2014 NBA Playoffs Thread

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by soxxx, Apr 18, 2014.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The association has placed far too much importance on free agency than drafting and development. To the point that the draft picks beyond the first 10 or 15 players in the draft are pretty much throw away picks.

The NBA draft is a joke now because teams don't take their picks seriously, because they do not bother to do much scouting. It is either a sure thing or it's a guy surprising immediately or going to the D league to play with scrubs.

They have fashioned their model around the MLB who trade players like one dollar bills in Monopoly instead of doing any real research and maximizing value like the NFL.

The game would be better if they used all of those regular season games to actually develop players instead of trying to create hype driven highlight clips.

2. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Well Spurstalk misses you. Did you buy any championship stuff?

3. abyzmul

How can they miss me when I never posted there?

I haven't bought any of the official stuff yet, I'm waiting for shirts and hats that aren't boring like the stuff they put out initially.

4. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

#3604 soxxx, Jun 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  5. abyzmul

I like a couple of the black fitted caps, I'll probably get one.

Wish I could make the parade, but I'll be working tomorrow miles outside of city limits, and trying to get to something like that downtown is worse than getting downtown right after they win a championship game, when everybody is acting the fool on Commerce.

As soon as FSSW has the program available to record, I'll be saving the parade broadcast.

6. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Its on NBATV from 7-10 tomorrow to. Im still stuck up north....=/

7. abyzmul

Heh, didn't know it would be on NBA TV, don't care though, I'd rather hear it from Sean Elliott and Bill Land, I miss those guys. Usually have to wait until the next season to hear them again.

8. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Basically you want smarter or less meddlesome owners and smarter GMs and coaches. You want owners who are not just in it to make money, but to field a great team by spending money and trusting their basketball guys to make those right basketball decisions. Good luck with that. I would like to think the NBA is shifting that way but then you see the Lakers, Grizzlies, and well most of the EC and there's a long way to go. NBA is terrible with getting organizations on the same page and sticking to it. You need great organizations because coaches don't have the job security to experiment. The high turnover also stunts player development except probably for the superstars of the league. The NBA also needs to make the D League more valuable to college players or post college players. Right now more teams are trying to get their own team and see the value in it, but it's still not on par with going overseas or going to college.

I'm most familiar with the Knicks, but look at some of the players they found in Pablo Prigioni, Copeland, and Lin. All could be valuable back end bench players on a good team. Instead the Knicks are forced to overplay Pablo and don't hide his lack of speed, couldn't resign Cope due to mismanaging money, and had an owner get mad/act dumb at Lin and not offer him a contract. That's just undrafted guys. Think about Shump who was drafted 3 years ago, played in 3 different offensive systems, two different defensive systems, with 2 different HC and does not have a defined role on the team in those 3 years. Or look at the Knicks who resigned Chauncy Billups with one GM then later that summer amnestied Billups with another GM in a transition period. Or forcing a trade for Melo and overpaying even though Melo was going to FA and demanded to be traded to NYK only. All because the owner stepped in.

9. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

o well I dont get FSSW =/

10. abyzmul

You highlight some really big problems in the NBA, really great job in explaining why the association has failed in capitalizing on young talent.

Thanks for the effort you put into that post. I agree with every word.

11. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

The Knicks are a mess, they have had like 4 gms over the past couple years, from Walsh to Grunwald to Mills and now Jackson. Like why was Mills even brought in last year....after free agency was pretty much over? wth

12. displacedfan

If you are interested in two current examples, look at the MJ and Bobcats and the Grizzlies. The Grizzlies seem to be going the wrong way from ownership down while the Bobcats seem to be doing better from owner down. It's still early for both, but if you want to see some of the problems/successes those are two good examples and both "small" market teams too.

13. displacedfan

Loyalty from Dolan. CAA also I think

14. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Ya think they sign Gasol?

15. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

The exit interviews are on NBA.com. Watching brons now

16. displacedfan

Pau? I hope not. He's 33 and the Knicks are not building a team to win now. They need to see if they can trade Chandler before the draft for picks. If not, then try to trade Melo in a sign and trade. Do not sign Melo to the max. If neither happens, use D League players, undrafted guys, and young guys and let them play next year. Go into 2015 with clean books for Phil to make a team. Hope we get to keep Cole Aldrich for another year and play him more.

Shumpert, Toure, Tyler, and THJ need to see a lot of minutes next year.

Gibson and the Miriotic or whoever that overseas guy from Chicago. Parsons and Beverly from Houston with picks from both.

17. abyzmul

Jesus he is a pretentious asshole. And not just because he can't do a postgame press conference without wearing sunglasses like that little kid from A Perfect World.

18. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Well he wasnt wearing sunglasses in the interview im watching. He claims he hasnt taked to Bosh or Wade yet about FA, but hes full of shit. He says hes going on a vacation because he and his family needs it.

19. abyzmul

That's because this isn't the postgame interview I was talking about. I just got done watching this, not sure why you still are unless you started it over.

The sad thing about this exit int is, some stupid Miami reporter asked him about how the extra games every year affected his game, and he rhapsodized about it for close to three minutes. All by himself. Poor little baby has to play finals games every year.

If all of those extra minutes were such a problem, why didn't he bring that up to Spoelstra who had him on Parker defensively for the last four games?

You know, Tony Parker, who went from NBA Regular Season/Postseason to French National Team for three straight years? And had zero time off?

Obviously Parker was more tired than anyone in the NBA.

But yeah, extended seasons are tiring. Fuck that.

20. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Well at least Parkers taking this summer off. Hopefully he doesnt get glass in his eyes partying.