2016 New York Yankees Regular Season Thread

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by The Dark Knight, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I don't think that 1927 "Yankees" jersey is accurate. I don't think the team name has ever been spelled out like that.

2. joe

joe Well-Known Member

G'morning Dierking.

Note the Yankees jersey is a road jersey (no pinstripes). The Yanks had "Yankees" across the front of their road jerseys between 1927-1930.

With A's greats Jimmy Foxx and Al Simmons
    [​IMG]

#62 joe, Jun 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  3. joe

joe Well-Known Member

4. Dierking

huh. Just doesn't look right.

5. joe

joe Well-Known Member

I agree it looks weird. The Yanks' have had their arched "New York" road jerseys from 1918 through the present (except for '27-30).

6. Dierking

On this topic, when did the Yanks move to the dull-finish batting helmets? I can't say I dislike the look, beyond just the idea that they're tinkering with the look.

7. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Ike Davis....tells you something about where we're headed

8. Dierking

The Twins are good for what ails you.

9. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

I think Hal Steinbrenner is brain damaged if he thinks the Yankees should be buying at the deadline. But then again if Brian Cashman was my GM I wouldn't want to trade either. Theo Epstein is salivating right now.

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I mean I get how they say it's tough to 'sell' a firesale to the New York fans and they don't want to give away the city to the Mets but anyone who thinks that's the wrong move is oblivious. Now is the time to do it. Try to build the pitching up, while developing the young infield (+Bird next year), and we will certainly have a shot at ending up with Harper/Machado or the lesser players (but still good) in JD Martinez/Fowler/Hosmer. Maybe even one of the big name pitchers.

The trend is moving towards teams being absolutely required to build the team through the farm system. Franchises don't want to let the Mike Trout's of the world hit free agency prior to their 30s, so they're locked up earlier.

We should get as much as we can for Beltran, one or two of the three relievers, maybe give Teixeira away for a lower level prospect if possible.

11. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Michael Pineda looking very sharp, deserved to get the win. He and the bullpen 3-hit the Twins 2-1 - Yanks creep above .500 again.

Why do managers continue pitch to Beltran with men on base and Arod on deck? I'll take it but I don't get it.

12. Dierking

Two walk off wins in a row against a first place team. Ya gotta believe?

13. Jonathan_Vilma

For the sake of the team being at least semi competitive I can understand if they want to keep Beltran so we aren't fielding a joke of a lineup every day. The haul for him would be amazing though, especially for offensively challenged contenders like the Mets or Indians.

But for god sakes, sell the two relievers or at least one of them. I wouldn't mind trying to pawn off Brett Gardner for some prospects either if he has any value to a contender. Teams are resigning their Mike Trout superstars early on in their careers so they don't end up with Alex Rodriguez type production in the 9th and 10th year of their deals. They want their deals to end around age 36 rather than 40.

And this all means that it's becoming a lot harder to build free agency contending teams. Time to tear it down and build it back up ala the late 90's teams.

With Castro & Didi up the middle, Ellsbury in center, promising prospects in Judge, Sanchez and hopefully the return of Byrd, if we could get a future starting pitcher and a corner outfielder, we'd be in great shape. Factor in potentially signing Harper or Machado to record breaking contracts the future is pretty solid looking for this team despite what appears to be an old ass team on the surface.

#73 Jonathan_Vilma, Jul 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
  14. Dierking

3 out of 4 against a first place team. Ya gotta believe?

15. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Muhammad Wilkerson throws out the first pitch tonight at the Stadium (lobbed a girly man strike):

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/21753540/v945141583/balnyy-wilkerson-throws-out-the-first-pitch

Yanks beat the O's 7-1 to go over .500.

Big 3 bullpen gets the night off which is saying something considering this nugget: before tonight, in the last 30 games the Yanks had only won by 3+ runs twice.

Starlin Castro with a rocket into the 2nd deck IN LEFT.

Anthony Swarzak was clutch in relief of Eovaldi who pitched well but tired in the 6th.

16. Dierking

I'm beginning to think that, no matter how mediocre the Yankees are going to be this season, it's a mistake to break up the bullpen. Betances is young and cheap. Miller is under contract for a couple of years. Chapman will cost a fuckload to retain, but he throws 105 and the Yankees certainly have money.

This kind of talent doesn't grow on trees. Not sure I'd let any of them go unless we got an outrageous haul in return, I'm talking at least two can't miss young prospects, one of whom has to be a starter.

17. Jonathan_Vilma

It's almost overkill though. Do we really need all those guys in the pen? If we could improve our starting pitching by trading one or two of them, then they'd be much less of a factor. Not to mention the farm always finds a way to produce reliever talent. Our target in dealing them should be starting pitching.

The best part about it, is that we can go and overpay Chapman in the offseason and get him right back by yielding a pitching prospect for him if they want him so had. Miller is a little trickier, but I'd trade him for a Schwarber or top prospect type of deal. Betances needs to be kept.

18. Dierking

That's an interesting point.

19. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Cubs aren't willing to do Schwarber for Miller apparently.

Personally I'd have no problem with us moving Beltran, Miller and Chapman for almost-ready or ready prospects. Cleveland could be a landing spot for Miller or Chap.

20. Dierking

3 out of 4 against a first place team. Ya gotta believe?