CB earlier in this draft, is my only second guessing, but I'm willing to give it a chance.

I use the draft forum more for talking about potential draft picks, value of players, and how it will effect the Jets. I try not to look back second guess every move the Jets make. I think we have 3 starters (3 WR set) from opening day and 2 more future starters.

9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

4, legget can beat out asj.
    as to the o.p., i have a hard time criticizing trades up or down that weren't made. just hard to do without knowing exactly what was be offered and requested.

James Hasty likes this.
  10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I had no issues with the trading down but I will need to question that Maye pick as there were some really good pass rushers available. This was an underrated class.

Ravens got 2 studs, I really like the Tyrus Bowser pick. I just hope Maye is as good as everyone says.

James Hasty likes this.
  11. James Hasty

You and me both brother.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  12. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Hasty called them Choir Boys NC..so you better jump on his case too

Hahaha

13. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Interesting scenarios and yes we got no OL or RB

Alot of this draft was about improving Bowles defense and spiking his Resume if our D is better

The problem with speculating like this is the possibility MM could have tried to do your deal but couldnt do it..who knows??

I am glad what he DIDNT do and that was to grab another project QB

jmho

James Hasty likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I already did. LOL